Bivvy a Month 2024

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Johnallan

Re: Bivvy a Month 2024

Post by Johnallan »

In :smile:

January 24. 1/12

Road bike loop from Hebden Bridge to Halifax, via a few different counties..

A very frosty 5am start over Cock Hill before the gritters were out, sketchy decent to Keighley and sketchy riding/sliding along quiet lanes, through the delightfully named Wigglesworth and Giggleswick to Settle, and Ye Olde Naked Man bakery for first light

Back into Lancashire and the edge of Forest of Bowland, then Kirkby Lonsdale, a quick stop at Sedbergh, past the Howgills and into Cumbria for a nice climb into the clag of Shot Moss. The clag ended quite dramatically at the County Durham border, but my phone failed to capture the moment particularly well.

Through Barnard Castle for a Greggs, diversion around the missing bridge at Whorlton as the sun set, then south through the maze of minor lanes into the flat lands around York.

With the flatlands of East Yorkshire came numerous road closures and frustrating flood diversions, which made access to my planned bivvy location impossible. After a belly full of pizza and 300km, I decided to find an alternative. Not fancying the church or crematorium, I picked up the Transpennie Trail and settled for a fairly rough looking, but flat spot under a bridge at about 10pm for a hot chocolate and a lie down.

A fitful sleep followed, with occasional drizzle on my face waking me. Enjoyable, refreshing and relaxing, but not conductive to a great night's sleep. The 5am alarm was promptly stopped and I spent sometime snoozing and listening to the birds awakening before taking a leisurely breakfast of coffee and porridge, finally getting going around 8:30am

I'd long since decided to cut off a loop out to the east and across the Humber Bridge, assuming the floods would be even worse. Instead I headed south, loosely following the Transpennie Trail, diverting around floods until picking up the westbound return leg south of Selby

Not the best riding near Wakefield and Dewsbury, especially with most of the greenways closed due to railway 'upgrades', but I'd managed to stay away from the worst of it, using canals and quiet lanes where possible.

Finally home around 3pm Sunday after a mostly enjoyable mooch

Last edited by Johnallan on Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Blimey, that's a fair old tour. Some lovely photos. 👍
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye, you've set the bar pretty high already there. Cracking writeup :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:34 pm ...you've set the bar pretty high already there.
Don't worry Reg, I'll soon lower it.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Johnallan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:09 pm Image
FFS John! Maybe in June or something, but 430KM for January BAM...!?!
I was hoping for a low entry bar this year... 🤣
Top effort. 👏
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

A stunning ride, John and one of contrasts too. :-bd
That pizza looks ace, but the bivi site looks a rather...erm, "optimistic" from a weatherproofing perspective :grin:.

A tough act to follow :shock:
May you always have tail wind.
Mrs Polisherman

Post by Mrs Polisherman »

Wow John! You've inspired me to up my game for February. I need to start planning now....
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Chapeau some ride that, never mind it being winter .
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That's pretty epic! I can't top that ride, that's quite a high benchmark. Fortunately you set quite a low bar for bivi spots :lol: so I'll aim for less impressive rides but better bivi locations.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:47 am I'll aim for less impressive rides but better bivi locations.
That's absolutely my plan for the rest of the year :lol:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I suspect John is going to get some 'nutter of the month ' award for January bam, that is an optimistic mid summer ride for me.

My entry is Nant Rhys bothy at the WE. I have not done a lot since November due to health and then a week away. I ended up walking part of the climb to the bothy which I have never done before.

I arrived earlier than I expected and for a while was alone and then a car pulled up. I had just been reading the notice board about cars not being allowed - or the associated parties. I saw a fella through the window who did not look the party type and then his chums. When they came in it turns out it was the assistant MO and his mates who were there to clear up after Ch/NY but the bothy was clean. They were staying over, and a 4th chap arrived who was with them. They had wood, 20kg of coal plus beer, wine, whiskey, loads of food and music. Quite a night. It turned very cold but popping outside the night sky was stunning.

https://strava.app.link/jYJviZMTdGb

1/12 and 25 consecutive months.
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

Johnallan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:09 pm In :smile:

January 24. 1/12

Road bike loop from Hebden Bridge to Halifax, via a few different counties..

A very frosty 5am start over Cock Hill before the gritters were out, sketchy decent to Keighley and sketchy riding/sliding along quiet lanes, through the delightfully named Wigglesworth and Giggleswick to Settle, and Ye Olde Naked Man bakery for first light

Back into Lancashire and the edge of Forest of Bowland, then Kirkby Lonsdale, a quick stop at Sedbergh, past the Howgills and into Cumbria for a nice climb into the clag of Shot Moss. The clag ended quite dramatically at the County Durham border, but my phone failed to capture the moment particularly well.

Through Barnard Castle for a Greggs, diversion around the missing bridge at Whorlton as the sun set, then south through the maze of minor lanes into the flat lands around York.

With the flatlands of East Yorkshire came numerous road closures and frustrating flood diversions, which made access to my planned bivvy location impossible. After a belly full of pizza and 300km, I decided to find an alternative. Not fancying the church or crematorium, I picked up the Transpennie Trail and settled for a fairly rough looking, but flat spot under a bridge at about 10pm for a hot chocolate and a lie down.

A fitful sleep followed, with occasional drizzle on my face waking me. Enjoyable, refreshing and relaxing, but not conductive to a great night's sleep. The 5am alarm was promptly stopped and I spent sometime snoozing and listening to the birds awakening before taking a leisurely breakfast of coffee and porridge, finally getting going around 8:30am

I'd long since decided to cut off a loop out to the east and across the Humber Bridge, assuming the floods would be even worse. Instead I headed south, loosely following the Transpennie Trail, diverting around floods until picking up the westbound return leg south of Selby

Not the best riding near Wakefield and Dewsbury, especially with most of the greenways closed due to railway 'upgrades', but I'd managed to stay away from the worst of it, using canals and quiet lanes where possible.

Finally home around 3pm Sunday after a mostly enjoyable mooch

Thst looks epic! :-bd Can I ask what bike you are riding?

Thanks. :grin:
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

BridlewayBimbler wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:18 pm
Can I ask what bike you are riding?
It started as a Planet X Hurricane but it's a bit of a Triggers Broom. Nothing special but it does the job
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

Johnallan wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:28 pm
BridlewayBimbler wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:18 pm
Can I ask what bike you are riding?
It started as a Planet X Hurricane but it's a bit of a Triggers Broom. Nothing special but it does the job
Thankyou! Looks good with the Apidura and Tailfin luggage. :-bd What tyres are you running?
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

January bivvy done on the Winter event after a great day playing in the hills we went to the seaside, before dinner and beer we had a look around for suitable places for the night . Reg , Pete and Lu were happy with a sheltered spot while I wanted to be outside to try the new bivvy bag out and i found a nice place in the dunes . Full of food and properly rehydrated it was bedtime it was pretty cold and I was soon in the bag and enjoying a stunningly beautiful night sky . I woke up around 5 for a wee and the bivvy was covered in ice . I was quickly back in my sleeping bag and when doing up the bivvy I ended up with quite a lot of ice for company a bit more practice required i think . I got up with the sunrise to find my bath had frozen over !
ImagePXL_20240107_073618839 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

ImagePXL_20240107_073721628 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

I didn't do very well with the leave no trace rule .

ImagePXL_20240107_081231419 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

Blackhound wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:18 pm They had wood, 20kg of coal plus beer, wine, whiskey, loads of food and music.
Blimey, lucky you! I might have to reconsider my not-interested-in-bothies prejudice, as I assume this happens every time? :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

samwise

Post by samwise »

Raggedstone wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:58 pm January bivvy done on the Winter event after a great day playing in the hills we went to the seaside, before dinner and beer we had a look around for suitable places for the night . Reg , Pete and Lu were happy with a sheltered spot while I wanted to be outside to try the new bivvy bag out
How did you find the Sierra Designs bivvy?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Some excellent reports and adventures to the start of the year. Sorry bout the clavgy expereince for Dewsbury and Wakefield John. Setting the bar very high there with 400km (or more).

Raggedstone and John, your bivy setups have inspired me. I was half thinking about the tent but now might just get going with the lovely Rab eVent bivvy. Not looking forward to it (the bivy bit) as much as you lit but the road bike will be ready soon God Willing.

Thanks again all. Looking forward to 2024 :grin:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Looking like Friday night might be the date for me, but I'll not be doing 400km for it (what a start to the year :cool: )

Thinking either a new coastal bird hide I've found, or a hammock in a nice looking spot in a local woods i came across. The woodlands being ace for some wildlife and bird watching, ironically the bird hide is in some dunes with sight of very little from it :roll:
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Aiming for Saturday and a palladian mansion no less (recce needed).
RIP

Post by RIP »

gecko76 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:08 pm Aiming for Saturday and a palladian mansion no less (recce needed).
Ooh, teaser alert :smile: . Intrigued...

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I’m in again. :-bd

1/12 on the WE with RIP, MuddyPete and Raggedstone. Reg has brilliantly covered the trip in the WE thread and I have no more to add.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Ooh, teaser alert :smile: . Intrigued...

Recce done - was a bit worried about the fence but turns out that won't be a problem. My method, such as it is, is to scan Google maps on satellite view for areas of woodland, see if anyone has uploaded pictures and take it from there. Route through the woods today was very muddy (cue complaints from the girls until they were snacked) so will approach from a different angle.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Looks good. Barred windows presumably have an alternative route...

gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Something like that ;)

Also, bumped into a chap walking his dog who mentioned another potential spot; an abandoned hospital, complete with children's toys last time he was there.