Which Exposure light?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Which Exposure light?

Post by redefined_cycles »

For equal amount of time spent in road cycling as well as mountain biking. Hopefully they've started using usb-c charging now. Think I'm coming to the end of my love of my Nitecore - needs new batteries and it's not a specific beam for road/off road anyway, though it does last long.

Cheaper the better and bulk is an issue (so the maxD types are probably not suitable) as I never take that much storage ability. Though I like to remove the headlight during day hours. If that all makes sense!
psling

Re: Which Exposure light?

Post by psling »

" cheaper the better " and " Exposure " - bit of an oxymoron :lol:

Strada is probably the one for largely road use and usable off-road but like most things you have to compromise. I use an older (less powerful) Strada for bikepacking along with a helmet mounted Joystick but use a more powerful light for mtb blasts.
Last edited by psling on Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

One light for on and off road is a bit too much to ask for, as the beam patterns suited to each are very different. Maxx-d Vs Strada, for example.
Exposure is a good choice though...
  • Built in battery - no wires
    Rock solid, quick release mount
    Excellent customer service
My joystick and race-maxx have been going strong for over a decade - the specs of more recent models are much better, but I see no need to change, as long as they're working.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Road and off-road beam patterns are quite different but a bar mounted light with a road pattern and a helmet mounted light to supplement it for off-road use would work.

Exposure ain’t cheap but you get what you pay for. I think they still use the mini jack style socket as they are more water resistant. I just wish they did something In between the Joystick/Diablo sized models and the Strava/Max-D ones.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have the Toro, great for road and ‘classic’ gravel and some easy XC stuff but does require a head light to look through corners on fast, twisty off road stuff.

Not the best picture and the light is pointing a little more down for use on road but you get the idea
Attachments
IMG_2628.jpeg
IMG_2628.jpeg (199.87 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
redefined_cycles

Thanks all. Yes, it's the Toro I was hoping might just make the compromise for me. Have owned 3 Exposures so far (the Toro was new and I think and older Strada model worked great too) and it was a lovely experience. Hence after I sold them on - for whatever reasons - I'd retained the mounts on the bars.

Might well go for a Strada again then with the Aktiv mode which dims for oncoming traffic. Then supplement it with the MOON head torch when off roading. I always take 2 lights out with me anyway.

Best get saving I guess :smile:
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I use a Strava on the bars. I road commute in the dark sometimes and it's good for that.

If trail riding I add a Joystick on my helmet. Works fine for me
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:20 am For equal amount of time spent in road cycling as well as mountain biking.
Strada.
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:20 am Hopefully they've started using usb-c charging now.
Nope.
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:20 am Cheaper the better and bulk is an issue (so the maxD types are probably not suitable) as I never take that much storage ability. Though I like to remove the headlight during day hours. If that all makes sense!
Probably not a Strada then! I've had three Stradas (MK3, Mk6 and this year a mk11) and they are superb for multi day road riding but for a single day a Race or Toro would be as good, smaller and lighter. I've mostly used a Strada on the bars with a Joystick on the helmet for BB200 type riding.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Joystick for your head and whatever you prefer for bars ( mtb batteries does an exposure battery for about £50. Joystick will last all night( 8-10 hours) on full power
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Strada and joystick for me. Top combination. You can USB C charge (I think) using the Exposure USB cable and a USB down to C adapter. Not tried it though.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I use an exp race for pretty much everything these days, inc the BB300. Works fine on or off road. The strada will be better but the race is cheaper. I got mine from the outlet for about £170 - I note a few places doing them for under £200.
redefined_cycles

Dyffers wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:08 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:20 am Cheaper the better and bulk is an issue (so the maxD types are probably not suitable) as I never take that much storage ability. Though I like to remove the headlight during day hours. If that all makes sense!
Probably not a Strada then! I've had three Stradas (MK3, Mk6 and this year a mk11) and they are superb for multi day road riding but for a single day a Race or Toro would be as good, smaller and lighter. I've mostly used a Strada on the bars with a Joystick on the helmet for BB200 type riding.
I was meaning that I usually remove off the handlebars during the day for multi day rides. So a compact light would fit better in the bikepacking bags. I basically don't wanna run out of light again :-bd and I recall enjoying ownership of both the Strada (but the newer version looks bigger) and Toro previously.

Sounds like it's gonna be a debate between a Strada and Toro!

Thanks Dyffers and everyone else.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Why exposure? Absolute garbage value for money IMO
redefined_cycles

rudedog wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:44 am Why exposure? Absolute garbage value for money IMO
Good point. My last 2 did me realy really well. Hoping to do alot more night riding with plenty being road. Needed the reliability of a light that just keeps going!

Which were you gonna suggest. I've been making do with my Nitecore for a while (and since I moved on the Exposures as I thought the AMMP by Cateye were my go-to... turned out they weren't and keep breaking/dying!).
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

rudedog wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:44 am Why exposure? Absolute garbage value for money IMO
For me, they’re reliable and I prefer the all in one system too. They are the only light to have lasted more than two years (I commuted daily for 15 years, so used the lights a lot)

I’ve managed to kill -
-Hope lights (disappointing to be honest)
-Bontrager
-Topeak
-Chinese style ones
-BLT
-Moon

Only lights that have lasted for me are cateye rears and exposure front and rears. Exposure may not be the brightest, have the best beam nor the cheapest but the combination of programmable output, reliability, battery, light spread etc works for me
jameso

Post by jameso »

The Strada beam pattern is good for road and MTB ime. It's not got such a defined cut-off that it's no good off road (eg compared to the low, distinct cut-off of the SON Edelux II)

Ideally I'd have a dynamo and Edelux or similar on all my bikes and add/use a head torch for MTB as needed, but for the MTB currently the Strada works well and using the boost cable as a GPS charge back up is great.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

There are cheaper lights but they all have their cost ( reliability ot back up etc)
Exposure just work as expected and a light fail is pretty catastrophic and these just work.

My main mtb light is a troutie light and still faultless but on its third battery now
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Also Exposures customer service is fantastic
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I hope so, just emailed them about my 2.5 year old Joystick which seems to have died due to water ingress.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:03 am
For me, they’re reliable and I prefer the all in one system too. They are the only light to have lasted more than two years (I commuted daily for 15 years, so used the lights a lot)

I’ve managed to kill -
-Hope lights (disappointing to be honest)
-Bontrager
-Topeak
-Chinese style ones
-BLT
-Moon

Only lights that have lasted for me are cateye rears and exposure front and rears. Exposure may not be the brightest, have the best beam nor the cheapest but the combination of programmable output, reliability, battery, light spread etc works for me
That’s some list !

Things I don’t like about exposure lights:

Fiddly button and ‘Tap’ technology wasn’t reliable
No way to set custom modes/brightness (available programmes have some big gaps)
Unimpressive beam pattern, throw and burn times (compared to other lights)
Can’t replace batteries
Bloody expensive
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I'm unimpressed with the Strada

My mk14 joystick is ace
redefined_cycles

riderdown wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:33 pm I'm unimpressed with the Strada

My mk14 joystick is ace
Which version of the Strada and was it the super bright or road bright version pls RD.
redefined_cycles

Asking cos I've narrowed it down to a Strada RB in the latest model.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

It's a mk11 SL

I think, I'd have to check the box and I'm not at home
redefined_cycles

Thanks for that RD. I've found a m12 SB with the big battery at a good price. Will order that soon :-bd