What to do about this tubeless sealant

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

frogatthefarriers

What to do about this tubeless sealant

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Before the latest Winter Event I thought to make sure my tyres wouldn’t go down and topped up (with more Stans) the Stans sealant that had been in for a year or so.

Next morning:-

OK, so maybe I put a little too much pressure in. :roll: Needless to say, I had to pump the tyres up a few times over the weekend.

So, Group Mind, what’s best to do? Tip out the old Stans and re-fill? Use a different fluid? Change the tyre? Slime tubes? I’ve had no problem with Stans for the last almost ten years, so is there something else going on?

Ta.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What to do about this tubeless sealant

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You'd say the sidewalls are porous Lu and the sealant is simply doing its job. Is the tyre still going down?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:36 pm [...]So, Group Mind, what’s best to do? [...]
I'd probably just ride and keep the pressure in check. I guess after a couple of days the sealant may dry a little on the inside, covering the tyre and sealing it for good.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Ride and top up till it stops weeping/ going down and seals ( and be grateful its not tan sidewall so won't show mould where it seeped)
frogatthefarriers

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:57 pm You'd say the sidewalls are porous Lu and the sealant is simply doing its job. Is the tyre still going down?
Yup. Well I say Yup but I haven’t ridden it since the WE. It’s soft now but I wouldn’t like to say how quickly it went down. I had noticed in the past that it would “sweat” clear stuff but not this copious white liquid.
frogatthefarriers

Lazarus wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:33 pm Ride and top up till it stops weeping/ going down and seals ( and be grateful its not tan sidewall so won't show mould where it seeped)
That’s my thinking too. Does Stans fluid deteriorate in the bottle, I wonder. P’rhaps I should get a fresh bottle.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

I see your leaky sidewalls and raise you … 
IMG_0962.jpeg
IMG_0962.jpeg (158.98 KiB) Viewed 259 times
This one—just one of a pair, the other was fine—bled like I've never known, and I only sorted by leaving it lying on its side overnight, then flipping and doing the other side the next day. No issues at all since then, save for the lack of ice to take advantage of them.

FWIW, Stans say their sealant will last bottled for years before use.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

WTB = sealant widdles out of the sidewalls. Most annoying but seems to be the way it is. Ignore...