The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by thenorthwind »

A new (to me) phone. Kind of relevant here becasue my old phone died in the torrential rain on the winter Jennride. I would have put it in a waterproof case, but I assumed the pocket in my new Evoc bum bag specifically for a phone would be waterproof. Apparently not. (I also had to get replacements for all my bank cards because the contactless stopped working on all of them :roll: .)

It was quite an old phone, and not worth very much, but I don't like chucking stuff away if I can help it, so I took it apart and found where the problem was, which was on the main circuit board. So I bought an old phone of the same model with a broken screen off eBay for a tenner, and took the the motherboard out of it. In doing so, I somehow managed to dislodge a capacitor so I I had to solder that back on, but I swapped it in and it worked. Except, even after I rooted it and installed a custom ROM on it, it turned out still to be locked to the last owner's Google account. I spent ages trying to find a way round this, but other than paying for some very dodgy-looking services which would claim to get round this, failed.

In the meantime, my wife offered me an old (though newer than mine) phone of hers, which she'd dropped in the few days between buying it, and a screen protector and case arriving, breaking the screen :roll: Also the mic had stopped working, which is why she eventually replaced it. New screen and mic board ordered off eBay, and swapped into the phone, and it was almost as good as new. Again tried to root it and install a custom ROM to try and avoid all the stupid apps and "features" they come with, but it's even more complicated on this phone, and eventually I gave up and just flashed a fresh copy of the stock ROM.

Having finally booted it up, it initially refused to connect to the cell network, and then seemed to work intermittently, receiving messages and voicemails eventually, but unable to make or take calls. Otherwise it was working, so while I figured out what to do with it next, I started using it, but decided not to buy a case and screen protector yet, in case I couldn't fix it. You can see where this is going. The following day at work, trying to message a colleague who I was rushing to meet having given the wrong key, with the caseless phone hard to grip, I dropped it face down onto a tiled floor, with forseeable consequences.

So I ordered a used, working copy of my old phone off eBay for £35, which is what I should have done in the first place, before I wasted hours of valuealbe life and about the same amount of money trying and failing to fix two other phones.

Maybe there's a lesson in there somewhere? Chuck stuff away instead of fixing it? Go back to carrier pigeons?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Top marks for trying though.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:46 am Image

Top marks for trying though.
I genuinely considered taking it out to the garage and doing just that, since it seems destined for the bin anyway.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I'm at the office, but have had an email telling me my new coffee grinder has been delivered... 😁
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

..and dropped off some stuff from Wiggle (Prime Barrouder wheels for the SS gravel bike, a long sleeve dri-release DHB top), and a Giro Cascade insulated vest.

@FLV, www.giro.co.uk have a decent sale on with some polartec alpha pieces at something like 70% off. I went for the gilet to compliment the long sleeve 'full Alpha-lined" Spesh trail jacket I got a few weeks ago. For just over £50 the gilet looks well made, though they've not used a lot of the polartec alpha in the various panels, so probably won't be anything as warm as the Spesh jacket. Sizing similar to the Spesh, again it's the MTB line so slightly more relaxed, so medium good fit at 38" chest, but 36"( :oops: ) waist...

They've got some jacket versions of the Cascade in for slightly more spend...now I'm sorted for autumn/winter/spring, it should be roasting soon :cool:
Last edited by L2R24 on Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

A shiny new Garmin 540 Solar has landed. And on cue so has some decently overcast weather
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Boab

Post by Boab »

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Spare Brand X dropper from Wiggle sale (£25)
2924 miles per Gallon
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A pair of panaracer grovel tyres from Bannanananana industries - a mere £20 each. The down side is that they are light brown and green but once they have been through the local glaur they will be all dark brown....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mart wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:54 pm Spare Brand X dropper from Wiggle sale (£25)
Site now down!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Phew ….. got in there just in time
2924 miles per Gallon
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:21 am A new (to me) phone. Kind of relevant here becasue my old phone died in the torrential rain on the winter Jennride. I would have put it in a waterproof case, but I assumed the pocket in my new Evoc bum bag specifically for a phone would be waterproof. Apparently not. (I also had to get replacements for all my bank cards because the contactless stopped working on all of them :roll: .)

It was quite an old phone, and not worth very much, but I don't like chucking stuff away if I can help it, so I took it apart and found where the problem was, which was on the main circuit board. So I bought an old phone of the same model with a broken screen off eBay for a tenner, and took the the motherboard out of it. In doing so, I somehow managed to dislodge a capacitor so I I had to solder that back on, but I swapped it in and it worked. Except, even after I rooted it and installed a custom ROM on it, it turned out still to be locked to the last owner's Google account. I spent ages trying to find a way round this, but other than paying for some very dodgy-looking services which would claim to get round this, failed.

