Near death experience - > what road/gravel gearing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

Near death experience - > what road/gravel gearing

Post by fatbikerbill »

So yesterday I had what can only be described as one of my cat's lives used.

Riding down from the Cat'n'Fiddle on my 16 year old carbon planetX road bike. It suddenly went into violent harmonic shakes. Truly frightening and I struggled to stop. Caused as much by a very strong side wind I think .

Bike appears ok and was fine after I stopped, checked everything.

But I have long considered the next bike, currently looking at a camino, or ribble 725 cgr or gravel.

I really can't decide what gears I'd want. It will get road and gravel duties and will also be used for bike packing. I am no roadie but do do social road rides. I am based and ride in Lancashire and the peaks.

What does the collective here think
ton

Re: Near death experience - > what road/gravel gearing

Post by ton »

i am considering one of these. a proper bike from a proper bike shop.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s23p510 ... -Hydraulic
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

What about something from these lot Phil. https://fairlightcycles.com/product-category/outlet/

Can be had in 825 tubing also.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

The Mason bikes have had lots of great feedback
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I reckon any of the bikes mentioned so far will suit your needs fine. In true "recommend what you already ride" fashion, I'd add a Cotic Escapade to that list.

For gearing, especially if you want it for bikepacking/laden riding, I'd suggest avoiding "road" gearing. Either 1x with an MTB wide-range cassette, or 2x with an MTB or sub-compact crank.
My set up is 40/28 chainrings, with an 11-36 cassette. Top gear will let me pedal along at ~45kph (assuming a nice downhill and a following wind), which is more than adequate for social road rides.
redefined_cycles

Oh... and disc brakes are a must!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've never experienced it badly but the "speed wobbles" are A Thing. The solution, iirc, is to damp the vibration with one leg against the top tube. Not sure a whole new bike is a solution - no guarantee it wouldn't happen with another bike in different conditions, though maybe some frame materials are make it less likely.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I once had a tankslapper on a GSXR600 at full throttle. Absolutely terrifying!
ton

Post by ton »

about 15 years ago i purchased one of the first Specialized Tricross bikes, to use as a do it all kind of bike. it came with some rubber/plastic inserts on the forks, which flexed i think, for comfort. it also came with canti brakes, but with no cable hanger.
anyway, without the stuff i know now, me and some pals went on a weeks trip to the Pyrenees, based in Axat near a few of the TDF climbs.
1st day out we rode up a big hill ( Col Du Jou ). took me a couple of hours IIRC. anyway, the lads wanted to make a loop, i was done in, so turned back to retrace my route.
once i started descending and got up to speed, i pulled the brake to slow me a bit, and this sent me into the worst speed wobble i have ever seen. it was proper scary. it was all caused by the judder in the front forks.
i had to ride the route back just using the rear brake or by walking down anything mega steep. the following days were spent on a hired Emelle mtb...... :-bd
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Thanks all,
Not sure a whole new bike is a solution
Think I am after an excuse for a new bike, and yes, definitely disc brakes.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

fatbikerbill wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:21 pm Think I am after an excuse for a new bike
In which case, crack on :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It's way more annoying to not have a gear easy enough than it is to spin out at top speed(.as you.will still be going quickly downhill).
Agree with ignoring standard gravel or road gearing ( especially if bikepacking )and being more MTB
I use a 34 /52* with a 42 rear cassette BUT my commute is pancake flat and the other way is hills.

* its a mullet so.11 speed sram and 10 speed mtb mech and you cannot get all gears ( smallest and smallest won't really work)
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

yourguitarhero wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:26 pm I once had a tankslapper on a GSXR600 at full throttle. Absolutely terrifying!
I had a tank slapper on a 1939 Royal Enfield Flying Flea. It wasn’t terrifying, because it was on a grassy field and I doubt the speed was over 25mph. :grin:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
redefined_cycles

BTW, have you checked for untrue wheels. Your desceiption sounds like a case of wheels that are laterally true but radially not!? Worth a quick check using thw bike frame as your jig and various zip ties scattered around it if you've not got a wheel jig.