How much grief can I expect?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

How much grief can I expect?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How much grief can I expect with something like this? Say with 40k on it. Any known faults or issues?

May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Re: How much grief can I expect?

Post by FLV »

When I had one, everyone had a story about how it was going to let me down. EGR valve was going to break, dual mass flywheel was going to break etc etc.

I ran mine from 40k to 90k with no issues though.

I think in reality, they probably don't break much more than other vans, but there are loads of them and you know how people love it when then the popular kid has a break down.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I've driven the 2.5 176bhp Sportline for 5 years, then got the 180bhp 2.0L sportline T5.1 and had that 9 years.

Neither gave many issues, were a pleasure to drive. Avoid the 180 biturbo engine. Ok up to 100k then they seem to start drinking oil and that's going to get very expensive to fix.
I got rid at 110k.

But otherwise they're excellent if overpriced. Would certainly consider the TVP family now.... https://thetvp.co.uk/
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

FLV wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:19 am I think in reality, they probably don't break much more than other vans, but there are loads of them and you know how people love it when then the popular kid has a break down.
I thought that when I was buying my Caddy and everyone said the injectors would fail.... first breakdown was driving it back when I bought it (M25) and it failed again last year on the way to Mike's (from Bromsgrove) on the M42.

Stu, I assume you'll want to work on it yourself? No experience of Transporters but assuming they are similar to my Caddy (quite a few shared parts) you'll need the software to connect to it for any diagnostics and for more jobs than you'd think. for example I changed the heater re-circulation flap motor and had to set the limits with VAGCOM.

VAG do seem to love a single-use stretch bolt so if you work on the suspension etc. then be prepared to have to use new bolts every time you take one out :roll: I changed the rear engine mount bush in the sub-frame which meant taking the sub-frame out to push the bush in (and we had to turn up some tools to do that job as well) and it cost £120 in bolts to take it out and put back.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I think mechanically they're good, although problems do seem to vary with different engine types..
The standard 1.9TDi is a good engine, but the ones around the 100bhp could feel underpowered in that sized van when loaded up..
If it's one from the years of the emmissions cheating & has had the update, i've heard peeps saying that they can notive the change, so definitely worth taking into consideration..

If you get one ignore the 'long-life' service intervals & change the oil every 10-12k miles
Last edited by Wotsits on Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I ran a poverty spec 2.5 with keep-fit widows etc. for about 6 years without any issue. I decided to swap it for a newer Transit Custom which has since cost me an awful lot more
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Don’t ask me about my T6 which has been in the garage for a month and they are still not sure why it won’t start. I was a big fan until this point. It is possibly the garages fault and I’m in a sticky situation as I cannot prove it. It went in to have a rough idle looked at and they have replaced a fuel pump, injectors and are now pointing at the ECU. Would possibly have been cheaper to buy a new van
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Sounds like it’s too late for Dave, but VW have an option of an extended warranty for vans up to 6 years old, but they have to satisfy certain criteria…

https://customer.vwfs.co.uk/service-pla ... gKqu_D_BwE
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

What FLV said. I've not long since bought a new (to me) van myself, having put it off for nigh on a year through fear of buying a lemon. Mates in the motor trade ultimately forced my hand, telling me to stop worrying and just f'ing buy something. There are so many vans out there that some are bound to have issues, but nobody is ever gonna rant in a forum that theirs is fine and drives without bother, which is obviously the norm.

That said, I reassured myself by buying privately from someone with mutual friends to me and so unlikely to be hiding anything in its history.

I'm not even gonna say what I bought, as I know someone will tell me how the 'whatchamajig' always fails on them. :lol:
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

There's a guy onYouTube who spent a crazy amount of money on a high spec new one which has given him constant issues!
I don't know if he brought a lemon, or there are existing problems?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

In the (almost) 30 years I've been driving I've had 14 "daily drivers" and two T5s make up almost 10 of those years so they can't be all that bad! :wink: My first T5 was a 54 plate that I had between 2014-2019 and only sold it because a mate was selling his ten year newer T5.1 which I still have.

The first one is now on 188k with the new owners and any issues it had were down to age and things inevitably wearing out.

I will echo the diagnostic issue though. My first van gave me palpitations when the engine light came on and it was only for a rear bulb I hadnt spotted had blown! My generic code reader wasn't able to parse the error.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I've had two Transporters:

2009-2017 was a 2.5 130BHP 6 speed which was lovely to drive, but had (now) known faults with engine and oil/water pumps. It cost me probably £2.5K in fixes, but I covered over 100K miles in it and loved it.

2017-now is a T6, but very early with EU5 engine, 5 speed 102BHP. I've hampered it and had it 'chipped' to 140BHP. It's a delight and has cost me nothing beyond standard servicing (at a trusted indie, not a VW palace). As above, change the oil regularly and use the correct stuff. It's covered 90K miles now.

It'll be due cam belt and associated pump etc change (if not done already), but 40K on a 10 yr van is unusual. I'd want the story - is it an 'extra' vehicle with only leisure use?

Go for it, they're great.
Mart

Post by Mart »

My mate has had one for years, issues so far
- drive shafts wear due to no grease from factory. Replaced and greased on rebuild. No further issues
- every 3years new EGR

Think thats about it, otherwise pretty hassle free for him
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thanks all. The back story is that Dee would like to replace her NV200 but the criteria is:

Van type size.
Must fall into the 'mpv' category so can do 60 rather than 50 and cheaper insurance etc.
Not a camper.
Needs rear seats (see point above).
Automatic as a clutch aggravates her hip on long trips.
Should cause me minimal strife.

The WV was simply a stab thinking that something slightly older may have less electronics which in turn may mean less grief but I'm now thinking that train of thought is likely flawed. Her favourite so far is the Toyota Proace Verso (see below) ... if anyone has experience of those I'm all ears. Me, I'm struggling with the idea of spending 30k on something which will likely break / mess me about before it ever reaches 100k miles and I can buy a really nice 5l Mustang for less :wink:

yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I spent a lot of time looking at different vans. Was replacing an Leyland Daf 200!
Asked the mechanic (with whom I spent a lot of time, being a Leyland Daf owner!) about which ones he sees the least of, and he said go for a French one. They're cheaper than the German ones, are more reliable and rust less. Similar price to a Ford but also, more reliable and rust less.

I bought a Vauxhall (rebadged Renault) and it's been great.
ripio

Post by ripio »

yourguitarhero wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:36 pm I spent a lot of time looking at different vans. Was replacing an Leyland Daf 200!
Asked the mechanic (with whom I spent a lot of time, being a Leyland Daf owner!) about which ones he sees the least of, and he said go for a French one. They're cheaper than the German ones, are more reliable and rust less. Similar price to a Ford but also, more reliable and rust less.

I bought a Vauxhall (rebadged Renault) and it's been great.
French vans (Peugeot) we had at work were terrible, lots of electrical faults, door handles/latches, suspension, etc.
ripio

Post by ripio »

Wotsits wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:33 pm If it's one from the years of the emmissions cheating & has had the update, i've heard peeps saying that they can notive the change, so definitely worth taking into consideration..
VW Transporter (and variants) wasn't affected by the emissions scandal, some versions had the EA189 engine but they never had the cheat software installed, so weren't subject to the update.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

These days no manufacturer can afford to make a truly "bad" vehicle. You might get a lemon but it's unlikely.

The local post office use Peugeot Partner vans (basically the same vehicle as the Citroen Berlingo and the Vauxhall Combo) so presumably they are reasonably reliable. We are on our second - the first got written off after someone ran into it whilst it was parked. It's the only vehicle I've ever bought a second instance of. Ironically it's been garage bound for some time, mostly being in the queue to be fixed - Ad-blue injector then the fuel filter and fuel pump failing almost immediately afterwards and then going to the back of the queue.

I have commercial insurance and got a courtesy van when the first was off the road. That was a Mercedes Vito, not a bad vehicle in itself but there were usability issues that surprised me - nothing serious safety wise but just made me think "why?" - getting in and out of the van was more The Dukes of Hazzard than white van man; the ignition key turned towards you as if they'd just taken an ignition switch built for the right-hand side of the column and used it on the left side; a weird handbrake system.

Conclusion: test drive a few and buy the one you like the best.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

ripio wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:59 pm VW Transporter (and variants) wasn't affected by the emissions scandal, some versions had the EA189 engine but they never had the cheat software installed, so weren't subject to the update.
That’s really interesting, thanks. I was going off the Caddy & even discounted buying a transporter once myself with the emissions a factor..
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

My 2014 Caddy was affected by the emissions thing, I declined to have the recall work done. I ran the Caddy (2.0 140hp) from 2014 to 2021, no issues at all. It was Euro 5 and I needed a Euro 6 van so bought a 2017 T6 Kombi (2.0 204hp auto). I should have bought the bigger van sooner, 6 seats or a huge load space, I like it a lot. Both vans have only needed routine servicing.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

We had a bad batch of Peugeot expert, dispatch, pro ace vans all with Adblue issues around 2018 reg they all got sorted in the end by the dealer but it took forever
Trying to ride bikes.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Just get the mustang and stop messing about
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

This thread shows exactly why I took an age to buy anything. It's evident that all makes and models of vans are crap. Let's just stick to bikes, yeah? Except anything with a pressfit BB as they always creak.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's evident that all makes and models of vans are crap
I share that belief.
ust get the mustang and stop messing about
That took longer than I thought it would. :-bd
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I was in a similar situation a few years ago and ended up with a Nissan Elgrand imported from Japan. There are loads of examples around, all RHD, no rust (much less road treatment in Japan) and many with very low miles. Apparently, they often get used as 'holiday' vehicles, 2 or 3 trips a year. Mine was a 2004 with less than 40k km (not miles!). Really great vehicles and super-versatile. 3 rows of seats, the rear ones fold out of the way and the middle row can spin round too which helps if using it as a day van. Biggest down side is that they can be a bit thirsty (3.5L V6 petrol). Super comfy and quick enough for longer trips, especially fully loaded. Auto box with switchable 4wd. Loads of people importing them from Japan if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

something like this : https://www.justjapanese.co.uk/used-nis ... er-5669142