Single skin tents: do they work in British conditions?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BridlewayBimbler

Single skin tents: do they work in British conditions?

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

Hi all,

Do ultralight single-walled tents works in wet windy Blightly? Or are they a miserable condensation nightmare?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Single skin tents: do they work in British conditions?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The answer is 'depends'. In my experience, if you treat and use them as you would a normal tent then you'll likely find yourself both disappointed and damp. However, think of them as a 'shelter' rather than a 'tent' and they can work okay. Managing vents, sleeping with the door partially open and raising the pitch height can make a massive difference to how they perform, as can selective pitch choice.

Basically, they're not fool-proof and require some thinking and input to get the best from them. Obviously, some are designed better than others too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Obviously agree with everything Stu says, but by way of just one positive example I've had my Gatewood Cape out in "wet" (rain) and "windy" (40mph+) conditions (an exposed location on a February night) and enjoyed an interesting kip which wasn't a nightmare and wasn't miserable - I'd use the word 'exhilarating' :smile: . Admittedly condensation was the least of my worries. So yes they "can" work well. The main point I'd personally take from Stu is they are "shelter" not "tent".

Oh alright, I've also had one moist overnight in still conditions near water. But that was me not doing the 'thinking' part diligently.
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

My Lanshan failed miserably when pitched in the garden of nice pub at Stanbury.
Nowhere in the instructions does it say "Drinking 6 pints of refreshing ale before zipping yours self in for the night will create moist conditions for sleeping"
RIP

Post by RIP »

Polisherman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:42 pm Nowhere in the instructions does it say "Drinking 6 pints of refreshing ale before zipping yours self in for the night will create moist conditions for sleeping"
:grin: :-bd I always assume the manufacturers have this as one of their standard tests before they ship each new piece of kit out...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Never had a problem with my Hexamid. Would occasionally suffer from condensation if I pitched poorly and didn't allow for airflow.

Greetz

S. : )
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I had one years ago, a TNF one. Was tall enough to sit up in and was reasonably vented. Worked well from Easter onwards but did find the winter more prone to condensation (which would also freeze on the inside…!)

I have bought a nature hike single skin tent but I’ve not had the chance to use it (or made the effort if I’m being honest!)