Bivvy a Month 2024

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: Bivvy a Month 2024

Post by Verena »

Stinginglip wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:00 pm
Verena wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:07 pm
gecko76 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:07 pm :-bd Liking the...blanket? scarf? A good night to be out because it's about to get colder!
Glad you like it. It's a massive thick fluffy scarf which I bought on holidays in Bagneres de Luchon in the Pyrenees last February, for an impromptu snowy mountain wild camp, which was wonderful, so it carries happy memories for me, and keeps me nice and warm.
Yeah but what about the Wrestling? :lol:
I figured that was probably one of Reg's somewhat disturbing fantasies, that really ought not to be encouraged any more by me replying :wink: - guessing something along these lines ImageIMG_20240115_132442 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

But as it happens, fairly close, this was me a good few years back, getting well and truly strangled by the mighty Manon
ImageScreenshot_2024-01-16-04-42-38-559 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

:cool:
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Amazing! Judo?
RIP

Post by RIP »

I like that red boots outfit. I think I might get one.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

RIP wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:38 pm I like that red boots outfit. I think I might get one.
Those red boots look like a better version of Kevin's green lightweight wellies :lol:
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

Verena wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:03 pm
Stinginglip wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:00 pm
Verena wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:07 pm
gecko76 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:07 pm :-bd Liking the...blanket? scarf? A good night to be out because it's about to get colder!
Glad you like it. It's a massive thick fluffy scarf which I bought on holidays in Bagneres de Luchon in the Pyrenees last February, for an impromptu snowy mountain wild camp, which was wonderful, so it carries happy memories for me, and keeps me nice and warm.
Yeah but what about the Wrestling? :lol:
I figured that was probably one of Reg's somewhat disturbing fantasies, that really ought not to be encouraged any more by me replying :wink: - guessing something along these lines ImageIMG_20240115_132442 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

But as it happens, fairly close, this was me a good few years back, getting well and truly strangled by the mighty Manon
ImageScreenshot_2024-01-16-04-42-38-559 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

:cool:
We can set the mats up in the roundhouse next year and have a comp!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

You know you're not like normal people when you think to yourself 'better get my bivi in whilst the cold weather is still here' :lol: It looks like it's going to be warm and wet again down here next week and a busy weekend schedule means a school-night bivi. I put my thermometer outside on the recycling bin and it was -3 at 8pm at home.... that should do then :grin:

Headed for a woods just outside Newport I've used before but that was on the opposite side so over half a mile from my target spot. I'd noticed on Google earth that an area appeared to have a patch of fir trees and it is also furthest away from the car park so too far for the early morning dog walkers. I'd done a sort-of recce on Monday as I rode home past the area and could see the tops of the pines sticking up behind the broad-leaf at the edge so decided it would be fine.

The ride there was uneventful, easy spinning as I'd wrapped up warm and didn't want to get sweaty but on the singlespeed it's tricky not to get to hot on any climbs so had to open some zips at some points. I cut through the industrial estate in Newport as one of the units used to have a giant display on the front with the temperature and I wondered what it was like in town, but it seems to be gone now :sad: I'd guess it was just above freezing in the built-up areas. Out along the cycle path to Cowes that runs parallel to the river and noticeably colder here. I had considered a bivi along this section but I think that would be very cold with the icy wind blowing off the river... I'll save that for summer.

Turned off the cycle path at Vestas' state of the art development and research center (wind turbines) which is right next door to the old cement works which were first used in the 1840s, also at the cutting edge at the time. As I rode up the road towards the main road I noticed there were a few camper vans parked up, as the road is quite wide but also a dead end I guess it's an out of the way spot to park up. I could see the glow of lights peeping out around the edges of the blinds. They were right next to the large pond for extra chilly damp air.

Soon arrived at the woods, it was only 11 miles from home, but nowhere is very far on The Island. Turned off the path and worked my way into the trees, there were lots of downed trees and limbs all over the place and the trees were much denser than I had anticipated. After much deliberation I decided on two that were just far enough apart for the hammock and didn't have any obvious widow-makers in the vicinity. I'd brought both my underquilts, the Cocoon rated a 0 deg and the adapted Mountain Warehouse down blanket which I've used comfortably down to 10 deg. The internet suggests that stacked these would be fine down to -14. The Mountain Warehouse blanket/quilts are on sale again a £49 so a bargain if anyone is looking for an underquilt and doesn't mind a bit of diy. I've also used it as a topquilt in the hammock and the bivi bag (it has a zipped footbox) and it's also a good budget option for this. It's 300g of 750 FP down and stitched through so a summer option.

There was just enough room between the trees to get the tarp up. One of the issues with choosing a spot was finding a location where there would be enough side clearance for the tarp. In the end only 2 of the guys required pegs with the other 2 tied off to nearby trees. I was probably only 70m from the road as the pines didn't stretch very far in but they wouldn't see my dim headlight as the drove past and once asleep I'd not notice them. The thermometer said -2 which as I was under tree cover was a unexpected. I'd brought a hot chocolate with me to warm up before turning in.

That's a Lifeventure thermal mug in an old bottle that's cut down. It's such a good fit in the bottle I had to drill a hole in the bottom the let the air out otherwise it wouldn't push down to the bottom. Fits in the bottle cage perfectly and much cheaper than the dedicated bike thermos. I paid under £10 for the mug in a sale.

The new tarp blends in well with the surroundings, especially in the dark :lol:

Found the discipline to change out of the riding kit into the sleeping clothes (well I left my bibs on but with the straps loose) of thermals plus my lightweight down jacket, mainly as I could have the hood up to keep my head warm. As I was taking my jersey off a flash caught my eye. Quickly turned off my headlamp in case I wasn't alone. Too cold to sit with a jersey half off I kept undressing in the dark and realised the flashing was the static discharge between my jersey and base-layer :lol: I've often heard it but don't usually get undressed in the dark, it's a shower of tiny sparks between the two fabrics as they separate.

Laying in the hammock I could hear something rustling about in the leaves nearby, this was mainly distracting as I wondered if whatever it was would try and gnaw it's way into my rucksack for my food. I could also hear the odd car in the background, something from VAG as I recognised the engine sound (TFSI) and DSG gearbox sound :geek: Audi A3 or maybe VW Golf? Traveling way too fast for un-gritted backroads when it's below freezing.

I woke a couple of times in the night with a slight chill. I was using my Pipedream 600 bag unzipped as a topquilt but as it doesn't have the clasp around your neck like a dedicated top quilt it would slip down slightly and leave my shoulders exposed, good job I had the jacket on. I'll have to come up with a plan for that. It was definitely cold as the air was cold to breath but didn't get up to check the temperature as the thermometer was hung on the suspension. If I took a deep breath I could feel the chill in my lungs, pulled my buff up over my face and went back to sleep.

All too soon my alarm was going off and I was up at 06:20. Having to leave the warmth of the down cocoon.

Ralph could have a few more minutes whist I got sorted.

Check of the temp showed it was a fresh -4 degrees which was also the overnight low. This is a new LKT (lowest known temp) for me, like a FKT but much less effort :lol: My previous was -3 by the Brecon Canal on the 2022 SWWB.

I hadn't bothered with the stove as I'd be in work soon enough for coffee and breakfast. First it was back on with the cold riding kit, taking the nice warm layers off is always a wrench but the new ones warm up soon enough. Packing all the quilts and sleeping bag back into the stuff sacks generated plenty of warmth. I wasn't rushing but equally I wasn't sat about but somehow it took nearly 50 minutes to get changed and get all packed up ready to go. I'm quite methodical about packing when it's still dark to make sure I don't loose anything. Bush-wacked my way back to the path. When I'd rode through on Monday this was a sea of mud but now it was all frozen, less messy but no easier to ride on as it was like trying to ride over ice covered rubble :lol:

The hammock is more weight and volume than the bivi bag, the front roll is just the sleeping bag and quilts and the accessory pouch is the hammock and the tarp/pegs.

I have been thinking about an upgrade to the MYOG hammock to one with a bug net ready for summer but they are quite a bit heavier, my MYOG is about 260g including the whoopie slings and a Dutchware Chameleon is over 500g including the bug net and over 400g on its own. I could make a bug net for mine but sewing mozzie netting is my least favourite fabric.

I retraced my route back to town, past the camper vans with steamed up windows and frost covered roofs. Riding along the cycle path it was clear I'd have been much colder down by the river.

The ducks don't seem to care how cold the water is. Soon in the office and drinking the first of several coffees :grin:

Looks like I'm in for another year :grin:

1/12 for 2024, 47 in a row (46 Ralph) so next month is 4 years worth.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

A nice solid opener there our Sean and Ralph. Interesting you can find little pockets of trees on the Isle. Presumably the % coverage is lower than average UK? Or is it?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's a section of Parkhurst forest which is 395 hectares in area and the second largest forest on the Isle of Wight after Brighstone Forest - full disclosure - wiki helped with than bit :lol:

It's on the 'wrong' side of the forest away from the car park, seemingly forgotten about for timber harvesting as there are no main tracks to that bit and the road on the boundary would be blocked if you parked lorries on it to load up. There's a small path leading in from the road but only space for 1 car to get partially off the road so I guess it's not popular with other users. I might head back on foot and have a better explore in daylight.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice one Sean. I did consider heading out for a hammock bivy the last couple of nights (well Tuesday and Wednesday) but the temps round here were well below what I've got hammocking kit for, I've only one UQ which is rated to -4C, I've been OK at -1C but haven't been lower than that.

The stacking formula is R1 - (21 - R2) where R1 & R2 are the ratings of the two quilts/bags.

We had some tricky, to say the least, conditions: on Monday we had sleet which then froze overnight; Tuesday was sunny but cold and slightly melted the top of the snow then Tuesday night it was really cold and the snow became rock hard and basically covered everywhere, even the gritted roads were dicey. Could only just stand up on the flat ground outside the house! Studded fat bike tyres would have been the only option for riding.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

That's a Lifeventure thermal mug in an old bottle that's cut down. It's such a good fit in the bottle I had to drill a hole in the bottom the let the air out otherwise it wouldn't push down to the bottom. Fits in the bottle cage perfectly and much cheaper than the dedicated bike thermos. I paid under £10 for the mug in a sale.
Genius
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

riderdown wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:15 pm
Genius
Agreed. I have a couple of those mugs, and I've just chucked out an old bottle that had split, and the recycling bin has just been emptied :roll:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Also have the same insulated mug and has also been used on the bike a fair bit. Although mine has equally classy duct tape and inner tube to make it a snug fit in a bottle cage. And sadly mine ia a tad dented now
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

benp1 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:59 pm And sadly mine ia a tad dented now.
Shiny kit is overrated: every dent tells a story :wink: .
May you always have tail wind.
javatime

Post by javatime »

Not sure if I will do the full year, but might as well get January in the bank.

With a few dry sunny days in the forecast I thought I would get to the Black Mountains midweek, no fixed plan except a night in the bothy and generally road miles so went for panniers on my commuter/shopping bike and easier to pack the big winter bag.

I managed to get bike reservations to Abergavenny, thought my 0640 train from Filton Abbey Wood was an early start, only to be told by the man running the cafe at Abergavenny Station that he opens at 5.00 am (worth remembering) He also told me that the Archbishop of Canterbury and Carol Vorderman are amongst his regular clients

After a bit of breakfast at the station, a stock up at Aldi and a local Lost Lanes suggestion I contoured the base of Sugar Loaf on a bridleway then joined the tarmac at Forest Coal Pit for the pleasant drag up towards Grwyne Fawr. Managed to ride quite a bit of the path in glorious sunshine until reaching the unoccupied bothy in its shady hole so hung around in the last of the sun above before descending.

Got the fire going with a heap of collected brushwood and the wall thermometer briefly peaked at 10C, but with not a lot going on went to bed upstairs at 19.00 for 12 hours in the sleeping bag and was asleep for most of it.

Another sunny but very cold morning with the river mainly frozen and I decided to push, scoot, HAB and just occasionally ride towards Twmpa (LHK) to rejoin the tarmac at Gospel Pass. It was a long way across icy paths in SPD winter boots. Only saw a few armed personnel and another unarmed walker. Rode around to Craswell where the pub wasn't really open but I was welcomed with Butty Bach and artisan roasted nuts by the fire. Then generally free wheeling downhill for many miles through Longtown and the excellent Hope stores to Pantygelli. I needed somewhere warm for the evening so managed to find a small flat spot for my tent above the vineyard on Deri, had soup and noodles before walking back to The Crown where they had the 2024 CAMRA guide (foreword by Bruce Dickinson) and I formulated future weekend plans.

With my next rendezvous planned for late lunch at Shirley's Cafe Severn Beach I caught a couple of trains to Severn Tunnel Junction then a first with the cycle.travel Android app that talked me through Caldicot (breakfast) to familiar lanes near Chepstow, over the bridge, strange "frost dial" at New Passage where the sun had not yet melted the frost, then tea and cake at Shirley's. My lunch meet extended to early beer at The Plough, then back onto the Redland train home.

Train assisted adventure almost on the doorstep - no big miles but good to be out there in the sun and frost and riding a route on a whim.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I kicked off this year’s Bivvy A Month series last Thursday. Up here we'd all been enduring a cold spell last week but the weather folk were predicting the arrival of milder, damp conditions… with Storm Isha coming soon after that! I decided therefore to head out on Thursday while the going was good-ish.

I’d originally planned to bivvy in Saltoun Big Wood, East Lothian, where I’ve camped a couple of times before. However, some boring but essential admin delayed my departure until mid-afternoon. I headed east along the coast and very soon realised that there wasn’t sufficient time left to get to SBW in daylight. Arriving in darkness would not normally be a problem but by way of a change I’d packed a new tent, a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 (bikepack version). Should anyone be interested, I picked it up for half price (£250) from Sport Pursuit. I’d bought it several months ago but hadn't got around to actually practise pitching it. :roll: Instead, I made do with watching a ‘How-to’ video on YouTube on Thursday morning and crossed my fingers. Needless to say, I preferred not to add to the challenge by setting it up in the dark so it was obvious now that my planned destination would have to wait until another time.

I headed inland on frozen tracks from Longniddry, past Macmerry and towards Pencaitland. With light rapidly failing, I quickly selected a spot near the river just outside Pencaitland. There was the inevitable bit of new tent faffage but in truth it went up easily enough. The wind had picked up considerably and was very chilly so I’d selected a spot behind a fallen tree that served as a partial windbreak.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Other than the sub-zero temperatures, I had an incident-free night and woke to find that the wind had dropped and the temperature had risen, both only 'slightly'. It was still nippy enough though so I had a quick coffee and flapjack, packed up then made a beeline for a favourite local café for something more substantial for breakfast. Oh, and some warmth too!

Once fed and watered, it was back on to the very familiar Pencaitland railway path and westwards (into a biting headwind :shock: ) towards home.

That’s 1 of 12 for this year and a run of 73 consecutive BAMs.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well done Jimmy and Javatime for cashing on on the cold snap (and nice luxury digs there Jimmy :grin: ) I'd best get my finger out, but looking rather breezy this weekend....
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Nice work Jimmy, I got out last Thursday for exactly the same reasons. Given it's been raining here on and off since Saturday and has been torrential + storm force winds on occasions I made the right choice!

Everyone who's yet to get a score on the board should pick the next night with a half reasonable forecast and get out before the next storm comes through.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Tomorrow was always my aim but looks like its the sweet spot between terrential rain and storm force winds as its just a bit damp and a bit windy . Storms have been relentless since about december ( think there may have been a week off )
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Agreed Phil and Sean. Gotta fit them in while the going's good (or less sub standard) at this time of year! :smile:
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Boab

Post by Boab »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:42 am Everyone who's yet to get a score on the board should pick the next night with a half reasonable forecast and get out before the next storm comes through.
I'm still primary on-call, so no bivvying till that finishes... This weekends forecast isn't too bad down here, so hopefully we'll get out Saturday.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Might as well start recording my failed attempts. First one was a week or so ago and was meant to be the Friday. But the wife wanting to get the loft done and the daughter asking me the other day if it might seriously be done in 4 years (it's only a small project) left me a little embarrassed.

So this weekend was lofting time, not 'fording'. Now, yesterday I managed to bag myself some work in Hereford and usually when I'm working away from home I manage to get some biking in - no distractions once shifts over!! So I made myself a route.

The idea being simple. I can't really afford hotel costs as it would just eat up my wages. Plus, last week the bill for the Lexus (what is it with these mechanics, even the specialists don't know how/why they should retract the pistons fully when removing/renewing pads/rotors... all the more important when there's 4 pistons, WTH) came in at £1100 which left me in debt to my wife and a friend. £700ish, in case you're wondering.

So, missing out on hotels. I'd make my bivy along that route somewhere after having finished work tomorrow morning. I'd be smashed enough that I could probably sleep anyway. I'd hopefully find some byway and jump behind a bush. But, whilst getting all my gear and bike ready I got late. Bike chain cleaned though and Strada Exposure bracket wedged onto the handlebars. Also managed to give the FlexTail a shot and I rather like it. Be careful with the threads though!!

So I got the little one to test it's abilities. A nice 1min and 5 seconds and this mat was up. Then, flipping it and it was totally flat in a similar amount of seconds. Sadly, time meant I had to shoot off and start driving. Managed to get a little pack with walking gear though, so that'll have to do. ie. walk tomorrow morning and when the hotels open I'll get in some sleep, before another night shift and maybe another walk...

Bivy will have to wait. But, I'm determined. Especially since them leaves are from the December Bivy, over a month ago!
RIP

Post by RIP »

https://amp.theguardian.com/travel/2 ... folk

Apart from the frequently fascinating reports from our esteemed brother Bob Boab it seems that Boners usually head for the hills and mountains.

If you fancy an interesting change why not do the opposite, as espoused by the above article (and book, which I may well purchase: A Flat Place by Noreen Masud).

I'm reminded of my trip in the pissing rain with Siboy, from Shippea Hill station (one train a week!) around Downham Market, Wisbech, Ely etc. Some amazing vistas and skies, not to mention the serenity, etherealness, and other strange experiences that I can't put a word to.

I might investigate this idea as another theme for Reg to try out for further BaMs.

samwise

Post by samwise »

One for the lowland crew (139m ASL) but very close to the highest point in Essex! A post storm bivvy with a couple of friends in a local woodland occasionally used by a forest school. Sadly their supply shed didn't survive storm Isha.......

A bright night under the (almost) full moon.

Up before dawn for a quick coffee in the drizzle before rolling into work.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Another Reg-tastic selection of venues here... :smile:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2024 ... -histories
May you always have tail wind.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:15 am Apart from the frequently fascinating reports from our esteemed brother Bob Boab it seems that Boners usually head for the hills and mountains.
My spot in the woods last week was only 32m above OS Datum, even BOAB should be able to manage higher than that :grin: