Find yourself a Fogou.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Find yourself a Fogou.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Never heard of these before but (a) dead interesting and (b) can't help think about an overnight :wink:

A fogou is a name derived from the Cornish for cave.
Fogous are underground stone-built tunnels, mainly constructed in the early Iron Age (between 500 and 200 BC) and in use into the Roman period).
They are extremely rare, with the remains of only 15 fogous known to survive in England and all of them are in Cornwall.
They are associated with settlements and were possibly used as a safe refuge or for storing food and valuables. In pre-Roman times, they may have had a religious or ritual significance.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Hamish

Re: Find yourself a Fogou.

Post by Hamish »

A friend used to live next door to this place. It was really interesting and cool both metaphorically and literally.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/vis ... u/history/

From memory you could kip in it… but it was close to some cottages on an estate that quite a lot of people visit.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The word isn't too dissimilar to the Welsh for cave (ogofâu) is it? Both Celtic/Brythonic whatever languages.
I was just reading about the rapid decline in the Cornish language, after the Prayer Book Rebellion in 16th century. Bloomin religious zealots.....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_Book_Rebellion
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:40 pm A fogou is a name derived from the Cornish for cave.

They are extremely rare, with the remains of only 15 fogous known to survive in England and all of them are in Cornwall.
Don’t want to come across as an arse but do you think the two are related? ie calling it a Cornish name and then declaring you can only find them in Cornwall?! Or am I misreading it and these type of ‘caves’ are only found in Cornwall and no where else in England and they just happen to have a Cornish name?

Either way, yeah look great for a bivi spot. Often thought the Owain Glyndwr cave near Beddgelert would be good for a bivi
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My understanding was that they were something more specific than 'cave' as they're man-made and it sounds as though they may follow a certain formula in their construction?
May the bridges you burn light your way
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Aka souterrain, I think, and not unique to Cornwall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souterrain?wprov=sfla1

"These structures appear to have been brought northwards from Gaul during the late Iron Age. Regional names include earth houses, fogous and Pictish houses. The term souterrain has been used as a distinct term from fogou meaning 'cave'. In Cornwall the regional name of fogou (Cornish for 'cave') is applied to souterrain structures. The design of underground structures has been shown to differ among regions; for example, in western Cornwall the design and function of the fogou appears to correlate with a larder use."

Map of Scottish ones: https://www.stravaiging.com/history/anc ... outerrain/

Bivvied in one last January, twice in fact. The first time was damp. The second time I took my girls and pitched a tent inside for them. They were fine but I got soaked because of the additional condensation.

Will check out some of the others, but with added tarp (obviously deployed in such a way as not to damage ancient monument).
KernowSteve

Post by KernowSteve »

There are quite a lot of man made holes like these on Dartmoor as well as Cornwall. From a bivvy perspective they often suffer from the "well known by locals" point of veiw. The likes of us see a great bivvy spot for a trip out whereas locals see them as drinking dens, sh@#%&ing spots and places to hang out and get p£%@##d!!!!! I think most of the well publicised Cornish ones are under control by local estates and English Heritage etc etc, so not really good for a bivvy. There are quite a few natural caves along Whitsand Bay here in South East Cornwall but they suffer from the "well known by local teenagers" problem so generally are a better option for a Winter bivvy when its cold, wet and windy!! Lot's of online info about potato caves on Dartmoor and other "holes" to store food in for the Winter. I've often considered a bivvy out in one of these, but it's just picking the right time of year, about now when it's pretty bleak is probably best if you want to avoid normal people to be honest!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Not so much Cornwall but here's a few interesting 'shelters' from back in the day here in Eryri. The first one is probably a recent adaptation to an overhanging rock though.

The 4* Hotel not far from Croeso

Inside

And this one which is most definitely a shepherds shelter. Its at approximately 910 metres on the slops of Foel Fras.

Inside

I've also come across this shelter in the depths of Gwydyr forest

Inside

Tal y Fan but probably full of sheep Poo
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Thanks for that Gecko, interesting link :-bd

Was watching Whisky Galore last night, maybe I’ll find one full of whisky :lol:

Great finds Jeff, liking that one in the Gwydyr Forest. Would never of thought to look inside
KernowSteve

Post by KernowSteve »

After reading this post I started to consider the possibility of a bivvy in one of the "Potato caves" on Dartmoor. I've often thought about it, but never seriously investigated any of them to qauge how good/bad they would be.
This is Leather Tor potato cave near Burrator reservoir, whilst out on a hangover curing ride early this morning.
Image.
Image.
To be honest it was pretty damp and rocky inside but would probably do if you were desperate for shelter.
I can see a plan being formulated for this year already....
Fogou a month anyone?
Mart

Post by Mart »

Kipped in the shelterstone in the Cairngorms a few times. Always felt claustraphobic when inside.
Summer was ok, winter was sheltered but it was more like a freezer than a cosy bothy.
After that I always made the extra effort to get in and out in one day from the Hutchison or Corrie Cas
2924 miles per Gallon