Bivvy a Month 2024

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

vegancheese

Re: Bivvy a Month 2024

Post by vegancheese »

February BAM, 2/12 Invisibivvy
Super micro-distance 10 mins down to the woods near the canal here in Saddleworth.
It was too warm not to grab the opportunity.
Had the tarp for years but not used much as too bulky. But when your ride is 1.5km :roll:
ImageInvisibivvy by dear_jim, on Flickr
ImageUnder the invisibivvy by dear_jim, on Flickr
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Invisibivi :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Where?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My somewhat belated write up for the 30/01/24

Finally got the weather window between storm and freezing and just got freezing and after all the talk about bivvies i dragged mine out -its ok if its not wet [and it was not ] as I dont have a tarp
Headed out to local spot at about 6 miles away and not that high, as it was still a bit windy, with views over to the mast. Slept well considering temp and actually only wok at 735 which was later than expected but i never need to set an alarm so had to rush to get home and then cycle about 15 miles to work
Was zero degrees as i got in bed and was colder when i woke up as wind had changed direction and was now blasting me - on the plus side no condensation due to this

view from the tarp [ despite the angle my spot was flat ] and 1 of 12 Image
vegancheese

Post by vegancheese »

gecko76 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:32 amWhere?
About half way between Quick and Roaches, near Oldham. 20m from canal.
Yes...we don't have slow insects here
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

:-bd (although I meant, "Where's the bivvy?". First pic in particular impressively stealthy).
Verena

Post by Verena »

Hi, I've somehow slipped out of the forum again recently, and surprisingly even during the five days I've just been travelling and spending a few days with my parents, who only seem to be vertical for a very few hours in between like ins, naptimes, and early nights, I'm only now managing to pick up the threads again, starting with this one, probably my favourite....

Great write ups and pics here, makes me want to go out again really soon...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah, missed you missus :smile:

Live BaM In Progress. Emergency BaM called by MuddyPete. Half seven, shove some gear into some bags, out the door at eight. Apparently high likelihood of kipping in a cathedral - now that will definitely put the cat amongst the pigeons in the sheds/structures fraternity!

Temporary halt on the way to hydrate the bikes.....

Last edited by RIP on Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

Emergency BAM, I like it!

Dare I ask what the nature of the emergency is???
Verena

Post by Verena »

Stinginglip wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:34 am
MuddyPete wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:40 pm
Stinginglip wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:55 pm ...and have felt spaced out all day. I won't be making a habit of School night BaMs but glad I'm in again for 2024 :-bd
Same here: by 3pm I'm usually I-) when I bivi Thursday nights.
Fortunately we have a flexible working policy so most of management don't work Fridays, which co-incides with one of my WFH days :wink:
Flexible working policy sounds ace...I'm considering dropping Fridays when I turn 50 in summer, will probably involve a bit of flexibility Mon-Thur.
Feeling spaced out all day at work after a bivvy, yes I can very much relate to that, I think that's what I like so much about them...

Flexible working is great, I've had that for over 20 years...put in the extra graft when needed, take the time back when it's not...early finish on sunny summer days to go do something nice, late starts when defrosting from a winter BAM... :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

V wrote: nature of emergency

I didn't enquire - just general diverse alarums and commotions I think.

Oh, apparently "it's Monday". Definitely an emergency :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Verena

Post by Verena »

:cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

MP is proposing an extension of The Rules. He'd like to allow a fusion of cars and bikes for BaMs - pedal cars. Excellent idea and I shall allow him to elaborate. I'd like propose an extension to his extension - pedalos! A sort of fusion of bikes and... what... packrafts?

RIP

Post by RIP »

Well putting the Gatewood up in 40mph winds is a good game. Sleep well all :smile: .

Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

vegancheese wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:34 pm
gecko76 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:32 amWhere?
About half way between Quick and Roaches, near Oldham. 20m from canal.
Yes...we don't have slow insects here
He's always been a bit slow
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bit breezy out there. With our usual sense of skill and daring... oh alright, sense of tomfoolery and harebrainery... we chose one of the windiest days of the year to go via the highest point in Bedfordshire. Yes I know it's not Scafell Pike but there's not much between us and the Black Mountains. But binning a BaM simply because of a bit of weather is Just Not Done - get out there and suffer for your art.

Up on the Downs (down on the Ups?) it really got quite playful and Reginald only just managed to stop his bike blowing away over Luton somewhere.

A little way behind the Downs was our cathedral destination. It's got a nave and a transept and everything.

Pete sorted his buffalobag out just off the nave and I parked the Gatewood near the pulpit. Ominous creakings highlighted potential widowmakers, either that or our aching bones.

Gatewood erection was made easier by my packing technique of leaving the rear tie-out just poking out of the built-in bag, and this also has a luminous tag on its upper side so I know which way up the canopy is. Chuck the bag on the ground, peg that tie-out then walk away pulling the tarp out downwind as you go . A few more pegs and a Stu Superlight pole and job done. Oh and find a couple of sticks to prop out the side-lifters for extra stability. Was rock solid in the wind.

It really is a top bit of gear. Around 300g plus 45g StuPole plus six 9g Ti V pegs - 399g :geek: :smile: (yeah I know, that's like saying £3.99 instead of £4 :wink: ) . Stacks of 360deg coverage and floorspace, and compresses almost into a pint bottle. Also the lines are only 1mm dyneema but they held up fine - just shows that paracord etc is overkill. Probably ought to win the Ultimate Shelter comp TBH. No need for a boil-in-the-bag either, Ultrashell sleeping bag shrugs off any condensation. Spinnaker ground sheet also excellent as ever - totally waterproof from below.

