Kiddy Back tandem vs weehoo trailer thoughts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RobLyon

Kiddy Back tandem vs weehoo trailer thoughts

Post by RobLyon »

Hi all, i'm looking to do some light touring/camping with my son whose not yet 4 and just starting to ride his own bike. I've been considering all the options from cargo bikes, tandems, ex royal mail bikes and tag along trailers/bikes. He also starts school in september so some commuting to. I dont really like the width of the twin wheel tag alongs and I think i'm swaying towards a tandem as it seems less faff to store and easier to talk to each other while riding.

I'm interested to hear about other peoples set-ups and adventures?
johnnystorm

Re: Kiddy Back tandem vs weehoo trailer thoughts

Post by johnnystorm »

I had a big dummy which was great, front wheel in the panniers and towed the bike on a QR mount on the rear deck and child in the Yep seat.

Tried using a trail gator but it was just heavy junk and proper faff to use without scratching everything imho. I'd use it only if both bikes to be joined were ones I didn't care about or I had zero budget.

I got our first tandem during lockdown 2020, a Thorn kiddyback and it was brilliant getting is out which all the restrictions.

That was replaced a couple of years later and we upgraded to a Polygon Tandem (which sadly Go Outdoors don't stock anymore) when my daughter was around 9.

TL; DR
If you have the space and the cash a tandem is a game changer.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

I currently have a Weehoo double trailer which has been fantastic. I got he double during covid and pulled my then 6 and 4 year old around. The 6 year old is now 9 and riding by himself, so i have removed the rear seat and use the area for bikepacking kit.
She is now 6, and last summer we did a great 100k overnighter on..... https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwIZP80smZt/

They are pretty good over rough terrain too, although gates can be a royal PITA!
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

Thanks for all of your replies. I think in conclusion the tandem will be better for commuting and road stuff (which will probably suit us more often) but the weehoo better off road. Is it wrong to want both?

and also, don't forget a spare tube for the weehoo!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

RobLyon wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:22 pm Thanks for all of your replies. I think in conclusion the tandem will be better for commuting and road stuff (which will probably suit us more often) but the weehoo better off road. Is it wrong to want both?

Not sure I'd find a trailer latched onto my seatpost a better option for offroad than a welded on structure!
JackT

Post by JackT »

FollowMe is a metal hitch that allows you to securely attach a child’s bike to rear of your bike. Means they can pedal when hitched or ride independently when conditions allow.

TowWhee is a lightweight bungee cord that helps you get them up big climbs - came in handy on Taff Trail going up from Tal y Bont with my 5 year old.

Circe Helios tandems look excellent.
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:56 pm
RobLyon wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:22 pm Thanks for all of your replies. I think in conclusion the tandem will be better for commuting and road stuff (which will probably suit us more often) but the weehoo better off road. Is it wrong to want both?

Not sure I'd find a trailer latched onto my seatpost a better option for offroad than a welded on structure!
It depends what you call off road, if it's undulating surely there's a risk of grounding out a tandem and you cant really pop the front wheel up over stuff, mind you a trailer won't like that either. Alex hit the nail on the head though, theres nothing off road around me that isn't full of gates which is a no go for either solution, so i'm thinking more sus-trans style routes.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Just need to pop the panniers off... 🤣
Tight corner to rope bridge
Tight corner to rope bridge
20220405_134915.jpg (154.73 KiB) Viewed 398 times
thesloth

Post by thesloth »

I've got a FollowMe Tandem gathering dust in my garage if you're keen.
It's quite a hefty piece of kit, but it works very well for it's intended purpose: dragging them along safely on busy roads or up hills and then unclipping them and letting them ride their own bike.
Mine works with QR, but it looks like you can now get thru axle adapters.
...I've also got Islabike Cnoc 14 that pairs well with it that I've been meaning to get rid of.

Here it is in action:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TXA9qU8ntCZVNWcx8
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

Hi,

thanks for the offer but he has a 14" pedal bike (possibly not as nice as those cnocs though).

Also I picked up a dawes galaxy twin today. Pretty happy with it so far, although the kiddy crank adapters I was going to buy wont fit so I need another plan.
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

Here's what I ended up buying and then I've made a few changes like the bmx bars, kiddy cranks and stand. I had to remove the front mech to fit the stand so just waiting on a side swing to be delivered.

techno

Post by techno »

RobLyon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:00 pm Here's what I ended up buying and then I've made a few changes like the bmx bars, kiddy cranks and stand. I had to remove the front mech to fit the stand so just waiting on a side swing to be delivered.
what kiddy crank adaptor is that rob?
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

just a plate I had made to mount 2x Ø35 pipe clamps to a 40mm pipe clamp and an eccentric BB shell. I tried it last night and the chain lost a little tension and the alignment went a bit off. Not enough to drop the chain but i've set it up again and tightened it a bit more. Will see how that goes but if there is still an issue i'll have to create a torque arm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155677042934 ... 6002139879