Fitting tight tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Fitting tight tyres

Post by ootini »

So I've just spent an hour mashing my knuckles to bits, shredding two inner tubes and snapping one of my tyre levers trying to get my new Pirelli Cinturato velo 700x35 on to my WTB rims. At this point I've given up on them, but was wondering are there any tips or tricks for getting tyres on to rims like this? Or are some tyres just not compatible wuth some rims?

Thanks
Lazarus

Re: Fitting tight tyres

Post by Lazarus »

What I always think in this scenario is how will I get it off, and back on, at the side of a trail in the cold and rain ( I neVer leave a tight tyre on personally)
I tie one side with velcro straps, where its on the rim, and attack the other free side with levers of various sizes.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:29 pm What I always think in this scenario is how will I get it off, and back on, at the side of a trail in the cold and rain ( I neVer leave a tight tyre on personally)
This is what's bothering me now. Even if I do get the tyres on in the comfort of my home with gadgets and tools, I doubt that I'd be able to on the trail. Which is really, really annoying tbh. I may have a pair of these tyres in the classifieds shortly...
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Before you do anything too drastic, have you got thin rim tape? I've been amazed at the difference swapping to thin tape (insulation tape for tubes tyres) makes to the ease of fitting.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Plus, ensure the tyre on the opposite side of the bit you are levering on is right in the well of the rim. I've found a few tubeless tyres (e.g. WTB byways) seem to be reluctant to do this. You need three hands - two to keep the tyre bead pressed into the rim well and one to lever the other side on.... You can use your feet for this! Also put a bit of air in the tube to help keep it away form the bead you are levering into place. Finally, WD40 for the really hard ones.
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

I’ve got these (or something similar) which are handy for fitting tight tyres, I bought them as was struggling to fit some highly puncture proof Schwalbe Marathon Plus to my hack bike/occasional commuter. Bit too cumbersome to be lugging around though.

https://www.wiggle.com/p/lifeline-tyre- ... lsrc=aw.ds
jameso

Post by jameso »

Plus, ensure the tyre on the opposite side of the bit you are levering on is right in the well of the rim.
This and making sure you start opposite the valve and work each side round equally back round to the valve. That bit maybe obvious but I'm suprised how often I see people trying to put a tyre on and not starting opposite the valve and swearing with the effort needed with levers - then sometimes looking suprised when it can be done by hand with the right technique. Check the rim tape thickness as PaulE said.

Motorbike tyre bead wax can be helpful too.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Thanks everyone. I'll give it another go, employing all these tips.
Fingers crossed.
TeaFuelledMutantGingerBike

Post by TeaFuelledMutantGingerBike »

something to lubricate the bead helps a lot if they're tight. Washing up liquid makes a big difference...
ootini

Post by ootini »

Well s##t in a bag and punch it!

It worked! I tried the tips above and the one that I think made the difference was starting opposite the valve hole. Overall the tyres are still a very snug fit, but not ridiculously so.

Can anyone explain why this technique works ? Isn't the rim structure the same all the way round ?

Either way, thanks very much everyone. I can now use my preferred tyres!!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ootini wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:06 pm Well s##t in a bag and punch it!

It worked! I tried the tips above and the one that I think made the difference was starting opposite the valve hole. Overall the tyres are still a very snug fit, but not ridiculously so.

Can anyone explain why this technique works ? Isn't the rim structure the same all the way round ?

Either way, thanks very much everyone. I can now use my preferred tyres!!
It works because the valve (either a tubeless one fitted to the rim or the one on the inner tube) prevents the bead of the tyre from sitting in the centre well of the rim. The well has a smaller diameter than the rest of the rim so you need to get as much of the tyre in there as possible - you are sort of making an oval with the tyre and moving that across the circle of the rim (if that makes sense). It's also why the suggestion of using a thinner rim tape works.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ exactly.

It's one of those things that you're shown once and it's a eureka moment and you understand what a rim well is for. I worked in a Raleigh dealer's as a work experience week when I was 13 or 14 and it was one of the first things they asked me to do - "here, chuck a tyre and tube on this wheel.." - then watched what I did. Lesson learned.

It's interesting that WTB are often a mentioned on tight tyre/rim combo threads but I suspect this technique (or lack of) is much of it. I find them tight-tolerance but workable and so easy to set up tubeless.
arkay

Post by arkay »

jameso wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:36 pm ^ exactly.

It's one of those things that you're shown once and it's a eureka moment and you understand what a rim well is for.
It works just as well when taking a tyre off. Before I figured this out I would regularly snap tyre levers, swear a lot, destroy my thumbs etc etc.

Once you know, all you have to do is push one side of the tyre right into the well all the way round, and then the other side just lifts out with a thumb. No levers or swearing required. (Usually)
due

Post by due »

Spooky. For the first time ever I was also about to give up on a set of tyres that I couldn't get on. Saw this thread...I was always told to start at the valve hole and finish opposite :???: Went on easy starting opposite the valve. My life has been a lie.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

You have just inspired me to take my Ventures off to replace a leaking valve.
jameso

Post by jameso »

It works just as well when taking a tyre off.
It does, same principle.

It's great that others are finding out how this works, one of those things I thought was so good when I was shown how to do it. 'Simple when you know how' : )