Slept really well despite the howling (from the wind not the wolves or MuddyPete) and drizzle.

Up at half six and blown all the way home. MP's machine ready to go:

Thanks to MP for photos. 'Official' BaM next week so shan't count this one.

Packed Gatewood below. I mean why use anything else? :smile:

Last edited by RIP on Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:40 pm, edited 9 times in total.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Feb 2024 BaM: windy! :shock:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C3ATX3wo1Ub ... ZoNHU2Njhz

2023 - Oct, Nov, Dec.
2024 - Jan, Feb.
May you always have tail wind.
Boab

Post by Boab »

RIP wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:14 pm Image
For a change, I know exactly where that is, having cycled passed it on a few occasions now. It's always looked a bit too busy to pitch up at, but just where you hang a right to head back to the visitor centre, and tap, I've thought about going straight on, and kipping there, on the edge.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Boab wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:10 pm For a change, I know exactly where that is, having cycled passed it on a few occasions now. It's always looked a bit too busy to pitch up at, but just where you hang a right to head back to the visitor centre, and tap, I've thought about going straight on, and kipping there, on the edge.
:smile:

You'd be fine I reckon Bob - well, we were obviously, didn't come home with any teeth marks or anything. There's little "alcoves" with hedges round them, dotted amongst the trees. Certainly The Edge would be fun too, although quite bracing with the westerly wind that we enjoyed.

Thinking about it, it's a bit bonkers that we haven't partaken of a joint ride, what with practically being neighbours :smile: . Our riding styles may be a little different (ie you'd leave me in the dust, or rather in the pub/cafe :smile: ) but I'm sure we could come to some arrangement (ie you'd go really slowly :smile: ). I used to live in Hitchin in my 20's so I know N and E Herts very well for example. Trouble is, as you know, I prefer to reach my 'packing departure point by public transport and until they finish the Bedford - Cambridge chunk of the East West Rail Link I'd have to go via London.

Nah, it's all excuses, we ought to sort something out. Isn't BridlewayBimbler over that way too or have I misread something?

vegancheese

Post by vegancheese »

Polisherman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:02 am

He's always been a bit slow
:-P
RIP

Post by RIP »

A quick "Happy Birthday" to that stalwart Bammer - James G :-bd .

I think it's your "Granite" birthday - a bivvy in Aberdeen to celebrate perhaps? :smile:

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:37 am A quick "Happy Birthday" to that stalwart Bammer - James G :-bd .

I think it's your "Granite" birthday - a bivvy in Aberdeen to celebrate perhaps? :smile:
'Bammer' has a slightly different meaning up here :grin:
Boab

Post by Boab »

RIP wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:53 pm
Boab wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:10 pm For a change, I know exactly where that is, having cycled passed it on a few occasions now. It's always looked a bit too busy to pitch up at, but just where you hang a right to head back to the visitor centre, and tap, I've thought about going straight on, and kipping there, on the edge.
:smile:

You'd be fine I reckon Bob - well, we were obviously, didn't come home with any teeth marks or anything. There's little "alcoves" with hedges round them, dotted amongst the trees. Certainly The Edge would be fun too, although quite bracing with the westerly wind that we enjoyed.

Thinking about it, it's a bit bonkers that we haven't partaken of a joint ride, what with practically being neighbours :smile: . Our riding styles may be a little different (ie you'd leave me in the dust, or rather in the pub/cafe :smile: ) but I'm sure we could come to some arrangement (ie you'd go really slowly :smile: ). I used to live in Hitchin in my 20's so I know N and E Herts very well for example. Trouble is, as you know, I prefer to reach my 'packing departure point by public transport and until they finish the Bedford - Cambridge chunk of the East West Rail Link I'd have to go via London.

Nah, it's all excuses, we ought to sort something out. Isn't BridlewayBimbler over that way too or have I misread something?
I have thought about it, as I agree, it's a bit mad we haven't met in the middle somewhere yet. Would love to do a bit more riding in The Chiltern Hills, as I've pretty much just been on the Icknield Way and would like to explore them a bit more. Not adverse to a slower couple of days, assuming I rode there and back to make up for the lack of mileage... 🤣

Plus, the offer of talking folks round some of the worst the Fens have to offer is still there... 🫣
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:24 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:37 am A quick "Happy Birthday" to that stalwart Bammer - James G :-bd .

'Bammer' has a slightly different meaning up here :grin:
But still rather applicable in present company methinks :grin: .

I think I need to have an afternoon of Parliamo Glasgow. Used to love old Stanley :-bd

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JfR_ ... vZXc%3D

RIP

Post by RIP »

Boab wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:44 pm I have thought about it, as I agree, it's a bit mad we haven't met in the middle somewhere yet. Would love to do a bit more riding in The Chiltern Hills, as I've pretty much just been on the Icknield Way and would like to explore them a bit more. Not adverse to a slower couple of days, assuming I rode there and back to make up for the lack of mileage... 🤣

Plus, the offer of talking folks round some of the worst the Fens have to offer is still there... 🫣
Okeydokey. Will apply a bit more thought in the summer as have pencilled in my outings until then.

'Itchin 'Erts - well don't scratch it then....