QR Aerobars, thoughts?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

QR Aerobars, thoughts?

Post by ootini »

I'm looking at adding some aerobars to my gravel bike for longer distance rides, not for the "aero" advantage, but more the alternate hand, arm, upper body positioning.

Does anyone have any experience of the Redshift QR aerobars, vs more traditional setups such as those from Deda or ProfileDesign?

Thanks
fatbikephil

Re: QR Aerobars, thoughts?

Post by fatbikephil »

No but to offer some experience of aero bars for an alternate arm position for long distance comfort on a gravel bike, I ended up with a biggish spacer under mine to get the height up, otherwise you end of with terminal neck ache within about 5 minutes...

They do look quite spendy - I got a pair of prime mini bars from CRC cheap (they use profile spacers to get them nice and high) and whilst they are OK, I think a full size set would be better. I reckon I'd have a go with the Decathlon ones if I did it again. That said, so far I'm pleased with them and do appreciate the ability to rest on my forearms.
Hyppy

Re: QR Aerobars, thoughts?

Post by Hyppy »

I'm not sure I see the point of aero bars being quick release and as Phil says, they're bloody expensive for the same core functionality as cheaper options. How often are you gonna need to fit or remove 'em in a hurry?

I use 'Deda Parabolica Due', S-bend shaped ones, which I picked up for the princely sum of £11.24 on Fleabay. They're nicely adjustable and offer a fair few hand positions, but out the box are low. Spacers are available though to raise them, which I'd perhaps do if using them for more than a couple of days riding as they do kinda force your weight onto your arms, and I messed up the ulnar nerve in my back using them excessively over a long weekend once.