Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by RIP »

Boab wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:36 am I can see this home automation malarky could get quite spendy...
Very economical automation in our house - Mrs Perrin: "Reg, I told you to turn that light off half an hour ago didn't I, go and do it now" (*). Reg: "Yes dear". "And hang the washing out while you're there". "Yes dear".

(*) An unusual situation anyway since we only have a light on in the room we're currently occupying if it's dark. House looks like a Hammer horror movie from outside most of the time.

Not cheery today. Woke up dreaming that someone had filched my Brompton. Not sure how they did that since it's attached to me much of the time.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm now officially part of 'team lurgy'. Thank you Dee, a truly thoughtful present :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

At least you have a penis. GWS
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Every cloud Dave, every cloud. :wink:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:13 pm I'm now officially part of 'team lurgy'. Thank you Dee, a truly thoughtful present :-bd
Hope you and Dee are ok, whatever is going around this year seems to be ‘flooring’ people
RIP

Post by RIP »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:39 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:13 pm I'm now officially part of 'team lurgy'. Thank you Dee, a truly thoughtful present :-bd
Hope you and Dee are ok, whatever is going around this year seems to be ‘flooring’ people
Commiserations. Still, yet another excuse, if any needed, to avoid the "festivities" :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Richpips

Post by Richpips »

FLV wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:27 pm
Richpips wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:43 pm Out of office email set up.

Off to pick up a frame and fork from Shona and Rich shortly.
That is cheery! What did you go for?

Cheery here too matching your first point :-bd
A Salsa Journeyer.

Made a start on assembly last night.

Verena

Post by Verena »

It was actually Thursday, but never mind, close enough...

I was at work, on a home visit in Ystradgynlais to seen an old lady with knackered knees 'n hips about a possible stairlift... completely unremarkably looking council house, nice lady, etc.. Checked with her about what sort of heating they have, which was coal central heating...then her husband or partner walks in, and before I know it we've gone completely OT, with him telling me about how he's been collecting lumps of coal off the hillside for twenty years, turned out he's a bit of an expert on all the local mining history, used to take people on tours walking up the mountain and all that...
And then to top it all off, when I was back on topic and was about to leave, she said, "let him show you what he's got in the shed on your way out"... Well, first I saw a Harley Davidson he'd built or restored in the garden, then, in the enormous shed, another five or so motorbike projects under dust sheets...and then he showed me what he was working on, another hobby, making statues. It was basically a shop mannequin, which he'd covered in small bits of metal, like scales, a sort of sexy Predator type creature, with a Hellraiser head, and a clever little bikini bottom thing made out of motorcycle chain.

Mind blown. WTF. It was like talking to Reg and Stu's long lost half brother, minus a mountain bike :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Verena wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:33 pm "let him show you what he's got in the shed on your way out"
I’ve been caught out like that before with old men :shock:
RIP

Post by RIP »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:38 pm
Verena wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:33 pm "let him show you what he's got in the shed on your way out"
"making statues" - definitely a euphemism :lol: . Honestly V, you have my admiration for putting up with us bunch of kids in here :smile: .
V wrote: basically a shop mannequin..... like talking to Reg and Stu's long lost brother
Ah. Unfortunately you're a little too close to the truth than you might think.... My desk in 1991.. rescued her from outside a junk shop on the way to work one day (*).... good old Dolly, I'd forgotten about her... best PA I ever had to be honest....

(*) Arg, it's all coming back now. Took her legs off, and her shirt, and put her upper half in the passenger seat of my Mini with her arm out of the window. Got some interesting looks for the rest of my journey to work.

Last edited by RIP on Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Verena

Post by Verena »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:38 pm
Ha ha, yes I did wonder...but a quick exchange of knowing glances with the missus to seek her reassurance/ permission, and I figured I'd be alright... :cool:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Very good Reg ...

I was soooo wanting to take a photo, but thought that would be classed as unprofessional...same as taking up the kind offer of being "taken up the mountain" :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:38 pm the kind offer of being "taken up the mountain" :lol:
This is spiralling out of control, stobbit! :grin: It's Crimbo Eve... the season of goodwill to all, er, mannequins....

RIP

Post by RIP »

It’s sort of Friday. Feels like it anyway. So I'm fairly cheery because I’ve just listened to James May “guest presenting” on Radio 4. I'm on topic because he had two points of discussion/ranting close to my heart: tea and cycling. Rambly post I’m afraid as I’m trying to avoid doing the washing up. Make a pot of tea perhaps. Or just “grab a coffee” and ignore me.

To digress slightly, one of my Crimbo prezzies was from a mate in Wales – some tea. Doesn’t sound very impressive until you see the stunning jet-black jar:

Aye, Welsh tea grown in, er, Wales. The Peterston-super-Ely tea gardens in fact. It contains precisely 12 grammes of leaves, and suggests 3g per brew re-useable 3 times (strange idea). I don’t know but I’d wouldn’t be surprised if weight for weight it's more expensive than saffron. Swap you for a bit of gold leaf?

Anyway, James May. He’s of the opinion that discerning tea drinking is being overwhelmed by mindless coffee drinking, and I agree. Firstly he went to The Ritz (*) to sample a proper pot of tea and ask the views of the general populace, where he discovered that many people are now having coffee first drink of the day rather than a decent brew. Shocking.

(*) in Hammersmith

Off he goes next to Stoke-on-Trent (great place) to visit Port Vale Football Club, where they have not one but TWO tea ladies, with actual trolleys. Now that’s more like it. The Club believes that the provision of tea and tea ladies greatly improves productivity (no “going out to get a coffee” time-wasting) and team cohesion (everyone sits down and has a proper chat over a pot of tea and biscuits and/or cake). I expect they use bone china cups (they certainly ought to in Stoke!) and tea leaves as well.

Of course tea drinking is a far more contemplative and thoughtful affair than the ridiculous “grab a coffee” alternative, and more sociable and pleasant too. With tea one converses languidly and companionably over a shared pot of taking it in turns to pour. Far more civilised than “grab and go and gobble”.

Even tea venues are nicer. Compare sitting in a soulless corporate coffee chain with its garish lighting and no tables – they don’t want people hanging around enjoying themselves – with a nice chintzy tea shop. I totally refuse to patronise any of those ubiquitous coffee places. My spot of choice in town is a little independent café called Latte Dah (even he couldn’t resist) where you take as long as you like over a pot or two. And talking of Latte, please can we stop calling them “Lartays”? So uncouth. Thinking about it, coffee is frequently not even taken when sitting down, but while walking quickly down the street, bucket in hand, phone in the other. What’s all that about? Joyless. And wasteful plastic lid and "cup" litter. Most people don't even seem to notice they're carrying it - they've just been talked into it by the Corporate Juggernaut.

The whole tea drinking “moment” is so good that of course there’s even a whole book extolling its virtues: “A Nice Cup Of Tea And A Sit Down”. Note that the sitting down is just as important as the drinking. I do not have the equivalent coffee book: “A Bucket Of Coffee And Running After A Bus”.

So James is right. Coffee is basically associated with wandering down the road, or sitting round a campfire farting prodigiously.

OK, I can now take my tongue out of my cheek ;-). Maybe.

Later on James moved on to cycling and specifically the benefits of cycling in London – fast, free, fun and keeps you fit. He rightly thinks a change in attitudes to cycling is more useful than better infrastructure. He is not a fan of HiVis clothing or licences. Although he did think E-Cargo-Bikes are getting a little too close to becoming a “vehicle” and can cause more damage than a plain bike so there may be a case for licences there.

A nice touch to interview a taxi driver who liked cycling but still believed cyclists should have licences, HiVis and mirrors as well. James disagreed of course :smile: .

So there we go. Tea and bikes. How could they possibly be controversial?

Right, now where's that teapot?

:wink:
Last edited by RIP on Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sat here reading that with a wry smirk and a Nescaf latte Reg :wink: In my defence, I'm still not feeling quite right and have perhaps compounded the matter further by barrowing stone down the lane to fill in a big hole, in what I can best describe as very inclement weather. After my latte, I shall enter the forest chainsaw i hand to clear a drainage ditch which is in no way 'mt responsibility' yet, is thrust upon me simply because no one else gives a monkies - my point? A coffee's quicker :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hah!

PS. Hope that isn't the same hole you spent a lot of effort doing the other year? :sad:

You could play this to jolly the job along: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P-JVnlB7 ... nM%3D

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:38 pm Later on James moved on to cycling and specifically the benefits of cycling in London – fast, free, fun and keeps you fit.
It could possibly become more bearable too, based on this...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... port-shows

The comment from the Mayor about "Log Fires in London" reminded me of comments hereabouts, too :wink: .
May you always have tail wind.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It was all sounding reasonable until I read ... "the figures are estimates', which leaves me to then think, 'so the entire study and thus positive sounding article could simply all be bollox?' :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I guess they aren't going to spend all that money putting them in, p****ing people off making them all buy new motors etc. etc. for the paid for study to show it didn't work...
or am I a cynic? :grin:

It's pish anyway - My 2l diesel can be driven into Edinburgh's LEZ (not that I would ever contemplate such madness) whereas my mates 1.5l diesel (which does a chunk more mpg and is free road tax) can't - go figure...
slarge

Post by slarge »

However you must admit that directionally ULEZ is a good thing if we are to breath cleaner air.
I think it would be great to go further and halve the number of cars on the road (alternating odd/even days or something).
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Back to Reg’s coffee rant, sadly the research needs to go further on its benefits. My cat is very very needy. He has to be brushed top to toe before breakfast, my breakfast. He also has to do this stood on my newspaper. The only thing that ends this ritual is my cup of lovingly brewed stove top coffee which he detests. So our ritual ensues. I come down to a chorus of meows. Fetch the paper from Co-op after discussing the weather (again) with Karen. Carefully fill my Turkish stove top with exactly the right amount of coffee (Colombian) and water. Put the paper on the table and commence brushing.

This lasts until Jan hears the bubbling of brewed coffee when he shows me his arse for the final time and then heads off to his food bowl. I then have the glorious pleasure of a good old rant at the news with lovely fresh coffee. A moment (almost) shared. So James is wrong in my case. There’s ritual and company and no sticky out fingers.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

:grin:

"exactly the right amount of coffee" - there's your next book right there Dave. "Obsessive Coffee Disorder" :grin: :-bd

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:41 am ...This lasts until Jan hears the bubbling of brewed coffee when he shows me his arse for the final time and then heads off to his food bowl...
Just record the sound of bubbling coffee, then play it back to the cat at your convenience and reclaim breakfast harmony for yourself :d

Cats are parasites and should not be indulged :| .
May you always have tail wind.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheery-ish
Just had a leisurely day spannering in the shed as well as the third attempt to seal a leak in it's roof. It needs completely redoing but that won't be happening until March at the earliest so hopefully a couple of coats of gunk advertised as roof sealer will do it.

Off up north tomorrow for my annual gathering with friends to do some bike riding, drink beer and say 'happy new year' at some suitable point.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Have almost finished work for the year, but at least the last hour or so will be at home, having been kicked out of the office by the ever patient cleaners ....

Cheery because I've just bought myself a ticket for Drumsheds in London for Easter Saturday... a little techno indulgence all for myself, just because....hoping to combine with taking my bike for some riding round London, also just because I fancy it :mrgreen: