adding layers equation against cold ??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

adding layers equation against cold ??

Post by ton »

in the UK winter, i ride in a single layer pair of trousers from either Keela or Quechua. always ok even down to recent rides of minus 7.
so roughly, by adding say a pair of merino base leggings or similar, what kind of temps would be managed ? in my head i always think a good base can cope with double the temps.....if you get what i mean.

what do you reckon. thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: adding layers equation against cold ??

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think it'd be hard to get a meaningful answer that's not pure guesswork as there's so many variables to consider. Examples - wind speed / chill, raining or dry, tight fitting or loose layers, are your base layers tucked into your socks and is your top tucked into the bottoms to help avoid convective heat-loss etc, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

On my first day in Rovaniemi back in '19 it was -25, sunny and perfectly still. I went out for a bimble up the river and totally overheated - Pearl izumi super warm bibs, base layer x 2, medium weight DHB cycling top, fleece, paramo jacket. I ditched the fleece and was still a bit warm. For a future similar ride I'd go with thin base layer longs and paramo velez trousers. (And boots rated to minus 100)
Up top I'd make sure I could switch layers around easily but keep something fairly windproof ontop as riding at a reasonable speed (i.e. 8mph) will make -25 seem awfully chilly. But pushing a bike through kneed deep snow will mean wearing much less...

PM Karl, he's the expert!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I think if you can manage with normal trousers down to -7c in the UK, with merino pants added and the insulated over pants you recently bought, you’ll have most bases covered.

Most I wore on my legs in low temps (-20C or so) was roubaix thickness tights below my wind stopper softshelll pants and then a base layer, fleece and wind stopper softshell jacket (plus down jacket for stops/downhills). I also really feel the cold, I’m always wearing more layers than anyone else in work!

Gaiters are also useful to take, great if you fall off into deep snow.

Potential article here for you
https://theradavist.com/what-to-know-ab ... refsnider/

and this is worth a read too
https://bikepacking.com/plan/winter-bikepacking-guide/

And a self write up about R150 way back in 2015 as it has ‘what I took’ at the bottom
https://singlespeedsimon.wordpress.com/2015/02/

Don’t forget to consider what you’ll wear in zero temps in case you get a freakish warm week (ask me how I know…!)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ooh Aye, gaiters are essential - I forgot mine and ended up with snow in me boots, which melted = water in my boots = cold feet....
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:00 pm Ooh Aye, gaiters are essential - I forgot mine and ended up with snow in me boots, which melted = water in my boots = cold feet....
Oh yeah, I carried waterproof socks as a just in case. Also carried a lot of other ‘just in case’ stuff, no wonder I was slow :lol:

Also Tony, lithium batteries don’t like the cold. I found my garmin etrex was showing the battery on one bar on the start line (fresh set too). Cue lots of panic but they lasted the same amount of time - so don’t panic yourself :lol: