Woods Rat Run

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Woods Rat Run

Post by godivatrailrider »

https://bikepacking.com/routes/woods-rat-run/

This looks excellent.... it's now looking likely for a 4 day attempt first week of July, my Wimbledon Avoidance trip
What's wild camping like in the Corfe area? Maybe along the Purbeck Way / Brenscombe Down vicinity.
I'd be happy in a campsite tbh. Somewhere around there would break the route at the right place.

This should probably be in a different section..
Dyffers

Re: Woods Rat Run

Post by Dyffers »

godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:41 pm What's wild camping like in the Corfe area? Maybe along the Purbeck Way / Brenscombe Down vicinity.
You shouldn't have a problem if you're outside the villages other than a possible late / early rambling dog walker.

A summer sunrise bivvy at Swyre Head would be ace. :-bd
faustus

Post by faustus »

It is a nice route, and the quieter end is Cranborne chase and North Dorset, which is easy to overlook but worthwhile for a bivvy. As Dyffers said, outside of the villages, should be fine to find a spot and it's a cracking area. Aside from Swyre Head, you can get down to Chapman's pool area if you want to lie down in the bracken and go for a dip in the sea! There's also Tom's Field which is a nice little campsite in Langton Matravers, if you wanted facilities.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The route looks like it goes along Bourmouth promenade, there are restrictions to cycling there in July/August.

https://www.bcpcouncil.gov.uk/leisure-c ... e-seafront

Having ridden along there on a Saturday afternoon once in February there were so many people it was slower than walking, so probably best to avoid that section during the daytime. I have also ridden it early in the morning ans only saw a handful of people so it will depend on what time you get there.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
pete68

Post by pete68 »

Did this over 2 days in September. Mostly a good route but would avoid the Bournemouth prom if I was doing it again. It was a rainy September day bit was still a nightmare with so many people.
godivatrailrider

pete68 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:48 pm Did this over 2 days in September. Mostly a good route but would avoid the Bournemouth prom if I was doing it again. It was a rainy September day bit was still a nightmare with so many people.
I think I'd default to just riding the roads through Bournemouth Unless I can find a more interesting option inland slightly
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I rode the seafront on the outward leg of this but avoided it on the way back, might be of help picking a way around.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2218045898
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I'm thinking about giving this a try next weekend as Lyndhurst is about 45 mins away from me.

I will aim for a very early start next sat morning to hit the sandbanks ferry when it opens at 7am so the prom should be nice and quiet then.

Not had a a full study of the route but assuming no issues getting food and drink en/slighty off route?
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Loads of options on the route during more social hours after your dawn ferry: corfe castle probably has a bakery, supermarket and bakery in Wareham, lots of options in Blandford and pubs in most villages (I'd avoid the one in Tollard Royal though as it's a bit posh :roll: ).
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Dyffers wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:43 pm Loads of options on the route during more social hours after your dawn ferry: corfe castle probably has a bakery, supermarket and bakery in Wareham, lots of options in Blandford and pubs in most villages (I'd avoid the one in Tollard Royal though as it's a bit posh :roll: ).
Ta very much, will try to do some research this week. Aiming to go with min kit and will grab stuff as I go.
godivatrailrider

As I'm hoping to do this first week of July, I'm going to have to avoid the seafront :???:
I've done a rework inland , skirting the conurbation. Flippin shame though
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

godivatrailrider wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:17 am I've done a rework inland , skirting the conurbation. Flippin shame though
When I rode it early morning there was a 50mph headwind blasting sand into my face! Just ride round with your brakes on and tip some fine sand into your jersey to recreate the affect :lol:
godivatrailrider

sean_iow wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:06 am
godivatrailrider wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:17 am I've done a rework inland , skirting the conurbation. Flippin shame though
When I rode it early morning there was a 50mph headwind blasting sand into my face! Just ride round with your brakes on and tip some fine sand into your jersey to recreate the affect :lol:
:grin: :-bd

Are you local ... is there a reasonable inland alternative?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm not local (Isle of Wight) but I can see it from Freshwater... which isn't much help.

East of the pier there is a cliff-top road which I remember as being quiet but west of the pier it was much harder to pick my way through as the roads don't really align. I ended up on the main road going past the Bournemouth International Centre which wasn't ideal.

Hopefully a proper local can provide an alternative.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Worth noting that in summer the cycling ban is from 10-am each morning, so if you get your timing right you can still use it. But in summer it will still be busy from fairly early with dog walkers, people setting up camp in beach huts, and various vehicles cleaning up the seafront, lifeguards, land trains, etc. But it is a lovely easy bit of the ride, i'd say a bell is very useful. I worked on the seafront for 10 seasons back in the not too distant past, and know/knew all the various alternative options for riding and driving if not using the seafront.

Alternative route from E-W: from Hengistbury Head follow the cliff top roads instead of going down to seafront, Southbourne cost road/South Overcliff Drive/Boscombe Overcliff Drive/ The Marina brings you to Boscombe Pier. You can cycle at any time between Boscombe Pier and Bournemouth Pier (Until gates near the pier, where you have to push) as it's a road for the seafront car park. It is tricky from Bournemouth Pier, and there's no avoiding some not that pleasant roads (30mph but drivers are d1cks). Due to there being some small valleys (Chines) there's no straight-through cliff top route, and if you try sticking to the cliff top you have to detour round the Chines anyway so it's not worth it. So as you have to walk across the pier approach at Bournemouth, walk up the west cliff pedestrian path going past the BIC and West Cliff hotel until you get to a road (St Micheal's Road). Then use this route which joins up with the rest of the route on Banks Road on Poole Harbour to the chain ferry (hopefully the link works): https://www.google.com/maps/dir/50.7152 ... &entry=ttu