Bivvy a Month 2024

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benconnolli

Re: Bivvy a Month 2024

Post by benconnolli »

Being a land lubber from Birmingham, ferries feel proper adventurous to me. The smaller the better. This route was created to hunt one out, then smash some classic climbs.

I had mildly more purpose to this bimbley bike ride than usual; my destination was a mountaineering hut where I was planning to meet up with some of the club for a weekend up the fells.

Packing was the standard. Make list in head of all the usual suspects, add in specialities (in this case a FULL change of clothes and towel for the club meet), try to stuff it all in. Fail. Chuck crap out. Forget spare inner tube. Go.

Dinner was supermarket car park buffet, brekkie was pain-au-chocolat (my favourite type of pain), snacks were random muck, and I was just about in a pub for lunch.

The key features of the ride were; the Windamere ferry, the massive Wrynose and Hardknott passes, their descents, scrambling with my bike over one shoulder and grabbing onto rocks with the other, pushing my bike well beyond it's limits smashing rock gardens substantial enough to give Notcutts a run for their money, that inexplicable feeling of freedom that I've only ever managed to grasp at when travelling self supported.

Glad I did it and had such fun company for rest of the trip!
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Winter Jennride. I'm claiming this as Februarys BaM, despite using the campsite facilities - I'll take an * for recieving outside support if that's what it takes :lol:

Couldn't have been any wetter on that first day. The riding was great and heading into Langdale, my thoughts were on a bowl of chips from ODG, and how to enjoy them with so much wet gear to deal with.

I decided to get on the camp site, sort the tent out and get something dry on. Once in the tent though, the thought of leaving again in the rain and getting my only dry clothes soaked, soon lost its appeal.

15 hours in the tent, only leaving once (in my undies, in the rain) to relocate after the stream level rose high enough to create a new watercourse straight through my pitch. Apparently the groundsheet on the Telemark isn't waterproof when fully submerged!

Day 2 was ace. The weather great, the Lake District stunning, the occasional company seemed to be enjoying themselves again, and the Alpkit angels at their pop-up feed station were lovely.

Top weekend!

2024 BaM 2*/12 :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hyppy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:00 pm We need BB username badges! I hope I spoke to all of you doing the JennRide—Whitestone, we spoke on Walna Scar Road today—but I wish I'd been able to put names to faces at the time.
But where to put them? On the back of the bike/seat pack so that riders know who they are passing/being overtaken by, on our jacket lapel for the pub(but then is it left or right lapel)? We need Reg to sort this all out!

I take it you were the rider in the orange helmet who passed us on the short climb from the Walna car park?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hyppy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:00 pm We need BB username badges!
[EDIT: oh sorry, Bob, just retrospectively seen your post above so I've inadvertently repeated the front/back problems you pointed out :wink: ]

I sometimes think that too.

Of course some of the older versions of BBB jerseys had the option of putting names on the back. The only problem having the name on the back was that viewers could only see it when you were going away rather than heading towards you or standing in front. This might lead to this sort of interaction: "Oh.. hello... er.... I wonder who this is.. I'm sure I recognise them.... oh... er... <forlornly>..goodbye.. er, Reg" I suppose you could lean round while you were talking to the person but that might get you a funny look.

When the red and black chequered flag jerseys came out there was no 'name on the back' option. I therefore took matters into my own hands and cut my own letters out and glued them on the front and back!

We could always get hold of some of those safety-pinned paper-slip-in-plastic-holder type of badges that they have at nasty corporate conferences, but that would then give a very different feel to Stu's yard at a BBB 'event' - we'd have to have trade stands, group workshops, eat vol-au-vents standing up (remember them?), and wear cheap plastic suits.

Need to ponder this one a bit further.

Cutting the 'g' out was a blinkin' nightmare...

Last edited by RIP on Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

whitestone wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:39 am But where to put them? On the back of the bike/seat pack so that riders know who they are passing/being overtaken by, on our jacket lapel for the pub(but then is it left or right lapel)? We need Reg to sort this all out!
I take it you were the rider in the orange helmet who passed us on the short climb from the Walna car park?
RIP wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:42 am I sometimes think that too.
I was in an orange jacket with a Kendal CC logo on the back.
Name badges are evidently a logistical pain, and nobody wants a secret handshake from a stagnant water stinking cycling glove, so perhaps just a gang-like hand symbol is required. :-H Mind you, then I'd be worried about getting it wrong and dying in a ride-by shooting called by the YACF crew. :lol:

Have there ever been Bear Bones stickers? Even without a name, seeing a BB sticker on a helmet or bike would at least give me a better chance of spotting forumites and [re]introducing myself.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hyppy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:34 am Have there ever been Bear Bones stickers?
Uh-oh. Yeah, loads. How many do you want? :grin: .

Just a few of the many plastered over my iron horse:

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When we did/attempted the French Divide we were each given a cycling cap with our name on the underside of the peak. Might be an idea.

The BB jerseys (in whatever colour) are quite distinctive so even without names they are something of an ice breaker: "So who are you on the forums then?" OK for the pub/café but out on the trail when it's as grim as Saturday then you'd need a full range of inclement weather apparel so designed.

The stickers are fine for the bike so long as they aren't covered in mud, plus they take a bit of spotting anyway when you are actually riding.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Post by Boab »

Here's one for the BaM lawyers... Was pondering last night, as I'm about to go on call on Wednesday and am feeling a bit rubbish; it'll be last chance saloon when I get off. Can I ride my bike on the rollers, pitch the tent outside my garden, on someone else's land (paddocks), then ride my bike on the rollers again in the morning, and have it count as a BaM...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Ooh, I can hear some teeth-sucking on the compliance and ethics committee (think the Verderer's court for ditch sleeping https://www.verderers.org.uk/verderers-court/) :grin:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Riding on rollers strikes me as sufficiently masochistic to qualify for BAM, but 🤷
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well that's certainly an interesting one. Considering some past insane endeavours on these threads it may even be deemed completely reasonable.
faustus wrote: Ooh, I can hear some teeth-sucking on the compliance and ethics committee (think the Verderer's court for ditch sleeping https://www.verderers.org.uk/verderers-court/) :grin:
:grin:

I offer the Rules/rules up for inspection by the court as a reminder below.

Please now retire and consider your verdict.

• At least one night out per calendar month for twelve consecutive months.

• Your own back garden does not count. That of your neighbour does.

* A single trip taking in both the last night of one month and the first of the next, will count as two months if you wish - but you still need 2 nights out, just that they'll be combined within a single trip.

* A bike must be involved - it's bikepacking, the clue's in the name ... 'Involved'? You really don't need me to spell it out do you?

* No paid for accommodation inc' campsites or hostels. Bothies are okay.
Last edited by RIP on Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

RIP wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:46 am
Hyppy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:34 am Have there ever been Bear Bones stickers?
If Stu is reading, any chance of a reprint and being added to the shop?
RIP

Post by RIP »

To be honest I don't think you even need to bother with the rollers. Just riding from your door to the paddock would count.

During lockdown I rode 50 feet down our garden and pitched next to the pond and that counted. Admittedly that was governed by Emergency Rules with gardens allowed. I even rode my Brompton round our house and bivvied in our spare bedroom during lockdown which also counted as a BaM.

We did have a contest over who has ridden the shortest distance from home to a bivvy spot a while ago, but I don't think we had an obvious winner so maybe this is your opportunity...
Last edited by RIP on Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Hyppy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:33 pm
RIP wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:46 am
If Stu is reading, any chance of a reprint and being added to the shop?
I can send you some of those "I've been brave" panda stickers if that helps :smile: .

gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

@Boab if you can cycle less than 80 yards you'll have beaten my record from last year.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

After a lot of indecision i finally persuaded myself to get out for my February bivvy last night luckily i had given myself the day off today . I had hoped to go to the Black mountains but a phone call yesterdsay morning put paid to that idea so a local one was required i took a long route to my intended bivvy spot but it was very windy so i went back to a previous location on the sheltered side of the hills .After a bit of squelching around bed was made and a decent by my standards nights sleep was had .
ImagePXL_20240218_223345272 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
A nice dawn chorus at a sensible hour woke me up so a brew and some breakfast before packing up was enjoyed .
ImagePXL_20240219_070139910 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
The rain that was forecast didnt materialise so i took a long and windy route home God was clearly looking for someone
ImagePXL_20240219_075728540 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I stopped for a wander around a churchyard does anyone know this person
ImagePXL_20240204_115658940 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Thats the two done for this year .
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I was in an orange jacket with a Kendal CC logo on the back.
Should be asking on the WJ thread, but was it you riding with Jamie Hyppy?
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

boxelder wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:45 pm
Well done with seeing that out, our trio reached the checkpoint at the end of the coach road and then stayed on the road back to Staveley..went home after grub at Hawkshead Brewery and got in bed :-bd
Sun was out today, and no rain. Good to bump into you again, and I remembered the other time we'd met as my mind was churning away, trying to ignore the rain - F300 (your 'gravel' bike was the only one with 3" tyres :-bd )
Nice one Andy..I was fantasising about fast 3" tyres instead of my daft grippy 4.8" on Saturday :lol:
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

whitestone wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:10 am When we did/attempted the French Divide we were each given a cycling cap with our name on the underside of the peak. Might be an idea.

The BB jerseys (in whatever colour) are quite distinctive so even without names they are something of an ice breaker: "So who are you on the forums then?" OK for the pub/café but out on the trail when it's as grim as Saturday then you'd need a full range of inclement weather apparel so designed.

The stickers are fine for the bike so long as they aren't covered in mud, plus they take a bit of spotting anyway when you are actually riding.
I think good quality caps would be an ace idea :cool:
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:37 pm "I've been brave" panda stickers
Also available from your local dentist :d
May you always have tail wind.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Boab wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:27 am Here's one for the BaM lawyers... Was pondering last night, as I'm about to go on call on Wednesday and am feeling a bit rubbish; it'll be last chance saloon when I get off. Can I ride my bike on the rollers, pitch the tent outside my garden, on someone else's land (paddocks), then ride my bike on the rollers again in the morning, and have it count as a BaM...?
Looks like an innovative way of complying with the rules :-bd .
May you always have tail wind.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think it's reasonable to allow everyone one slightly iffy bivvy a year, whereby a looser interpretation of the rules is permitted. If you intend to have a slightly iffy bivvy, please write (in writing) to the BAM adjudicator, CO BB towers, Wales; at least 6 months in advance of said iffy bivvy. Do not commence iffy bivvy until written permission is received from the adjudicating panel, which will be not more, or less, than 6 months after receipt of letter. a penance may be imposed which will be determined by Reg.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

We need a special triplicate form to fill in. Pink copy sent to BB Towers for approval, blue copy to Phil for the files, yellow copy retained by the prospective BaMee and to be made available for perusal upon request by the BaM Inspectors during said iffy bivvy. Some of the more remote spots would not have permanent on-site Inspectors but would still be subject to random checks by the mobile inspection team.

EDIT: Just thinking about it, with our propensity for Doing Things Properly and giving things their proper names, I do wonder if - and I'm treading carefully here - this entire thread is slightly misnamed. Surely Bivvy a Month implies 'for a month? Should it not be Bivvy per Month? A little late after ten years but it's never too late to Do Things Properly.

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:26 pm slightly iffy bivvy
A Biffy?

Not to be confused with a Biffa, which most people would probably consider more than slightly iffy, though maybe not Reg.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:04 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:26 pm slightly iffy bivvy
Biffa
Ah well - happily - that would be a Whiffy Iffy Bivvy :grin:

Any more for any more? In fact I'm pretty sure I know what's coming next, but go on....