Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by RIP »

faustus wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:49 am
sean_iow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:47 am I heard the longing for proper controls in cars like we used to have is...

Knobstalgia :lol:
:lol: Sign me up! I want a bumper sticker too!
Well, I also prefer it when one has to, er, flick a stalk up and down to activate something, so can we have a sticker for that too please while we're at it? :grin:

In a different life I deal with machines that have a lot of pipework with flowing oil, water and fuel. There are a number of flow control components in this pipework which are called... of course.... cocks. It's not unknown for a cock to need a bit encouragement to operate after lack of use. Sometimes after the encouragement you get a sudden flow which can be hard to control. Sticker?
Last edited by RIP on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As we've kinda just touched on analogue, I'm hoping for a cheery Friday as this is coming tomorrow. Apologies in advance as it's now a certainty that the next 4 weeks will be very wet.

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mmm. Looks fun! But I have to say I'm not keen on the 'flowing' lines style-wise. Reminds me of the fashion for horrible formed S-shaped downtubes on MTBs, for example the nasty object below. Gimme nice straight lines every time. Eye of the beholder and all that of course :grin:

Last edited by RIP on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'Tis true, they are a bit Marmite Reg :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Amen to that, it's fun to have a bit of shock-value :smile: . Looks a bit like a beetle or something out of Aliens.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

That looks a nice thing Stu and suitably analogue. Re the touch screen stuff - it's even appearing on modern motorbikes - give me a shoogly needle on a clock any day!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Indeed Phil, the fuel gauge involves removing the cap and giving the tank a shake :wink:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:18 am As we've kinda just touched on analogue, I'm hoping for a cheery Friday as this is coming tomorrow. Apologies in advance as it's now a certainty that the next 4 weeks will be very wet.

That's nice stu, looks good (sidestand aside!). :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

(sidestand aside!)
Paddock stand's stopping it from sitting as it should in that pic Zip ... the good news is that it's now here and the odd news is that it transpires the bloke I bought it off used to live 50 yards from me in the Peak.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmmm. Once again I was idly contemplating spending 10 large on a new (motor)bike the other day but I've cooled again seeing something like that...
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:18 am As we've kinda just touched on analogue, I'm hoping for a cheery Friday as this is coming tomorrow. Apologies in advance as it's now a certainty that the next 4 weeks will be very wet.

Very Nice . Liking the peg holding the choke out!
I had the White Lightning ( technically a Lightning Strike as mine was Orange and Nuclear Blue) fabulous bike. Banke Shifter, lighter flywheel, polished swinging arm off the X1 (like yours), full race system you couldn't keep any baffling in, American gearing ( now I wouldn't have that or the lighter flywheel as I lost loads of engine braking after fitting it). Used to take it up to Maz in Manchester ... UKBEG etc ... vaguely exciting bike.
I had it 13 years, then as it sat in the garage for ages I sold it, sadly. Ended up in Australia I believe.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Once again I was idly contemplating spending 10 large on a new (motor)bike the other day but I've cooled again seeing something like that...
This was less than 1/3 of that Phil with the added bonus that it should only ever go up in value.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm, hmm and thrice hmmmm....
Plus you don't have to fanny about taking it to a dealers to service...
Anyone want to buy a Triumph tiger 800?
Anyway, enough of all that, off oot West this eve for another weekend of drinking beer and woodland management. In a break with tradition the weather looks better over there than anywhere else :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:58 am drinking beer and woodland management
Nice. Just planted ten black poplars at the river this morning. Ultra rare these days. Tea and biscuit break.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

I've just joined the RSF :-bd
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Seems to be that day again then.

Just partaken of a pleasant luncheon. Chatted with my pal at the Council about how he's going to spend the £1m we managed to wangle for new cycleways and footpaths around the town, so that was nice.

Will shortly ride to the station and furnish myself with an off-peak old-fogies return to Stoke on Trent - that unjustifiable Crap Towns chart topper - then board the 15.25 accompanied by my velocipedal conveyance and sundry overnight accoutrements. One hour one minute and 112 miles later I shall disembark, and from then on lots of things could go horribly wrong so I'm not going to tempt fate by divulging further at this point.

Have a jolly weekend!
Last edited by RIP on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:04 pm
Just partaken of a pleasant luncheon. Chatted with my pal at the Council about how he's going to spend the £1m we managed to wangle for new cycleways and footpaths around the town, so that was nice.
Hope you put that on the expense account :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:12 pm
He bought me a pint :smile: . Seems a good deal on his part in exchange for assistance obtaining the said £1m. I'm easily bought me :smile: .

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:36 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:12 pm
He bought me a pint :smile: . Seems a good deal on his part in exchange for assistance obtaining the said £1m. I'm easily bought me :smile: .
Everyone has a price :-bd :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Given the gales I've swapped dry stone walling for some database normalisation. As you do :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:04 pm Just partaken of a pleasant luncheon. Chatted with my pal at the Council about how he's going to spend the £1m we managed to wangle for new cycleways and footpaths around the town, so that was nice.
Based on the rates for HS2 I'd estimate that £1M will be enough to construct nearly 12m of new cycle path :wink: that's just over 13 yards for older readers.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:00 pm some database normalisation
Blimey, that takes me back. Databases tended to be abnormal after I'd finished fiddling with them though :smile: ..

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:27 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:04 pm Just partaken of a pleasant luncheon. Chatted with my pal at the Council about how he's going to spend the £1m we managed to wangle for new cycleways and footpaths around the town, so that was nice.
Based on the rates for HS2 I'd estimate that £1M will be enough to construct nearly 12m of new cycle path :wink: that's just over 13 yards for older readers.
I'm peripherally involved in a project that will build 10k of cycleway for c£10m. It's quite a wide cycleway mind :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:42 pm
sean_iow wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:27 pm
I'm peripherally involved in a project that will build 10k of cycleway for c£10m. It's quite a wide cycleway mind :grin:
You win, Phil :grin: .

Boab

Post by Boab »

Just about to go and shove 1KG of coffee beans through my new grinder. I'm like a kid with a new toy... 😀
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.