Lowest useable gear

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Re: Lowest useable gear

Post by godivatrailrider »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:51 pm
godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:08 pm Possibly up the Dylife valley... I usually head up the track out the back of BBTowers but have come down the Dylife descent... I'd definitely be walking up that.
Or it could be the grassy climb heading out the back of the Towers then up towards NYA..
Or pretty much any other direction from the Towers :lol:
This one:
Screenshot_20240208_204211_Samsung Internet.jpg
(Much easier for me to lazily upload a screenshot instead of trying to write Welsh place names :wink: )

We came up the dotted line from the Towers (East off the map) and went where ever Karl's finger pointed. Sometimes he'd point a finger before, sometimes after consulting good old paper maps (well, guess they're Tyvek).
Yeah that's the 2nd of my options ... we walked up there too in '22 and might be doing it again in '24 ... was a push but there was a few of having a natter on the way up.
Our route went horribly wrong shortly after this... looks like we should have opted to go right at Lake Bugeilyn and not followed the (marked on a map, not on the floor) bridleway through the Afon Hengwm valley .
Still, we did meet Tim Evans on our slog through , every cloud and all that :-bd
godivatrailrider

HUX wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:11 pm 30-36 on the camino and 22-34 on the 29er. Could do with a bit lower on the camino at times :roll:
I bet! I've changed to 26/42 on the CDF, which is also what I have on the Rooster. Still need to walk from time to time.
godivatrailrider

So along with this ... does anyone else zig-zag up steep climbs , usually only on lanes tbh ?
If I've reached my lowest gear and the road is still a bit too steep, I then start zig-zaging across the lane.
It certainly helps, just takes a bit longer.
It has to be easier.... if you've gone further up the same ascent the gradient MUST be less
Well that's how it works in my head.

Only the same as what alpine passes do , and skiers coming down a steep bit..
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:48 am I was looking at a Pinion c12 which I believe has very low gearing for this very reason.
The C1.12 ratios run from 0.3-1.82, so when you factor in sprockets of 32 (front), 34 (back), you're down to 1.93, which I think is marginally better than a 28/52. So yes, you can spin up most things! I did purchase a smaller rear sprocket but then realised I didn't have enough space on the sliding dropout to get sufficient tension, and would need a new shorter belt. So it's sitting in its sleeve, waiting to be used.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

godivatrailrider wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:15 am So along with this ... does anyone else zig-zag up steep climbs [...]
When ssp'ing certainly. When I start to struggle with traction when hanging over the bars and pushing & pulling the hell out of the cranks on wide enough off road tracks switchbacking often does the trick. Also roads but just for the reason to conserve energy.
When riding steep stuff on the geared bikes I tend to try and follow where I find grip and can avoid steps.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I forget the stage but I have seen pro road riders doing it to get up steep stuff.
Al

Post by Al »

Bit late to this but another idea for you -

My stooge is a 32 front with an 11-46 cassette. (27.5 x 2.8 wheels). I find it great for day rides but wanted something lower for when it's loaded up with bags, etc

As the front is an old double cranks I added a granny ring (but no front derailleur), if there's a particularly long steep / horrible climb I can just manually move the chain over. It's only added a few grams to the weight of the bike, but gives a proper get out of jail gear when the need arises without compromising top end ratio for a smaller chainring.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Loaded up for the HT I had 30-51 (1x12, 29 wheels)
2924 miles per Gallon
godivatrailrider

Mart wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:24 am Loaded up for the HT I had 30-51 (1x12, 29 wheels)
Cheers Mart! I've bought a 30T .... shame they delivered a 32T .... awaiting the replacement.
30/51 1x11 should be lower than the Rooster and on slightly smaller wheels. Will give it a go on the local trails, & for WRT, but possibly put the 32T back on if it' too spinny. Saying that, I am used to riding singlespeed and did so almost exclusively for a number of years when living in Coventry, 32/18 on 29er (1.77), so 30\11 (2.72) should be more usable.... ok not as good as a 40/11 (3.63) though in reality I don't use that too much anyway, & spend much more time in the lower gears.
Mart

Post by Mart »

godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:48 am [quote=Mart post_id=320276 time=<a href="tel:1707819885">1707819885</a> user_id=2041]
Loaded up for the HT I had 30-51 (1x12, 29 wheels)
Cheers Mart! I've bought a 30T .... shame they delivered a 32T .... awaiting the replacement.
30/51 1x11 should be lower than the Rooster and on slightly smaller wheels. Will give it a go on the local trails, & for WRT, but possibly put the 32T back on if it' too spinny. Saying that, I am used to riding singlespeed and did so almost exclusively for a number of years when living in Coventry, 32/18 on 29er (1.77), so 30\11 (2.72) should be more usable.... ok not as good as a 40/11 (3.63) though in reality I don't use that too much anyway, & spend much more time in the lower gears.
[/quote]

I’ve just started single speeding again last summer, on my new to me Pegasus frame.
I went for 32-20 to start with. nice and spinny as I got used to it.
Back to square one again in terms of fitness after a knee op last wk. If I’m able to pedal by the WRT then it will have to be geared.
2924 miles per Gallon
godivatrailrider

Mart wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:17 pm
I’ve just started single speeding again ....... a knee op last wk.
Coincidence !!
:grin:

Hope the Op went ok!
Mart

Post by Mart »

:lol: Ongoing issue for a few years. Strengthening the leg muscles helped me delay the inevitable.
2924 miles per Gallon
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

32x46 loaded/unloaded on the Big Bro, other bikes come as 32x50 standard, could go 34 up front but cba changing em :lol: :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
godivatrailrider

30T arrived, fitted and tested....
I'm pleased. It works fine with the 11/51 cassette, not had to chance to test off road but did a stiff road climb ok, easy spinning for the most part.
The other end so far is fine, had a couple of longish flat road spins and it was fine there too usually with 1 or 2 of the smallest cogs still available.
I don't move fast, more tortoise than hare.