GB Duro Entries open

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Re: GB Duro Entries open

Post by Lazarus »

Rooley Moor Road for death by cobble
Thankfully it's not at all bleak there so the views will make up for the struggle.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

riderdown wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:55 pm
I've the current route GPX and I didn't see anything that wasn't legal - will be looking closely at the route if I get that far!
It's the section off Rochdale Road at Fecit Lane/ Coal Road and the run along the wind turbines. There's a locked gate because it's footpath only. After a short run on the bridleway it's off it again passing Cragg High level tank, then Cowpe Reservoir before rejoining the bridleway

It's all well used by locals

I would have sent them up the canal from Manchester to Rochdale, a bit on the cycleway then up Rooley Moor Road for death by cobbles which is distinctly more of a test and completely legal for an organised event you could even send them around Cragg and Lee Quarries and some of the features there for added dramatic scenery
Got you - does seem a bit odd to do that. Mebbes one to do at dark O'clock then....
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Mebbes one to do at dark O'clock then....
Day or night locals ride it so it's not controversial cheeky, emx, Mx and quad bikes are the big problem, if you ride it you'll spot where they have been as they don't care about the damage
Thankfully it's not at all bleak there so the views will make up for the struggle.
When the skylarks sing it's heaven
slarge

Post by slarge »

I had a place last year, but threw away the entry fee as I couldn't get excited about it. Not sure why not, but I think the semi race idea (4 stages), and the logistics, and the idea of it being green, but not really, turned me off....
I think if Alan G organised something like this I'd be all over it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've got a place if I pay up. Will give it some thought as in two minds now....
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm in and think I'm going to give it a bash. The only show stopper for me will be the tracker as I binned my SPOT and invested in an InReach. Waiting to hear on that
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm in and think I'm going to give it a bash.
I shall look forward to the stories, book, film and family board game Dave. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Boab wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:17 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:36 pm We'll see - the entry questionnaire still required you to have an instagram account, even though it doesn't get used for tracking. So I just put a gobbildigook name in and I think I got some of the questions wrong...
That's a hard no from me then. Shouldn't have to tell someone why they shouldn't be using ̶F̶a̶c̶e̶b̶o̶o̶k̶ Meta products, especially when there are equivalents that aren't run by cnuts.
Here here... Why the heck do they want my to open a facebook or Insta page! Not that I'd ever make it tot rh start line due to othwr costs and fitness etc. Well said Bob...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

NB and on a side note (and mods please feel free to delete this comment) but I find it incredible when people - not necessarily us - can mention Lachlan Mortons emissions/CO2 cost but don't give a sh*te about the amount of CO2 the tonnes of bombs that the current genocide is creating.

Pardon my french, but... Screwed up world!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:30 am
I'm in and think I'm going to give it a bash.
I shall look forward to the stories, book, film and family board game Dave. :-bd
Sadly won't happen now. I have to be at work w/c 2nd Sept. I'm not fast enough to get it done and be back for that.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:55 pm
Boab wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:17 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:36 pm We'll see - the entry questionnaire still required you to have an instagram account, even though it doesn't get used for tracking. So I just put a gobbildigook name in and I think I got some of the questions wrong...
That's a hard no from me then. Shouldn't have to tell someone why they shouldn't be using ̶F̶a̶c̶e̶b̶o̶o̶k̶ Meta products, especially when there are equivalents that aren't run by cnuts.
Here here... Why the heck do they want my to open a facebook or Insta page! Not that I'd ever make it tot rh start line due to othwr costs and fitness etc. Well said Bob...
Especially when Meta's carbon footprint running various social media platforms is massive. At least a trip to the Starr in a car is finite, images on insta stored for an eternity will be ongoing.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:04 pm NB and on a side note (and mods please feel free to delete this comment) but I find it incredible when people - not necessarily us - can mention Lachlan Mortons emissions/CO2 cost but don't give a sh*te about the amount of CO2 the tonnes of bombs that the current genocide is creating.

Pardon my french, but... Screwed up world!
I appreciate your frustration but by those standards nothing would be worth talking about as it would always be less important that human lives.
RIP

Post by RIP »

johnnystorm wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:38 am Especially when Meta's carbon footprint running various social media platforms is massive.
"According to Greenspector, there were 4.33bn social media users globally in May 2021. Across the 10 social media platforms the company looked at, their combined use adds up to 262m tonnes CO2e. That’s 0.61% of global emissions, or almost the same as the carbon footprint of Malaysia".

And that excludes all the cat videos wasting storage on Youtube (702bn grammes/yr CO2). And photographs that nobody ever looks back at on all the hosting platforms, such as, er, my 700 or so in my Flickr account solely for the purposes of posting them here. And don't even mention the CO2 emissions of crypto currencies either. Ho hum.

Aaaaand back to GB Duro :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
pete68

Post by pete68 »

Did the gbduro in 21. Was a pretty good event but with some odd rules. They were trying hard to encourage less represented groups, many of whom had little experience. They were nearly all out of the main group immediately as they couldn't make the cut offs.
At least most of these rules have been scrapped now.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've ducked out of the group start as I'm keeping hols free to help mum and dad. I think I will just do a ride up the route one time but probably not this year.