How much water do you carry? (inline tricycle content)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gecko76

How much water do you carry? (inline tricycle content)

Post by gecko76 »

Or, Take two bottles into the Sahara?

https://sahara-overland.com/tag/jean-naud/

'Once fully loaded with 72 litres of water and another 60kg of gear, his 50-kilo monotrack three-wheeler weighed in at 180 kilos.'
thenorthwind

Re: How much water do you carry? (inline tricycle content)

Post by thenorthwind »

So much to like :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Pre fatbike and not one I've come across before - according to the 'history' on fat-bike.com, the first tyres wider than 3" were made by Remolino in the late '90s
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Thanks for sharing.
I should try to get hold of his book.
It never fails to amaze me seeing people wander off, or ride in this case, often driven by pure lust for adventure and trying to do what most find impossible.
It never fails to amaze me what willpower, determination and a bicycle can do. There seem to be no limits!
gecko76 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:05 pm 'Once fully loaded with 72 litres of water and another 60kg of gear, his 50-kilo monotrack three-wheeler weighed in at 180 kilos.'
So far I only managed 16 L of water, 8 kg of gear (to be warm and safe for nights at up to 5900 m and hikes up to 6740 m), ~16 kg exped capable ti fatbike (incl. MYOG bags and front and rear racks), ~27 kg of food, ~4 kg of fuel. A total of ~71 kg.
3 weeks into it:
Screenshot_20240208_215037_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240208_215037_Instagram.jpg (99.42 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Besides some snowriding in the Alps and a N-S traverse in wintry conditions of Iceland's interior, my fatbike is still waiting and calling for something I may never be ready to undertake. It seems too capable for what I feel comfy with.

I'm currently helping a mate to get his bike set up correctly in all its details (custom ti frame and fork, through Andy at Spanner Bikes who does the dealing with the manufaturer). Whilst he's very experienced in the expedition type of bicycle touring, he's new to fatbikes, so he's been poking my brain for more than a year to translate fatbiking into his trips.
He'll probably be riding (hopefully more than before on his regular touring bike) a bike loaded up round about 100 kg (he won't need to carry much water though).
It's always exciting to work on such projects, always with odd solutions to help shift the limits of what we think is possible.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

It was this that put me onto it:

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/esker-hayduke-lvs-review/

That trip looks amazing alpinum.