How much grief can I expect?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Hyppy

Re: How much grief can I expect?

Post by Hyppy »

stevenshand wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:32 pm I was in a similar situation a few years ago and ended up with a Nissan Elgrand imported from Japan. …
My new one actually replaces a similar vintage and km to yours Mazda Bongo imported via Jap Autos which never skipped a beat, and held its value ridiculously well. I only sold it as I wanted something more utilitarian.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My reaction to what you will pay for cars is the same as hiw people react when they know what we pay for a bike.

Never paid more than 1 k and only once got to that price once ( went big when i had to put my kids in one ). Despite zero servicing the engines all kept going ( one at double the cam belt interval ) withhout issue till welding issues or too big a bill killed them.
I am of bo help here but bamgernomics has worked for me.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

bamgernomics has worked for me.
There really doesn't seem to be very much about John. I've sometimes had a cheap motor for ferrying dogs and crap about in but I think Dee would like something less shagged ... and you're right, I too think that 30k is completely mental.

I shall investigete the Jap import route. We did have a Bongo years ago which was grief but perhaps (a) things have moved on (b) it was a Fri afternoon job.
May the bridges you burn light your way
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I've been looking at getting something cheap/low hassle as well, as my girlfriend is just doing her license. Automatic only.
Also need something that go in to ULEZ zones (my van is a little told old)

Been looking at Renault Kangoos. Come in a 1.6 petrol, automatics are available. Lots seem to have been disability vehicles as well (some have ramps at the back) - which seems to lead to low mileage.
Might do you right?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Might do you right?
Except it's not high enough - more like sitting in a car than a van which causes hip issues. If you do buy a Kangoo, I'd avoid the 1.5DCI unless it has very low mileage, many self destruct not longer after 100k.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

If you do still go back to the VW T5 idea Stu mine is on an 08 plate with a 2.5 140hp 6 speed... a few minor electrical issues but never missed a beat and MOT done today with no advisories at all... low mileage for one of these but I've been happy with it. Not an auto but cruise control so you can adjust driving position on longer journeys but the clutch is a van clutch. I think some seem to be rough from the start (VW tells me mine had some issues done under warranty before my ownership) but mines been fine. It'll be the chassis that goes before the drive train I think.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Is this classed as 'high enough' Stu? Import, presumably from Japan and they say about cars over there, are treated as luxury items. If it's high enough then we (the community) can share more suggestion.

(I) love a bit of (lovely quality car) window shopping :-bd

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... fresh=true

More importantly, is that within budget!?

I'm with John on not spending much more than 1k on a vehicle. My budget used to be about 1k but nowadays it closer to 2 or 2.5k. Got the 2000 plste luxury (LS430) Lexus for less than 3k and am confident/hopeful (in God) that it'll be the last car I ever own. Lovely to work on too as everything is in the most obvious places that needs replacing.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I went to that Japanese import site out of idle curiosity, and now have a hankering for a Honda C50.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Never having ridden a motorbike is no barrier to my flights of fancy!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Get one bought, superb things and unlike vans, they're 100% reliable.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:58 pm I went to that Japanese import site out of idle curiosity, and now have a hankering for a Honda C50.
I'm with you!
I've been noodling with that hankering for a while.
I have a full bike licence, had various big bike, GT750, GSX750F, RF900, Buell.....but quite fancy a little scooter .... might be useful if we ever get a motorhome ...

Just pottering about the South Shropshire countryside on a warm day would be lovely ...
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I have a new Honda Monkey 125 which covers those bases for me
Absolutely brilliant motorbike to ride and goes on a rack on the back of my camper.

Here it is in Spain last year:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cx6Brg6oinm ... RvZDdrZ2tw
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

If you are thinking of the Toyota Proace Verso, make sure you go Toyota and not one of the Citroen/Peugeot/Vauxhall/Fiat derivatives as they all state a much longer timing chain interval and then don't stand by their own warranty when they snap prematurely. For some reason Toyota quote a shorter service interval for the same engine....

That's about all I can contribute... Apart from a dislike of VW.

Oh, and I have only had good experiences running Jap import stuff over the last 10 years or more...

Si
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:32 pm Thanks all. The back story is that Dee would like to replace her NV200 but the criteria is:

Van type size.
Must fall into the 'mpv' category so can do 60 rather than 50 and cheaper insurance etc.
Not a camper.
Needs rear seats (see point above).
Automatic as a clutch aggravates her hip on long trips.
Should cause me minimal strife.

The WV was simply a stab thinking that something slightly older may have less electronics which in turn may mean less grief but I'm now thinking that train of thought is likely flawed. Her favourite so far is the Toyota Proace Verso (see below) ... if anyone has experience of those I'm all ears. Me, I'm struggling with the idea of spending 30k on something which will likely break / mess me about before it ever reaches 100k miles and I can buy a really nice 5l Mustang for less :wink:

Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

There's a known issue with the T5 2ltr TDI 180HP engines around that time, I think it was something to do with high oil use due to a fault with cooler, which often appears after 45,000 miles. We had a deposit on one a few years ago and walked after some research. We ended up with a 2013 140HP version and all good so far
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Sussex Paul wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:28 pm There's a known issue with the T5 2ltr TDI 180HP engines around that time, I think it was something to do with high oil use due to a fault with cooler, which often appears after 45,000 miles. We had a deposit on one a few years ago and walked after some research. We ended up with a 2013 140HP version and all good so far
Had one, had that issue, avoid.
140 is enough. It's a van not a sports car, it'll not easily be really fast. The older 2.5 was actually cheekier, more fun than the slightly more powerful 180.
The Sportline's do look good though.
Last edited by godivatrailrider on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Also had the 2ltr TDi 180hp in a 2014 Golf and had engine issues similar to above, although not until 90k / 6yrs old. £700 to fix then part ex'd before anything else happened.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

godivatrailrider wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:15 am
Sussex Paul wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:28 pm There's a known issue with the T5 2ltr TDI 180HP engines around that time, I think it was something to do with high oil use due to a fault with cooler, which often appears after 45,000 miles. We had a deposit on one a few years ago and walked after some research. We ended up with a 2013 140HP version and all good so far
Had one, had that issue, avoid.
140 is enough. It's a van not a sports car, it'll not easily be really fast. The older 2.5 was actually cheekier, more fun than the slightly more powerful 180.
The Sportline's do look good though.
Yes, my Vauxhall Movano is a bigger van that a Transporter and has 125 bhp. Drives fine. Better than the 45 bhp Leyland DAF I had before haha
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

boxelder wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:01 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrkuo0y8gMU

Follow your heart.......
:-bd