OT: Cheapest way to (entering) a trail half marathon!?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

OT: Cheapest way to (entering) a trail half marathon!?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Does anyone have any ideas of how/where yo enter a half marathon off roader pls!? I'm trying to stay as close to home as poss but also not pay an arm/leg to enter. Maybe a tenner or so.

Am hoping it'll push me get out for some serious cardiovascular training so I'm not lagging when the time comes for things like the BB200 and all that. Any advice appreciated. Less muddy the better, but I'll be hopefully training locally in the mud (I think).
thenorthwind

Re: OT: Cheapest way to (entering) a trail half marathon!?

Post by thenorthwind »

Fell races are often very informal and cheap to enter. Different distances but you'll probably find one close enough to 13 miles.

Or just go for a 13 mile run?
redefined_cycles

Need some forceful motivation (I always have to fight my brain for your name... so embarrassing that Dave and Andy sit in the same cupboard up there!!) Dave. Family/life/work means I seldom get up and out the door when I need to go out n train.

When I have a (paid for) target to aim for it's always easier. 'Fell race' is/must've been the keyword I was looking for... Thanks for that :-bd
redefined_cycles

https://events360.co.uk/doctorsgate/

Now we're talking... ER PM LK are the skills/experience required. Anyone able to shine a light as to what's that when at home!!??
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:30 pm https://events360.co.uk/doctorsgate/

Now we're talking... ER PM LK are the skills/experience required. Anyone able to shine a light as to what's that when at home!!??
Thanks to RunningMag online ER = Experience Required;
PM = partially marked; LK = Local Knowledge...

Getting there...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Train for a marathon and you’ll get a lot of half marathons for free during training :grin:
redefined_cycles

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:48 am Train for a marathon and you’ll get a lot of half marathons for free during training :grin:
:lol: so true. Tried to walk a 34 miler the other day from Lexus Independent Sheffield to home. Got the train at 24 miles with massive water blisters on left foot. They healed in a week but then a week of the top of (I think) the opposite foot aching. Like a stress fracture. That healed up this week and pain went.

Then worked a community shift with an excellent other member of staff who said we would take the client (paraplegic... actually, no... complex needs but able to pull his breathing tube out in an uncoordinated fashion) to the beach. Walked the sandy lanes with a massive wheel chair up on the west coast. Came back home and heel started hurting - maybe the stress of pushing the heavy chair through sand for about an hour or more.

Half marathons are gonna be ace and I've actually found my secret-stash Trail magazine. Got at least 7 Peaks hikes/walks in it so I'll start with that hopefully :-bd
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

There should be plenty of grim up north events round your way mate
redefined_cycles

firestarter wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:53 pm There should be plenty of grim up north events round your way mate
I will google that too thanks Mick. Hope the marathon goes well :-bd
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Cheers mate :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Go look at the LDWA events (Long Distance Walkers Association) - lots of cheap ones to enter.

And or, just get a train to Hebden and walk/run home on the Pennine Way :)
redefined_cycles

Go look at the LDWA events (Long Distance Walkers Association) - lots of cheap ones to enter.

And or, just get a train to Hebden and walk/run home on the Pennine Way :)
Ticket to Hebden is only about £7... I think you've just about nailed it for me. Ta Greg...

Checked Grim Upnorth too... Too expensive for me :grin:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Used to be cheap tbh but I guess since covid everything has gone up, the fell runs are cheap but normally too hilly and short
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Anything like that hilly wise down sarff seems to cost £40-75. Still you do get a free bag of crap you don't really want for it.
redefined_cycles

dlovett wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:03 pm Anything like that hilly wise down sarff seems to cost £40-75. Still you do get a free bag of crap you don't really want for it.
:lol:
redefined_cycles

Found myself a marathon. Trail focused but not (as hard as a standard) 'fell race' as such. Best part, it's £22 so proper Yorkshire pricing. Plenty far away to train for it and then hopefully recover in time for bb200.

https://www.kcac.co.uk/club-races/yorkshireman/

:grin:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Brave choice, the mandatory map and compass may slow you down :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

firestarter wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:11 pm .... but normally too hilly and short
Not done Teenager then? It's hilly and long :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:33 am Found myself a marathon. Trail focused but not (as hard as a standard) 'fell race' as such. Best part, it's £22 so proper Yorkshire pricing. Plenty far away to train for it and then hopefully recover in time for bb200.

https://www.kcac.co.uk/club-races/yorkshireman/

:grin:
Few friends have done this, it's supposed to be a decent event. Enjoy!
redefined_cycles

PaulB2 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:42 am Brave choice, the mandatory map and compass may slow you down :grin:
Best thing is that they encourage you to go get used to the route. So will use it as part of the training. Yes, mandatory fell running kit-list but keeps the mindset on target for the BB :-bd

Don't think I've read anywhere that we can't use gps, so hoping to record/navigate with the watch too (but will recheck this). Any excuse to buy a new shiny OS map (if I've not already got them squares in the ones I already own).
redefined_cycles

Ta Greg.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Have done both half and full Yorkshireman, can't remember the years but should be in the results from about 12yrs ago. Even though it's an FRA event it's closer to trail running terrain.

Edit
Scratch that! Did the full in 2004 (4:57 finishing time) and the half in 2005 (1:54) and 2006 (2:04)
/Edit

Early doors at least you'll just be with the crowd so no problem with route finding. There's a few sections later on that are a bit involved - the go into a yard, turn left then immediately turn right sort of involved - the organisers do put out tiger tape but it's been known for the local residents to remove it :lol: Worth learning the local club colours, if you are trotting alongside a KCAC runner who's done it before then your luck's in. :-bd
Last edited by whitestone on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:08 pm Don't think I've read anywhere that we can't use gps, so hoping to record/navigate with the watch too (but will recheck this). Any excuse to buy a new shiny OS map (if I've not already got them squares in the ones I already own).
It's an FRA race - you CAN'T use GPS to navigate. You CAN track the race for analysis.
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:08 pm Don't think I've read anywhere that we can't use gps, so hoping to record/navigate with the watch too (but will recheck this). Any excuse to buy a new shiny OS map (if I've not already got them squares in the ones I already own).
It's an FRA race - you CAN'T use GPS to navigate. You CAN track the race for analysis.
Thanks v much Greg. Yes, I'll just record on the watch and use a neck/map board or something :lol: Can't wait.

Anyway, in other news. I've joined the FRA and also booked myself in to the full YorkshireMan. FRA gave me the option for 'senior'. Apparently I'm senior now that I'm past 45. Can't wait (kind of) but hopefully lots of exploring the route on the map they've made available.

Good times there Bob. Hopefully I can get under 6H though I'm not sure I will. 9H is the cut off limit AFAIR.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

You'll have been a vet since aged 40, sadly...M40 - 50 is one of the fastest age brackets in fell racing :)