Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:59 pm Blower is a Sprintex. They've unusual in that they're not a lobed Roots type but a 'twin screw'. This makes them much more efficient but they're very expensive to produce hence you rarely see them this side of Top Fuel.
Used to see them on Rover V8 powered comp safari racers back in the day*

* This was when people thought a 3.9L 200 bhp Rover V8 was enough power and before they discovered that a Lexus (Toyota) V8 at 4.0L NA produces 380 bhp at 10 times the reliability and is more economical.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

@whitestone - Yikes.....but just think of the improvements this will bring to the air quality of S Dales and Westmoreland :grin:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:07 pm I was waiting for the cheery punchline Simon - not coming is it?
Afraid it didn’t Stu!

Cheers Verena :-bd

Starting to feel a bit more ‘normal’ now.

- - -

In cheery news though, we’ve picked up our first cat today :-bd Our dog died last March and mrs-voodoo and mini-voodoo have been wanting something furry to pet

Meet Thor!
Attachments
IMG_8676.jpeg
IMG_8676.jpeg (85.23 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ah, the "You will obey" look :lol:

Be prepared for several months of him getting into everything as he learns about his new home. Once he's got the lay of the land he'll stop then it's just him finding the nicest, most secure places for him to sleep - tops of cupboards, that sort of thing. He'll totally ignore new things until they get your scent over them - we got a throw/blanket for the sofa and ours wouldn't go near it for about six months and lots of washes.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ahh bless! Makes a nice change from all the dogs that get posted on here :grin:
Hmm. Thor is quite a name for a cat to live up to - could be a clawed ball of terror that beats up every other local cat; or a fat lazy cat that spends all it's days in front of the fire!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cue Gary Larsen...

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Or....
Attachments
Cartoon.png
Cartoon.png (405.09 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:17 pm Ahh bless! Makes a nice change from all the dogs that get posted on here :grin:
Hmm. Thor is quite a name for a cat to live up to - could be a clawed ball of terror that beats up every other local cat; or a fat lazy cat that spends all it's days in front of the fire!
Our dog was a shih tzu and we talked about getting a brother for her for years but never did. We always joked that we would call it Thor as shouting Thor in the park and this tiny shih tzu comes running out would be funny (name inspired by Hushovd by the way and nothing to do with Marvel).

Anyways, talk of getting a male cat comes about and Thor was the only choice (well, Kevin was second after home alone just so I could shout KEVIN loud like his mum!).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

boxelder wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:37 pm @whitestone - Yikes.....but just think of the improvements this will bring to the air quality of S Dales and Westmoreland :grin:
And…

The bloomin’ thing wouldn’t start this morning ~X(
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Current air quality of S Dales and Westmoreland = blue?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearlegged wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:20 am Current air quality of S Dales and Westmoreland = blue?
Deep blue!

Contact garage- they say I have to get it to them. Err how? My service agreement has breakdown cover so the garage texts me their number. Except it’s the helpline not the breakdown line. “Text me the right number or transfer me“ - “I can’t do that , I’ll email you the warranty booklet with the number in it”.

I suspect there’s lots of buck passing going on.

Edit:

Ray from the AA turned up. Fuel pump overheating, network comms broken. Needs to go back to the garage except that now I'm at the back of the queue so it could be another several weeks before it's fixed :cry:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Welcome to the forum Thor :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Tomorrow will be a lot cheerier than it might have been. Emergency op to fix a torn retina yesterday, after a previous attempt with lasers two weeks ago. This time they used cryotherapy - freezing with liquid nitrogen. Scary stuff. Only a local anaesthetic. I don't think they actually pop your eyeball out onto your chest to fix it but it bloody felt like it. Very impressive what can be done these days. Originally found the issue with a random eye test. Motto: get your eyes tested regularly Boners!
Last edited by RIP on Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

RIP wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:06 pm Tomorrow will be a lot cheerier than it might have been. Emergency op to fix a torn retina yesterday, after a previous attempt with lasers two weeks ago. This time they used cryotherapy - freezing with liquid nitrogen. Scary stuff. Only a local anaesthetic. I don't think they actually pop your eyeball out onto your chest to fix it but it bloody felt like it. Very impressive what can be done these days. Originally found the issue with a random eye test. Motto: get your eyes tested regularly!
All the best with that Reg!
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thank you Dave. I've parked it in the "not much fun" box of life experiences :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

AndreR

Post by AndreR »

RIP wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:06 pm Tomorrow will be a lot cheerier than it might have been. Emergency op to fix a torn retina yesterday, after a previous attempt with lasers two weeks ago. This time they used cryotherapy - freezing with liquid nitrogen. Scary stuff. Only a local anaesthetic. I don't think they actually pop your eyeball out onto your chest to fix it but it bloody felt like it. Very impressive what can be done these days. Originally found the issue with a random eye test. Motto: get your eyes tested regularly!
Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery sir! :-bd
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
slarge

Post by slarge »

And my cheery Friday is I got a new road bike frame, and just ordered everything to build it up. It is a beauty, and I seem to have misused my credit card somewhat, but it'll be a once in a lifetime purchase!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

slarge wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:40 pm And my cheery Friday is I got a new road bike frame, and just ordered everything to build it up. It is a beauty, and I seem to have misused my credit card somewhat, but it'll be a once in a lifetime purchase!
Fess up which frame?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:06 pm Tomorrow will be a lot cheerier than it might have been. Emergency op to fix a torn retina yesterday, after a previous attempt with lasers two weeks ago. This time they used cryotherapy - freezing with liquid nitrogen. Scary stuff. Only a local anaesthetic. I don't think they actually pop your eyeball out onto your chest to fix it but it bloody felt like it. Very impressive what can be done these days. Originally found the issue with a random eye test. Motto: get your eyes tested regularly Boners!

Yer not getting out of leading me round the BB winter event that easily….
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

slarge wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:40 pm ……but it'll be a once in a lifetime purchase!
Oh yeah. Sez who?
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:23 am Yer not getting out of leading me round the BB winter event that easily….
As far as our japes are concerned it's normally "the blind leading the blind" anyway surely :wink: .

So long as your left eye works properly we'll have binocular vision between us :grin: .

Quite weidr typign this wiht one eey coverde up.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Hope it all heals up nicely Reg.
Last night, we were reminiscing about the time Granny P had her retina repaired by the surgeon using a syringe to introduce a little air bubble into her eyeball. The bubble floated up inside the vitreous humour, and held the tear in place as it healed. Unfortunately for Granny P, the tear was at the back of her eyeball, so she had to spend all her time lying face down.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

For the first time in ages I have a day off and nothing I have to do or anywhere I have to be.
I plan to potter around the garage doing jobs, eat mince pies and maybe buy a new bike.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Today, I shall mostly be messing about with cement yet again. That in itself isn't especially cheery but I do see a glimmer of light*, so chin up :-bd

*very much like Reg I imagine.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:43 am Today, I shall mostly be messing about with cement yet again. That in itself isn't especially cheery but I do see a glimmer of light*, so chin up :-bd

*very much like Reg I imagine.
https://youtu.be/9ACNIxje0KE?si=tJFNsmA8HlloM2OY

Good luck with the cement and eye healing, not to mention mince pie eating and bike buying...

CF as after two colds back to back since my night ride I'm finally starting to vaguely feel like myself again...