sorry to ask again but Wahoo or Garmin ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

sorry to ask again but Wahoo or Garmin ?

Post by ton »

i bought a garmin etrex off here, but it is not any use to me. i use a chrome book, and you cant load routes from chromebook onto a garmin etrex.

so i will ask again if it is ok.
i need a simple gps unit. all i need to do is load a gpx file for a event onto it, from either my chromebook or via bluetooth from my phone.
Shaf lent me a wahoo gps (cant remember which model ) which was easy to do what i want.

so which is easier for my needs ?

thanks for your patience with this. :oops:
johnnystorm

Re: sorry to ask again but Wahoo or Garmin ?

Post by johnnystorm »

Are you sure you can't transfer from a chromebook to your Garmin? You might not be able to use the garmin software but you can drag a gpx from a chromebook folder to a garmin.

I've only had chromebooks since 2015 and create routes in ridewithgps or komoot and have transferred them to my garmin 810 and dakota. Usually use my phone to transfer to my edge explore. A wahoo would just sync from komoot or rwgps in a similar way.
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

Double down on the above, I think it doesn't get more basic than an etrex. I used to resent not being able to edit or upload routes on the fly, but I since realised I can stick the etrex sd card into my phone, on which I can do the routing, and just copy the gpx files into the etrex folder inside the phone. Faff, yes, but works.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Chrome is awkward with the garmin stuff( 4 years since I had a chromebook and used to use works laptop for garmin) surprised they don't have software for it yet .
Any garmin with Bluetooth will let you do it from connect app , 530 for example
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

I like simple and efficient so have a wahoo bolt that I got from here. Bluetooth with my phone and can sent routes in seconds. Tried Garmin stuff but just couldn’t get it to work. I don’t have a laptop so do everything on my phone and find the wahoo app works great.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I agree with you Ton, I’m fairly au fait with technology but the etrex was just plain awkward (with a non Chromebook too). Creating a route, then saving it in a certain file format to then have to plug in the GPS and then drop it into a certain file etc Fine if you use computers everyday but a pain if you need to load one up or you’re rushing out somewhere (or you arrive somewhere and the file hasn’t gone over)

Much prefer the garmin edge series with Bluetooth, plot a route on my phone wherever I am and then Bluetooth it over to the device. Nice and simple after doing it once or twice and if it does fail to send across, you can do whilst out (and mid ride you can check the route on your phone too to get a better idea of where you are/where you’re going etc).
ton

Post by ton »

etrex now sold. wahoo road purchased.

the wife has just reminded me, we had a garmin tour years ago, and it was a PITA to use. we sold it. :lol:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

ton wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:39 pm etrex now sold. wahoo road purchased.

the wife has just reminded me, we had a garmin tour years ago, and it was a PITA to use. we sold it. :lol:
The edge touring was a stinker, borrowed a mates for a ride around Norfolk with Chickenlegs. The Edge Explore is *much* better.

Assuming you have a smart one Tony the Wahoo will see you right. Assume you've bought a "Rove" as it's autocorrected to "Road"
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ton wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:39 pm etrex now sold. wahoo road purchased.

Hope you got the bigger ROAM unit. Much easier to use with big fingers than the bolt (which was a v1). Congrats 🤗... Added advantage of the v2 (other than just having the routes appear after syncing to your phone and having starred them in Strava or opened the original gpx file with the wahoo app) is that you can get point to point navigation without even opneing the phone. You also have the ability to do alot more and the memory is absolutely maaaaasive.

Just don't try and load 2 routes from the same edit (in Strava for example) without properly giving the second a totally different name. That was a bit of a pest for me but they were very large routes. Enjoy...
ton

Post by ton »

it is the roam. fingers crossed it will do what i need.