In the meantime, my wife offered me an old (though newer than mine) phone of hers, which she'd dropped in the few days between buying it, and a screen protector and case arriving, breaking the screen :roll: Also the mic had stopped working, which is why she eventually replaced it. New screen and mic board ordered off eBay, and swapped into the phone, and it was almost as good as new. Again tried to root it and install a custom ROM to try and avoid all the stupid apps and "features" they come with, but it's even more complicated on this phone, and eventually I gave up and just flashed a fresh copy of the stock ROM.

Having finally booted it up, it initially refused to connect to the cell network, and then seemed to work intermittently, receiving messages and voicemails eventually, but unable to make or take calls. Otherwise it was working, so while I figured out what to do with it next, I started using it, but decided not to buy a case and screen protector yet, in case I couldn't fix it. You can see where this is going. The following day at work, trying to message a colleague who I was rushing to meet having given the wrong key, with the caseless phone hard to grip, I dropped it face down onto a tiled floor, with forseeable consequences.

So I ordered a used, working copy of my old phone off eBay for £35, which is what I should have done in the first place, before I wasted hours of valuealbe life and about the same amount of money trying and failing to fix two other phones.

Maybe there's a lesson in there somewhere? Chuck stuff away instead of fixing it? Go back to carrier pigeons?
It's the process Dave. I'm going through a similar process of mine. You have to break the first for the mext to then become available. Well persevered :-bd
redefined_cycles

If anyone wants a used Beand X dropper but one without the remote. Then make me an offer. I'm surw to say yes. Had it on the Pinnacle 3+ but won't fit the SC. It was an upgraded remote (original ones are sub standard IMO) and hence why you only get the dropper. Perfect time to mention it for anyone that might have broken Wiggles site.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Perfect time to mention it for anyone that might have broken Wiggles site.
That was Wiggle it seems. :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

What diameter and drop is it please Shaf?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

An 11 speed cassette, not in itself of much interest but, this will be my last ever parcel from Wiggle/CRC :sad:

Since I got back into cycling in 2007 they've always been there when I needed them. There wasn't even a last packet of Haribo, end of an erea.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Heh...I went to order some sales stuff from CRC and all international postage was closed.

So the postie brought me some fresh M4100 cassettes and 32T rings from elsewhere to freshen up the 10 speeds. And some 'beaters for the lads new bouncer.

Greetz

S : )
redefined_cycles

Bearlegged wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:09 pm What diameter and drop is it please Shaf?
For a moment I thought I was dreaming you'd asked me this. I messaged you the thread with it on but then couldn't find your Q in the Bargain Alert thread.

Let me know and I can resend if you never got the details yet Mr Bear. Pff the top of my head I believe its a 31.something thickness and 100 and something drop :grin: Happy to post btw but equally happy to drop in person if you have a safe spot..
redefined_cycles

An 11 speed cassette, not in itself of much interest but, this will be my last ever parcel from Wiggle/CRC :sad:

Since I got back into cycling in 2007 they've always been there when I needed them. There wasn't even a last packet of Haribo, end of an erea.
Just realised and went to read the reports. So very very sad :sad:
faustus

Post by faustus »

Fear not, Wiggle and CRC are alive again, albeit just a re-tread of all the other myriad Mike Ashley websites. You can probably find what you need on the House of Fraser site just as easily! :roll:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

faustus wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:07 am Fear not, Wiggle and CRC are alive again, albeit just a re-tread of all the other myriad Mike Ashley websites. You can probably find what you need on the House of Fraser site just as easily! :roll:
Yep, just pick which of SD/Evans/HoF/CRC/Wiggle has the best quidco or discount code! 😆
redefined_cycles

You know what I mean (without getting all rude about Spors Direct and the tat they sell or quality thatsbeen turned into tat).
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

...and dropped off a SMD Lunar Solo and a matching BBB carbon pole. Now I just need to find a chance to pitch it, preferably in the rain to see how that goes.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

My dad dropped off a copy of North Wales Pilgrim Way (as seen on TV), wanted to do a pilgrim for a long time and didn’t realise I had one on my doorstep :oops:

Think my dad is keen to do as day walks, so we’ll see as I’d prefer to do it in one go (or maybe two depending on time)
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

...and brought a new GRX mech to replace the 105 one that exploded spectacularly the other day. Thought while I was replacing it, I might as well get something that will cope with a larger cassette without swapping the goat link in and out, shift better, and... be more clutchy. But I can't escape the slightly dirty feeling that I've been gravelled to :oops: