Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MM-on-POINT

Re: Bivvy a Month 2024

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Resize_20240131_224805_5143.jpg
Resize_20240131_224805_5143.jpg (109.7 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Hi all,
Long time member, infrequent visitor. I have jumped on the BAM again after a few years off.
The first one was a chilled affair focusing on relaxing and catching up with Barney who met me later in the evening.

It was a short cycle in to Nant-y-ffrith alone, so I headed to the trig point for a few minutes to take in the sunset and views.
Once visually satiated I then tested how well some new Alpkit bags handle on a technical descent, they did well and everything in the external pockets was still there once at the bottom 👍🏻.

I fussed around at a previous bivi spot trying to make sure I was tucked a way in case the local motor cross lot fancied a night ride through, which they often do, well those that have permission! it is technically private woods with foots paths and bridal ways through but a few of us mtb lot have permission to build tracks and jumps designed to test your skills or incite fear. I mostly fit the fear catorgry after line 3, but this is all another story.

I set up my MLD cricket which I have never used with my old trusty kelty classic bivi which is similar to the sierra design one and perfect for use with a tarp.
Cooking was next and I fancied sausages & fried onions in a brioche bun, four of them😳.
Barney had made his way in by now and we spent a good few hours catching up and putting the world to right.
Barney caught a nice sunrise whilst I was enjoying one of the best sleeps I had for a why anywhere.
We packed up and both set off with plans made for February bivi.
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

MuddyPete wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:40 pm
Stinginglip wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:55 pm ...and have felt spaced out all day. I won't be making a habit of School night BaMs but glad I'm in again for 2024 :-bd
Same here: by 3pm I'm usually I-) when I bivi Thursday nights.
Fortunately we have a flexible working policy so most of management don't work Fridays, which co-incides with one of my WFH days :wink:
Flexible working policy sounds ace...I'm considering dropping Fridays when I turn 50 in summer, will probably involve a bit of flexibility Mon-Thur.
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:32 am
MuddyPete wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:40 pm
Stinginglip wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:55 pm ...and have felt spaced out all day. I won't be making a habit of School night BaMs but glad I'm in again for 2024 :-bd
Same here: by 3pm I'm usually I-) when I bivi Thursday nights.
Fortunately we have a flexible working policy so most of management don't work Fridays, which co-incides with one of my WFH days :wink:
I thought it was just me. Did a Bivy last night. 2H sleeping and a fair few riding through the night. Back home and another sleep from 0900 til 1400. But still knackered through the day.

Always happens to me, regardless the nature of the bivy (or ride before/aft). Thought ot was unique to me being rather soft. Thanks Oere/Stlnglip...
I wouldn't mind if I'd done a massive ride,but the riding total was less than 5 miles out & back! Did a lot of resting but not much sleeping, it's all good tho, I personally use the very local one's too experiment with different bivvying techniques. Bailing home making it less risky...I've not bailed yet tho :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Exactly what I do but managed 13 miles total ( and kipped at top of lead mines clogh). Will do a proper rude report tonight
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

I personally use the very local one's too experiment with different bivvying techniques. Bailing home making it less risky...I've not bailed yet tho :-bd
[/quote]

Quick locals tick the box and like said good to play with a new set up or new kit etc, I did less than 6 mile there 'n' back myself with a action packed 297ft of climbing :lol:
Hardest part was the downhill to home in the cold once I removed my balaclava
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Stinginglip wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:41 am I wouldn't mind if I'd done a massive ride,but the riding total was less than 5 miles out & back! Did a lot of resting but not much sleeping, it's all good tho, I personally use the very local one's too experiment with different bivvying techniques. Bailing home making it less risky...I've not bailed yet tho :-bd
I've found it's the disturbed sleep that does it. Like having a mid-week night shift in the middle of a load of day shifts :sad: .
May you always have tail wind.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:58 am Will do a proper rude report tonight
:shock:

What? With naughty words, an' all? :oops:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

:lol:
I've found it's the disturbed sleep that does it. Like having a mid-week night shift
I find that despite the fact I wake 4 or 5 times a night and sometimes cannot get back to sleep I am never tired the day after.. No idea why the disturbed sleep does not affect me
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

And another one! Now up to 30
Any more for anymore? Going, going......Gone!
Mrs Polisherman

Post by Mrs Polisherman »

JudithG wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:14 am Hi all, new to the forum, had fun on the WRT last year. Late entry for the January bivvy:

Jan Bivvy.jpg

My first solo bivvy

Present me did not want to do this right now, but future me needs the experience for July's Pan Celtic Race 2024 (and beyond!).

Did I overthink everything to do with this? Yes.
Did I change my mind about where to go than five times? Yes.
Did I delay because I was too scared to commit? Yes.

Did I get eaten by wild animals? No.
Did I get attacked by an axe murderer? No.
Did I get found and asked to move on? No.

Having obviously survived the night, it was quite nice in the end! I got three hours of sleep, did a few hours of stargazing and contemplating the universe, and was reassured by the skills and kit I had built up over the years. Stayed very local for this first one.

Thanks for sharing your trips, great to see what everyone is up to and hear the learning that takes place!
So impressed that you managed 3 hours sleep on your first solo bivvy JudithG! I rarely manage much at all.
Mrs Polisherman

Post by Mrs Polisherman »

vegancheese wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:09 pm Late entry...inspired by my FOMO of neighbour and local legend Mrs Polisherman.
:lol: I can assure you you're not missing out on anything. I feel like I'm missing out by not owning a tarp though.... :|
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

JudithG wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:14 am Did I overthink everything to do with this? Yes.
Ah, I see you've watched me every time I go out for a bivvy. (/Leave the house.)

Congratulations, I'm sure it'll be easier next time, on account of not being me.
RIP

Post by RIP »

JudithG wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:14 am Did I overthink everything to do with this? Yes.
Welcome to the game!

Looking forward to hearing about some more japes and capers.

Luckily for you we're all perfectly sane in this corner of the forum :smile: (*)

(*) NB. Some would say I am not the best judge of this.

Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I managed to get out on 31st Jan, just. Written most of the report, but want to add the nice pictures I took so will upload this evening.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:40 pm Image
First time tarpist, by the look of it. They can be confusing :???:.
Are those poles carbon?
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:43 am
Are those poles carbon?
High tech, carbon-core stakes I believe
RIP

Post by RIP »

:grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

After missing a few months last year I was determined to get back into the swing of things in 2024. Despite the national forestry company cutting down swathes of the woods where I like to bivvy this time of year, and the sort of January weather that doesn't make it that appealing, I eventually got my ass in gear on Jan 31st just in time to bag a local night out before it was too late. It was pleasant(ish), but very cold; the annual reminder that an Alpkit Cloud Base mat isn't close to sufficient in cold weather.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Right, that's now 33 (assuming JoseMcTavish is in!), which makes this year the biggest start list since 2020 when I started keeping tally.

Now I want you all to keep going and see if we can also beat the record for most 12 monthers.

Remember - the summer months are the hardest as that's when other stuff gets in the way of going out. so plan accordingly.
Have a couple of easy local spots up your sleeve for those marginal nights. Better yet, find a shed! (or bothy)

February is here people, who will be first??
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm ... the biggest start list since 2020 when I started keeping tally.
Thanks for keeping track Phil! 👍
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Well guessed Phil! Yep, I'm off the mark for the year too.

I headed out late on Monday as I was headed to Glasgow for work the following day, so it was my last chance to squeeze in my January BAM. As usual, I wasn't free to leave till after 11pm so just aimed to hit a small patch of forest out past Westhill that I hadn't actually slept in before. The sky was clearing as I rode, so the temperature was dropping pretty rapidly. I was only half an hour or so from home, so had my hammock slung for a midnight cuppa and doughnut before turning in. Slept fine, though not as warm as recent nights - the reason became obvious when I got moving the next morning as all the standing on water on the forestry track was frozen through. This kept the next section of grassy farm track nice and firm for my road tyres with just one icy bridge with some sizeable gaps to cross over the Leuchar Burn before heading back to tarmac and home for work.

Almost cosy, but needed my warmer rated bag for these temps

Freezing fog firmed up the sodden land nicely

Picturesque view of the dodgy burn crossing

Final bit of offroad before speeding back to town on tarmac

As usual what felt like a pain to fit in at a late hour turned into a pleasant night and stunning morning ride - never regretted a bivy yet!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Picturesque view of the dodgy burn crossing

Final bit of offroad before speeding back to town on tarmac
Thanks for all those lovely pics Jose. I always love how a bit f fog/frost can make usually average scenery (like, the flat lands.. sorry :grin: ) look absolute stunners (Alhamdulillah). Thanks for keeping track too Phil. I'm gonna try and make my feb route now.
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Seeing things in a different light.
This trip feels the absolute everything of squeezing it in to make it work.

Life continuously got in the way of me getting out on my bike. I'd packed it up several times, scribbled enough of a route out, then been drawn elsewhere.

Last night of January, it had to be tonight. A school night. Bag was sort of packed up, didn't fancy the morning faff of optimal repacking so plumped for a rucksack easily large enough to swallow all my kit.

Spot was a squeeze again. Decided the drizzle was enough to put late night youths and miscreants inside so opted for a rather urban sport, expecting to be sniffed out by an early morning dog.

Ride there was, on paper, mundane. However the fact that it was after dark and part of a weeknight adventure made me see it in a different light.

Every year I forget how different and special biking through woods by torchlight can be. The shadows shrinking as you pass them, tiny roots creating massive shadows, unique isolation of being the only light.

Tarp went up a breeze, and gave me that den-building-dopamine. Dry enough night for only a bivi, so my tarp turned out to be frivolous.

Winter is borderline too cold for half a foam mat, but I managed to sleep for 3 hours, shiver for a bit, do some press ups and cinch my sleeping bag down to a small breathing hole, then get back to sleep for another 4hrs 30 so a fair night sleep.

My prediction of a dog was correct as I awoke to barking and calling for Jasper. Owner must have noticed me but was preoccupied sorting Jasper out so all fine.

Into work in the same clothes, had a change in my bag but reckon it was fine. Glad I got out. Roll on slightly more bike and bigger trips.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Well done Ben. We're you still awake by tea-time? :grin:
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Cheers Pete! Yeah just about. It was tough getting through the work day, but no change there really.

Quite enjoyed the commuter BaM but would like to get a train somewhere more rural for another. 11 to go.