Reproofing Boots

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Johnallan

Reproofing Boots

Post by Johnallan »

My Shimano winter boots (SH-MW501) are in great condition, other than the absolute lack of waterproofing :???:

There's no obvious splits/cracks/deterioration but they no longer keep my feet dry at all.

Any recommendations for re-roofing something like this? There's loads of products available but I'd quite like something that works.

Cheers :cool:
Lazarus

Re: Reproofing Boots

Post by Lazarus »

Quick google say they have a waterproof liner in which case its broken

Dubbing for leather or any waxxy type substance will make the outside waterproof
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

As had been said they have a waterproof liner so there’s not much you can do sadly. Dubbing or something like that may help but it will only waterproof the outer material.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I think mine (second pair now) has also split. Feet are soggy and cold. It's not sweat and I had my waterproof covering everything, with plenty breathability.

I'll not be buying Shimano waterproof boots again and will probably go back to some walking boots, in goretex, for the winter. Always had very good outcome with em!
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

If I can make the outside waterproof, I couldn't care less about the inside being waterproof for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure if dubbing would work on the plasticky/synthetic uppers? There's loads of sprays available but it would be good to hear some success stories before buying
redefined_cycles

But how would you deal with all the tiny hole son the side John :smile:
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:00 pm But how would you deal with all the tiny hole son the side John :smile:
I'm kinda hoping someone comes along with some tips for that too :wink:
Boab

Post by Boab »

VeloToez...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Boab wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:11 pmVeloToez...?
I am using shoe covers with them at the moment for commuting which obviously helps. Not velotoez though as I do need to walk a bit and they get ripped too easily.

It'll be cold enough for the Bontrager OMW boots soon. Which reminds me, they need repairing also as I've worn through the inner ankle against the crank arms...
redefined_cycles

Boab wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:11 pmVeloToez...?
This reminds me... I kept meaning to buy a set of Spatz. Apparently they're the bees knees. Maybe that might get me outta trouble (though the knees hurting again, after a 50 miler today so going back to flatties on the roadie for winter might be a good shout).
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Johnallan wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:53 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:00 pm But how would you deal with all the tiny hole son the side John :smile:
I'm kinda hoping someone comes along with some tips for that too :wink:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

How long did the waterproofing last John?

I'm keeping an eye on MW5 prices for black Friday but might go for MW7s if the 5s don't last long.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Dyffers wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:45 am How long did the waterproofing last John?

I'm keeping an eye on MW5 prices for black Friday but might go for MW7s if the 5s don't last long.
I can't really remember but I don't think they were great after the first few months. I ride pretty much every day but I'd still expect more than that. They're showing no real signs or wear, no loose stitches, cracked fabric etc, they just don't keep water out anymore.

I've just given them a scrub with the Hydrobloc that I use on my walking boots. Given the current weather forecast, I'm expecting plenty of opportunities to test them
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Funnily enough I was looking at MW5s to replace my (falling apart) NW arctics. Cheap membranes seem to fail quite quickly on boots, goretex lasts for a few years. I'm nearly done pulling apart my Lake MXZ200s to fix the failed membrane but this was a specific point where it failed, fixed with a goretex patch - you need to pull the soles off then peal away the upper from the sole to get at the liner and membrane. If you can't ID a specific point of leakage, I wouldn't bother.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:46 pm you need to pull the soles off then peal away the upper from the sole to get at the liner and membrane.
If I tried that, the issue would get MUCH worse :grin:

I'll stick with various combinations of dubbing/covers/sealskins until it's cold enough for the big boots
ton

Post by ton »

shoe goo is very good for mending holes and splits in shoes. spread a thin layer over the hole/split and leave overnight.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

I've sometimes wondered if you could just coat boots in liquid rubber or the like, essentially turning them into cycling wellies. I mean it's surely an athlete's foot outbreak waiting to happen, but … https://www.gorillatough.com/product/go ... ray-clear/