Have tarps lost their popularity?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: Have tarps lost their popularity?

Post by JohnClimber »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:05 pm So for me a tent loses that connectedness with your surroundings.
Same for me, Bob.

If I wanted to zip myself away from the sights and surroundings I'd use a hotel or a bothy room.

Tarp for me, but for longer trips when there is a hance of poor conditions I find my Luna Solo is the perfect compromise, because when the midges are out I can close up the midge net door or raining close it all up.

But most of the time when I use the Luna Solo I have the door flaps completely rolled open.
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I'd add that the tent weather protection is more significant on a level playing field. As in a field with no exterior protection. Tarps can utilise these half walls/ big trees / parts of the natural landscape much better in my experience.

In typical internet fashion, I do not have any experience of bikepacking tents to comment on them being bad in these hypothetical situations, but will die on this hill regardless.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

A tent does not need toutilise them as its actually waterproof and the footprimt size of my trekker stealth will be smaller than most tarps
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

the footprimt size of my trekker stealth will be smaller than most tarps
Not sure it quite works like that - footprint implies resting on the ground whereas a tarp doesn't, so a tarp can be set-up in dense forest etc when you might not be able to with a tent even if it were smaller.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Indeed. Case in point, my January BAM:
You wouldn't get a tent in there, no matter how small. Could have pitched a tent on that flat-ish bit of muirburn in the background, but it would have been much more exposed to the 30mph wind, despite only being 20 yards away.

Not that I'm against tents, as previously noted. Will probably use one for Jennride.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

You wouldn't get a tent in there, no matter how small.
Would not want to, it looks a sub standard choice :wink:

Imdeed both options have advatages and disadvatages but pretty sure I will.always find a spot for my tent in the countryside (.as you could bivvy or hammock)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

And another thing....
I used to swear by my Vango helium but eventually realised it was a condensation trap and like sleeping in a nylon coffin. But aside from that it was fine! No the real issue was when it was raining - you had to come out of your waterproofs into the tent in one slick movement, which generally ended up with water in the tent. If you had to get up in the night = more water in. Two nights was about the limit before your stuff started getting seriously damp. When I switched to the Deschutes, it was a revelation - much less susceptible to condensation but best of all a huge space under which you can get out of your wet kit, then either pin up the mesh inner or unroll bivvy. In theory you can do this several times and still keep the wet away from your dry kit. Flat tarp is the same, just a bit more drafty.

If your tent has a big porch you can do this too but then weight is an issue.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

much less susceptible to condensation but best of all a huge space under which you can get out of your wet kit,
Phil you are literally describing a tent :cool:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Indeed... the only tent with a huge space in which you can get out of your wet kit easily is one you can stand up in! Unless you can stand up, both tarps and tents are a wriggle job to get out of wet gear so that cancels out.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I usually avoid the need to wriggle out of waterproofs by aiming for good weather. That way I also avoid all the issues of tarps and tents by carrying neither. It often works well, but not always :|
RIP

Post by RIP »

Johnallan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:55 pm I usually avoid the need to wriggle out of waterproofs by aiming for good weather. That way I also avoid all the issues of tarps and tents by carrying neither. It often works well, but not always :|
Ah well, I like to avoid issues of carrying any shelter at all and sleeping in sheds but that doesn't always work either :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster