This chap has turned up at our local gravel ride

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

This chap has turned up at our local gravel ride

Post by pistonbroke »

Tomorrow there's a gravel race starting about 10mins down the road from us which runs through the hills of the lower Ebro valley. It's grown considerably in the 4 years it's been going. I saw a famous name on the start list this year and bugger me if it was the same.
voodoo_simon

Re: This chap has turned up at our local gravel ride

Post by voodoo_simon »

Ermmm, don’t want to be that guy but I’m not great with faces nor names… :oops:
chris n

Post by chris n »

Guy on the right looks like Rupert Murdoch, but I didn't think he was into cycling
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:57 am Ermmm, don’t want to be that guy but I’m not great with faces nor names… :oops:
Sean Yates
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Dyffers wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:01 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:57 am Ermmm, don’t want to be that guy but I’m not great with faces nor names… :oops:
Sean Yates
I did think that just before I posed (only because of the ear ring) but the Marin hoody completely threw me. Was initially thinking one of the repack lads from back in the day (again, due to the hoody) :oops:
psling

Post by psling »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:07 pm
I did think that just before I posed (only because of the ear ring) but the Marin hoody completely threw me. Was initially thinking one of the repack lads from back in the day (again, due to the hoody) :oops:
I'm not surprised the Marin hoody threw you, it's "Made in" !!! :lol: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

chris n wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:59 am Guy on the right looks like Rupert Murdoch, but I didn't think he was into cycling
That's Duncan. Pizton Broke who started the thread.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

psling wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:24 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:07 pm
I'm not surprised the Marin hoody threw you, it's "Made in" !!! :lol: :wink:
Time for another coffee and then specsavers for me :lol: :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The Thompson Twins haven’t aged well
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

:lol:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Dyffers wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:01 pm Sean Yates
?
I know Simon Yates - the rope cutter :lol: (Touching the Void made him "famous").
But Sean Yates?
Before I look him up myself, ask a chatbot search engine, I'd prefer a Bearboner explain him to me... please? Thanks :YMHUG:
psling wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:24 pm I'm not surprised the Marin hoody threw you, it's "Made in" !!!
read Marin at first too.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:47 pm
Dyffers wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:01 pm Sean Yates
?
I know Simon Yates - the rope cutter :lol: (Touching the Void made him "famous").
But Sean Yates?
Before I look him up myself, ask a chatbot search engine, I'd prefer a Bearboner explain him to me... please? Thanks :YMHUG:
psling wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:24 pm I'm not surprised the Marin hoody threw you, it's "Made in" !!!
read Marin at first too.
Short answer - ex pro cyclist

Medium answer - I’m going to answer this without fact checking Google in the spirit of your reply - Bit of a cult British cyclist known for being hard/tough. Better known for time trailing and riding on the front of bunches/pelotons for a long time, guess bit of a Rouleur, definitely rode for Motorola, maybe 7eleven too? Worked for Sky at one stage too.

Long answer - check Google :-bd (and google his legs too…)
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Where to start, 12 Tours de France as a rider, yellow jersey wearer and stage winner as well as multiple stage wins in the Vuelta, 8 TdF as Directeur Sportive including 2012 where he headed up team Sky, engineering Bradley Wiggins as first UK winner. Multiple British Champion on the road, track and time trialling. More controversially was described as Lance Armstrong's Leiutenant, mainly in his pre-cancer Motorola days but some of the dark days as well. Lives and breathes cycling and both his sons Liam and Jesse are at the top of the ultra cycling game.

Dave, I was thinking more chuckle brothers but hey-ho
jobro

Post by jobro »

When Sean was a young lad he did one of our Sunday 25 mile TT's. He beat the entire field by 5 minutes. Time keeper accused him of cutting the course :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

pistonbroke wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:59 pm Where to start, 12 Tours de France as a rider, yellow jersey wearer and stage winner as well as multiple stage wins in the Vuelta, 8 TdF as Directeur Sportive including 2012 where he headed up team Sky, engineering Bradley Wiggins as first UK winner. Multiple British Champion on the road, track and time trialling. More controversially was described as Lance Armstrong's Leiutenant, mainly in his pre-cancer Motorola days but some of the dark days as well. Lives and breathes cycling and both his sons Liam and Jesse are at the top of the ultra cycling game.

Dave, I was thinking more chuckle brothers but hey-ho
Not old enough 😀
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Cheers folks :-bd

I'm sure there's some info in your answers Google or Chatbots don't know about.

Well now it kind of should know since it's on here, but that wasn't my intention.