Bikepacking race tips from a pro...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Bikepacking race tips from a pro...

Post by faustus »

Some hilarious wisdom from Alexandera Houchin. She's so damn cool. I'd not heard the phrase 'constipation cookie' before :lol: There's lots of honest thoughts on how to deal with pee stops and periods; an extra layer of difficulty that men don't have to think about, but should remember is a thing for others. :ugeek:
https://theradavist.com/alexandera-houc ... ing-hacks/
Dave Barter

Re: Bikepacking race tips from a pro...

Post by Dave Barter »

I loved that article! Especially the Clif Bar observation. I learnt that one the hard way
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah good article.

"of all the things I sought... bikepacking... community prevails". :smile: Aww, sniff, <sheds a small tear>. 'Tis true. :-bd

Some awe-inspiringly graphic details about "personal hygiene" :-bd

Oh, can we get the swear filter to change "stoked" to "chuffed" please? :wink: [oh! it does :-bd ]
Last edited by RIP on Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:00 pm Especially the Clif Bar observation
"After I managed to blast that turd out, I turned to see how big it surely was (*). To my surprise (and heartbreak), it was only the size of a quarter and looked precisely like the Clif bar I was eating (yes, eating while you poop does save time.)".

X_X

(*) C'mon, we've all done it :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Somewhere there is a video of me eating a poo off the floor. Rest assured it was a Clif Bar we formed into a sausage shape
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:07 pm video of me eating a poo off the floor
This is already turning out to be my personal favourite thread of the year :grin:

Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

I'm sure his name is out there on the interwebs somewhere, but we still laugh at the bloke who attempted to beat (at the time) Paul Teirney's record for running the Wainwrights, and was fuelling this on protein cookies alone. If I recall correctly, he lost his waterproofs in a gale and called it off but we do wonder if he ever shat again.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

In 2019 hiking 3000 miles from Mexico to canada up the length of the great Divide I ate well over 900 Cliff Bars, most of them the chocolate mint or white chocolate macademia variety. I think the record was 10 in one day. The combination of that plus the 200g of oatmeal and chocate and vanilla flavour carnation breakfast every morning had me sh#tting , while not quite through the eye of a needle, it was barely indestinguishable from my breakfast.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:50 pm In 2019 hiking 3000 miles from Mexico to canada up the length of the great Divide I ate well over 900 Cliff Bars, most of them the chocolate mint or white chocolate macademia variety. I think the record was 10 in one day. The combination of that plus the 200g of oatmeal and chocate and vanilla flavour carnation breakfast every morning had me sh#tting , while not quite through the eye of a needle, it was barely indestinguishable from my breakfast.
And I thought it was bear scat on the trail as I rode down…
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Good single speed vibes too :mrgreen:
I've eaten 4 energy bars in my life and that was 4 too many - they are all over priced crap. Powders and gels taste like something you use to clean the bathroom...
A Pork pie on the other hand! (And with an apple and a lump of cheese makes a meal fit for any royalty you care to mention)
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:18 pm A Pork pie on the other hand! (And with an apple and a lump of cheese makes a meal fit for any royalty you care to mention)
There are insufficient words of praise for the role of the humble pork pie in bikepacking. The memories of the one (or two) I got from a little shop in Castleton, well, I have never tasted something so tasty.