Which chain lube?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BridlewayBimbler

Which chain lube?

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

Afternoon all.

As per title what's everyone's favourite/recommended?

Cheers. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Re: Which chain lube?

Post by redefined_cycles »

That South African invention, Smoove. Appears to work on the mtb and lasts 100s of miles. But, on the road bike after about 400 miles it becomes a bit junky!! Also, in thw winter and with the grit/salts the chain corrodes.

Last we had this discussion on here a few people suggested Flower Power by Mariposa (or something like that).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Road bike gets a melted wax lube. Tried it on mtb but it gives out drastically mid ride road lasts about 4-500 miles

Mtb whatever merlin *advise as they all seem much of a muchness to me.

* the bike shop not the wizard
Last edited by Lazarus on Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I got some hagen dip wax liquid wax that's been pretty good. Dump the chain in the cleaning bag, leave for 20 mins, then dry. I tend to clean it first in the ultrasonic cleaner to get as much of the crap off of it before the cleaning bag. Then dump it in the wax bag, leave for 20 mins then dry. Seems to last a few hundred road km's and about 200 off road.

I'd get another bag when it runs out, so far it's done about 4-5 goes and it seems to have enough for another 2-3 perhaps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B ... UTF8&psc=1
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

After nearly 30 years with different lubes, starting off as a teenager with the "universal chain lube" from the hardware shop, I went full circle and have been using it again for the last couple of years. I don't find the bike specific stuff to be any better, just much more expensive.
Worst of all lubes is any of MucOff's liquids. You'd be better off rubbing your chain with an old rancid salami.
Also like the fact, that the cheap lube I use works well in dry and wet.
Give it a try, perhaps the hardware/home improvement/DIY shop near you has a cheap chain lube that works well too.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I try not to, ahem, wax lyrical about it too much, but I'm a big fan of hot wax. I put a freshly waxed chain on before this weekend's winter Jennride and even after a pretty solid 48 hours of rain, fords and mud of all varieties, it was still running fairly smoothly.

Previously used Putoline but currently GLF Wax which is a bit nicer to use and more effective (full disclosure: the guy sent me some to try for free).
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Alpinum wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:49 am Worst of all lubes is any of MucOff's liquids. You'd be better off rubbing your chain with an old rancid salami.
Admittedly I've not tried rancid salami, but I don't doubt you'd be right.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Didn’t realise how bad muc off lube was until I recently switched over to Peatys all conditions (I think that is what it is called - it’s half clear half blue liquid). Night and day difference, impressed with Peatys stuff :-bd
BridlewayBimbler

Last edited by BridlewayBimbler on Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BridlewayBimbler

Yes, I've heard all sorts of horror stories about Muc Off lubes turning to grinding paste at the first hint of mud and rain! :shock: :o
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ah, good. Not just me then (the MucOff experience).
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Smoove on the mtb.

Any old wet lube on the road bike. The detailed science behind my decision for the road bike is purely that it sees less Lancashire grit on the road.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Currently using Squirt lube seems ok, a real test for it was last years BB200 and it worked pretty well considering what it had to deal with. Wiped down and re-applied at Rhayader after all the rivers just as a precaution really to ensure it was smooth to the end unlike myself :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I've used many chain lubes over the years. My favourite is Squirt as it keeps my chain the cleanest out of all the lubes I've tried. After a ride I clean my bike thoroughly and wipe the chain with a rag and that's all I need to do. I top up the lube if I've been in atrocious conditions but otherwise it lasts quite a few rides before I feel the need to add more.