8g meths stove help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gecko76

Re: 8g meths stove help

Post by gecko76 »

my top tip is to silicon the stove to a disk of aluminum or tin (the bottom of a tin can is a perfect size) for stability and catching spilled meths In fact if you are in a hurry, allow a bit of meths to spill onto the tin lid and light this - it speeds up flare time considerably
@FatBikePhil you got a pic handy? Trial in the garden yesterday: hot mug + hot stove + hot windshield (Alpkit concertina) + gust of wind = noodles on the floor, burnt fingers and the mockery of family and neighbours.

This is for a 22g stove (having hijacked the thread) with 600ml mug which might benefit from being stabilised with pegs/spokes/hex keys or similar. The stove itself is an vaguely exciting wee bit of kit. Just need to stop it falling over.
Last edited by gecko76 on Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Here you go...

Use the can opener on the side of the tin so you remove the lid in tact, along with the crimped rim, which keeps any spilled meths in. The silicon needs to be good stuff, not bathroom sealant - I use loctite flange sealant but any silicon gasket goo will do.

I tend to try to find a flat rock to balance it on, even so. Also pictured is a Ti heat shield which actually helps support the mug via its handles.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Nice one, thanks.

Edit: does the forum autocorrect 'vaguely exciting' to 'vaguely exciting'?

It does! (a w e s o m e)
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

You can also drill the windshield at the sides and push cut spokes through it, and the cup rests on them.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Neat. Again, got a picture? I've been trawling back through all threads but missed that particular trick.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Ordered ✔️
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You can also drill the windshield at the sides and push cut spokes through it, and the cup rests on them.
No you can't. To work properly both the 8g and 22g stoves need to be 'sealed' by the base of your pot / mug ... I'm not saying it still won't work but it'll be much less efficient. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Good suggestion, Phil. I keep meaning to sort out a base for mine but never got round to it. That's an easy to sort solution. :-bd