Supertramp 2024: A Challenge

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Supertramp 2024: A Challenge

Post by thenorthwind »

BAM seems to be a great motivator for getting people out the door, and often people do it as part of a bigger trip, but I've been thinking recently how much more rewarding it is to get out for at least two nights in a row. Waking up outside (or, more often, coming round from the final nap of the night and giving up on sleep entirely :wink: ) and having nothing to do other than ride and keep yourself alive until you find another spot to lie down in leaves that day entirely unsullied by the logistics of packing/unpacking/traveling/reintegrating into "normal" society that the first and last days of a trip inevitably involve.

The two monthly challenges I've dabbled with (but not actually completed either) are BAM and its Audax equivalent, Randonneur Round the Year, so taking a cue from Audax's Super Randonneur (rides of 200, 300, 400 and 600km in a season), I propose a challenge...

Supertramp
Ride your bike and stay out for 2, 3, 4, and 6 (at least) consecutive nights on separate rides in 2024.
Rules as per BAM, except any accommodation is acceptable for part of the trip to allow for the unpredictability of longer trips. However, at least half of the nights must be BAM-compliant.

BAM rules refresher:
• At least one night out per calendar month for twelve consecutive months.

• Your own back garden does not count. That of your neighbour does.

* A single trip taking in both the last night of one month and the first of the next, will count as two months if you wish - but you still need 2 nights out, just that they'll be combined within a single trip.

* A bike must be involved - it's bikepacking, the clue's in the name ... 'Involved'? You really don't need me to spell it out do you?

* No paid for accommodation inc' campsites or hostels. Bothies are okay.

* Post each trip here in as much detail as you like, pictures are good. One post for each month please ... if you'd prefer not to post, that's fine. We'll take you at your word but people do like reading the trip reports.
Anyone up for it? It's nice goal even if you don't complete. I'm not 100% sure I'll do it, but plans are falling into place for this year which will pretty much cover it.
fatbikephil

Re: Supertramp 2024: A Challenge

Post by fatbikephil »

Funnily enough Dave, I was thinking earlier that I tend to only sleep out for three maybe four nights at a time on a trip, Highland Trail excepted, and I need to up my game. It was partly why I went for the GBduro as that would be 10 nights straight but for various reasons I'm not doing that now....

So we'll see. Dad is taking quite a long time to recover from a knee replacement so I'm having to nip down home regularly to support Mum and when he comes home will also need to be down there a fair bit so bike riding plans are pretty fluid just now. Hoping to get out for a Cairngorms weekend this month which would be a start but actually looking a bit iffy at the mo....

Good idea though :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Good idea :-bd So to clarify, can we use paid for accommodation during the trip?
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:06 pm Rules as per BAM, except any accommodation is acceptable for part of the trip to allow for the unpredictability of longer trips. However, at least half of the nights must be BAM-compliant.
For example, on Mike's Canals trip last year our nights out were

1 - side of a field next to the canal
2 - side of the ridgeway
3 - the 'interesting campsite' so we could shower and wash our riding clothes after 3 days in 30 degree heat
4 - on the sea defenses just south of Chepstow
5 - top of Gospel Pass
6 - some woods west of Ludlow

So 6 nights out but one or them was paid for.

You might also want to add to the rules that Sean is not allowed to bivi - go to work - ride home for dinner and a shower - bivi - go to work - etc. :lol: I sleep as well out as at home so can go top work as normal.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good idea Dave. Dee and myself were just saying last night how the whole dynamic can change once you begin to add additional nights. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Dont think i will manage the set as 6 days is unlikely but in as i have a few trips planned and can get the lower numbers
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I like this idea, and agree with that simplicity of getting "into the flow"

To complicate things, I have started tacking bikepacking trips onto the ends of other, less bikey trips.

An example is Easter. 3 nights in a bivi/bothy, then 4 days in a mountaineering hut. These days will not be spent biking so I would not count them. I would consider this an entry to the 3 tramps field.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:31 pm Funnily enough Dave, I was thinking earlier that I tend to only sleep out for three maybe four nights at a time on a trip
You're already doing better than me then!
sean_iow wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:19 am Good idea :-bd So to clarify, can we use paid for accommodation during the trip?
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:06 pm Rules as per BAM, except any accommodation is acceptable for part of the trip to allow for the unpredictability of longer trips. However, at least half of the nights must be BAM-compliant.
For example, on Mike's Canals trip last year our nights out were

1 - side of a field next to the canal
2 - side of the ridgeway
3 - the 'interesting campsite' so we could shower and wash our riding clothes after 3 days in 30 degree heat
4 - on the sea defenses just south of Chepstow
5 - top of Gospel Pass
6 - some woods west of Ludlow

So 6 nights out but one or them was paid for.

You might also want to add to the rules that Sean is not allowed to bivi - go to work - ride home for dinner and a shower - bivi - go to work - etc. :lol: I sleep as well out as at home so can go top work as normal.
Yup, paid accommodation fine, even inside if you must, but not more than half the nights, so your example is absolutely fine.

Going home for dinner and a shower is stretching it, but I guess as long as you don't sleep there... I'll leave it up to your conscience :wink:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Quite like that idea and would like to have a go. A night or so inside to rest and recharge the devices we can’t possibly manage without is good.

Part of the inspiration for the original BAM was the randonneur round the year comp which I considered beyond my abilities but managed in 2015.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

PS - love the name
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:33 pm Going home for dinner and a shower is stretching it, but I guess as long as you don't sleep there... I'll leave it up to your conscience :wink:
Even with my lack of conscience I'd say going home is outright cheating :lol:

It's a great idea though (as is classic BAM) and I'm now looking at the weather over Easter off the back of this to see if I can get a multi-nigt trip in.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Talk about upping the ante; I'm still counting hours, not days. Maybe once the kids are a bit older - not even sure I could get away with two nights at this point. Loving the concept though and sounds like a few are well on the way there already.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I'll give it a go. Should be able to knock off 6 'n 4 during May 'n June tramping around UK....3 might be trickier with time limits for rest of year and will require creative thinking but 2 should be reachable with a weekender.

Greetz

S. : )
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Sounds ace but I doubt I'll get 6 nights out in a row without taking early retirement. A Super Randonneur seems easy compared to Supertramp, with a 600km fitting comfortably inside 2 days.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Veey temptee by this thanks Dave. Why be Tramp when one can be SuperTramp. 6 sounds scary though.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Cracking idea. Not sure I’ll manage it in 2024 but it’s a great goal to aim for.

Hmmm … now, technically, a night on the sleeper train appears to count according to the rules. Seems wrong but then it’s a lot less comfy than a B&B (or even a half-decent bivy if you’re in a seat). 🧐
Verena

Post by Verena »

Great idea!

I agree two nights out feel completely different from just one.

Not sure at all that I'd manage it this year (as foolishly aiming for super Randonneur this year) (keep saying that bit again of how 600 is "easy"?!?!), having already "failed" at Randonneur around the year...

If six nights in a row I might need to get that dog trailer out into use again :lol: