Recommended me a tyre :)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BridlewayBimbler

Recommended me a tyre :)

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

Evening all!

I jusr wanted some feedback on tyres for UK conditions-so basically mud/potholes etc! :/.

I think the limit for me at 700c is 42mm with the current wheelset. With 650b it's about 47mm, or thereabouts?

Ta! :-bd
Valerio

Re: Recommended me a tyre :)

Post by Valerio »

Pirelli Cinturato M
Not a fluffy gravel rider.
Organiser of the Tor Divide
https://tordivide.co.uk
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

UK road conditions or UK 'supposed to be gravel but realistically mud' conditions?
BridlewayBimbler

Dyffers wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:00 pm UK road conditions or UK 'supposed to be gravel but realistically mud' conditions?
'Mud conditions/shitty potholed lanes/squirmy loose- packed gravel
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Have a look at the reinforced sidewall version of the WTB Resolutes. The grip is good for everything but thick mud, way better than lighter tread tyres like G-One Allrounds, Teravail Cannonballs etc. They roll pretty well too, not.awful.on.the road, and not too squirmy.
Regular sidewalls are a bit fragile though, especially on rocky stuff.
BridlewayBimbler

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:22 pm Have a look at the reinforced sidewall version of the WTB Resolutes. The grip is good for everything but thick mud, way better than lighter tread tyres like G-One Allrounds, Teravail Cannonballs etc. They roll pretty well too, not.awful.on.the road, and not too squirmy.
Regular sidewalls are a bit fragile though, especially on rocky stuff.
Thanks :-bd I'm a Gravelw****r if that makes any difference?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I gathered that from your max clearances. My recommendations are based on what I've been using on my Cotic Escapade over the last 7 years.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I’d recommend resolutes as well, good grip in anything other than deep mud and not too draggy on the road. They’re overkill for pure road rides but I’m too lazy to switch them out.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Valerio wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:57 pm Pirelli Cinturato M
I currently use these and love them.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Hutchinson Tundra. They are tough, with bead-to-bead reinforcement, and a fairly knobbly tread that actually rolls well, but copes well with mud/general back lane crap very well. A real all-rounder and I love mine. The tread makes it look more uncompromising than it is, it has a fairly rounded profile (on 23mm rims) so rolls well on the centre tread most of the time and doesn't feel slow.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I'm just about to retire my G-One Ultrabites which have covered over 2,000 km since I put them on, the rear is starting to look a bit thin down the centre. I'm tempted to buy the same again as they've been great, I mostly ride compacted gravel, forestry tracks, a bit of single track and a decent chunk of tarmac, they're not the quickest on black top but roll okay.

Current shortlist is Terravail Rutland, Hutchinson Tundra, Cinturatos or another pair of Ultrabites

EDIT: Just found an unused pair of Ultrabites for £45 on ebay so decision made
Boab

Post by Boab »

ootini wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:53 am
Valerio wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:57 pm Pirelli Cinturato M
I currently use these and love them.
I also run these on my gravel bike, in the 700c x 45mm flavour. Great for pretty much everything, but clag, slop and wet roots. There is a newer Cinturato™ Gravel S, which is supposed to be for softer and muddier terrain...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.