Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by fatbikephil »

Eff all snow here but V chilly. Hills oop north looking plastered but I'm unable to reach it due to other commitments all weekend..... ~X(
Off on Monday so hoping to get out for a belated GFD ride then.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Spotted on my way to lunch.*

*The pub.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:44 pm Image

*The pub.
Good spot! :lol:

"Weight restrictions" - isn't that a bit personal, or are they taking a hard-line approach to TLS principles?
May you always have tail wind.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Off to Dorset for a few days at the in-laws. Taking the bike and keeping fingers crossed for more cold, dry weather :YMPRAY:
Verena

Post by Verena »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:35 pm
Bearlegged wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:44 pm Image

*The pub.
"Weight restrictions" - isn't that a bit personal, or are they taking a hard-line approach to TLS principles?
(Puts biscuit back down :oops: :lol: )
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Not sure I'll be riding this weekend, but taking my scout group on their mini-expedition tonight... couple of hours walk by headtorch tonight followed by pizza and a film or 2 in the scout hut we're sleeping in. Tomorrow's plan is a scenic walk home via houndkirk hill and stanage edge which should be pretty spectacular in the frost
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

PaulE wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:18 pm Not sure I'll be riding this weekend, but taking my scout group on their mini-expedition tonight... couple of hours walk by headtorch tonight followed by pizza and a film or 2 in the scout hut we're sleeping in. Tomorrow's plan is a scenic walk home via houndkirk hill and stanage edge which should be pretty spectacular in the frost
The Revenant, followed by Touching the Void, should get them in the right frame of mind for a little winter walking :grin: .
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:17 pm
MuddyPete wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:35 pm
Bearlegged wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:44 pm Spotted on my way to lunch.*
(Puts biscuit back down :oops: :lol: )
:grin: I thought they were considerately providing the wheelie bins for BaMers to sleep in....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:21 pm
:grin: I thought they were considerately providing the wheelie bins for BaMers to sleep in....
Has been done....at least half in, for extra stealth... when kipping in near plain view of a farm house in Cwmystwyth...
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

After stupidly busy work week, I'm looking forwrd to tomorrow.

To celebrate Global fat bike day, I'll be taking the fat bike to the glorious 8 miles of sand that is Cefn Sidan Beach, for a blustery seaside potter. :grin:
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:59 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:21 pm
Has been done....at least half in, for extra stealth... when kipping in near plain view of a farm house in Cwmystwyth...
Good effort :grin: . Top half in or out? Vertical or horizontal? :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

How time flies. Friday again. Nowt to do wi' bikes I'm afraid but the 'dappled golden leaves' rather pleased me on a stroll with Mrs and daughter P.

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Came down with flu like symptoms Wednesday night, so having a few days off work but me+mrs_voodoo are supposed to be going to Amsterdam tomorrow for two nights! Had child care etc all arranged, just trying to cancel everything as we speak.

Car park issued us a voucher and I was 12 hours too late to get a full refund in the hotel (received half a refund from them). Just trying to navigate EasyJet but it doesn’t look hopeful
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was waiting for the cheery punchline Simon - not coming is it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Leaving the cardboard and masking tape stage and entering the aluminium and duct tape phase is cheery. I know it'll likely not mean much to anyone but trust me on this :wink:

Boab

Post by Boab »

No a huge amount cherry round these parts, still got a throat thing going on. 😞 Did managed to get our sons old room decorated (over the last couple of weeks) for our daughter to move into this weekend. I did develop some 5"x4" sheet film last Sunday, which was cool, plus loads of UV tubes and associated gear turned up; so I can now make a UV exposure hood for making Cyanotype prints.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:52 pm Leaving the cardboard and masking tape stage and entering the aluminium and duct tape phase is cheery. I know it'll likely not mean much to anyone but trust me on this :wink:

NASA seems quite keen on the duct tape phase too, so you're in good company :wink: .

https://images.app.goo.gl/5ceNe8M7vE7ZH5ha7
Verena

Post by Verena »

CF here, because 24 years ago today I did an alright job giving birth to a bouncing baby girl :cool: - well when I say bouncing, I mean flying actually :lol: - (true) family story, often retold, of how, my mum having told me fibs about once the head is born, the rest just sort of follows (it so didn't), it still hurt, and I thought "sod it I've had enough of this", gave it one more almighty push (not hat you're supposed to do!), with the result that she promptly came flying out, superman pose, and the midwife only just managed to catch her in mid flight :lol:

Even better :wink: , she's gone away for the weekend.

And my cough and cold is finally getting better....
Verena

Post by Verena »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:21 pm Came down with flu like symptoms Wednesday night, so having a few days off work but me+mrs_voodoo are supposed to be going to Amsterdam tomorrow for two nights! Had child care etc all arranged, just trying to cancel everything as we speak.

Car park issued us a voucher and I was 12 hours too late to get a full refund in the hotel (received half a refund from them). Just trying to navigate EasyJet but it doesn’t look hopeful
not cheery at all :sad: - get better soon
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Is that a Dyson Stu? :grin:
Girding oneself for yet another wet bike ride to the darkest borders tomorrow...
Beer helping!
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:52 pm Leaving the cardboard and masking tape stage and entering the aluminium and duct tape phase is cheery. I know it'll likely not mean much to anyone but trust me on this :wink:

Anything that looks like that has got to be interesting. :-bd
Is that a GS engine?
What are you grafting on Stu?
Insanity over vanity
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is that a Dyson Stu?
That'd be a 'sucker' rather than blower Phil :wink:
Is that a GS engine?
It's a Z1, 1075cc, flowed, big valves etc blah blah. Blower is a Sprintex. They've unusual in that they're not a lobed Roots type but a 'twin screw'. This makes them much more efficient but they're very expensive to produce hence you rarely see them this side of Top Fuel. I'll set it up with a Mikuni HSR 42 meant for a Harley and see how we get on. I'll aim for 10psi boost (people keep saying "up the boost" but they don't appear to realise that boost is little more than a measurement of restriction and if the motor doesn't breath well normally aspirated then no amount of boost pressure will overcome it). Rough in my head calculation says 150 hp at the wheel.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:59 pm
Is that a Dyson Stu?
That'd be a 'sucker' rather than blower Phil :wink:
Is that a GS engine?
It's a Z1, 1075cc, flowed, big valves etc blah blah. Blower is a Sprintex. They've unusual in that they're not a lobed Roots type but a 'twin screw'. This makes them much more efficient but they're very expensive to produce hence you rarely see them this side of Top Fuel. I'll set it up with a Mikuni HSR 42 meant for a Harley and see how we get on. I'll aim for 10psi boost (people keep saying "up the boost" but they don't appear to realise that boost is little more than a measurement of restriction and if the motor doesn't breath well normally aspirated then no amount of boost pressure will overcome it). Rough in my head calculation says 150 hp at the wheel.
[/quote
Z1! Should have recognised the cam cover! :roll:
Pretty trick stuff those blowers. I won't ask how you came across one.
Be interested to see the finished project. :-bd
Insanity over vanity
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Be interested to see the finished project.
That's two of us :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Finally got my van back :-bd Jeez - you could have read a Tolstoy novel in the time it's taken!

Being a Euro 6 compliant diesel vehicle it has an Ad-blue system. That went mammaries up in March and was replaced by the garage (a national dealership) under the extended warranty/service agreement that I pay a monthly fee for. No complaints there.

Come October and the engine warning light comes on, followed a day later by the Ad-blue light. Hmmm. Then the "Starting will be prevented in 700 miles" warning appears. Book it into the garage - "We are busy, the earliest date is 15th November". Oh well. Come the date, I drop it off only to get a phone call later that day "We can't access the ECU to determine what's gone wrong, it will have to go to a Peugeot dealership".

The van is a Peugeot Partner. Apart from the badges it's exactly the same as a Citroen Berlingo and a Vauxhall Combi, they are made in the same bloomin' factory! The garage is a Vauxhall dealership so presumably in March they just replaced the injector/pump without reading the diagnostics (but they managed to reset the warning system :???: ). The Peugeot/Citroen dealership was almost next door to them so they arranged for them to do the work. On 7th December! I.e. another three weeks. By this time I'm down to 200 miles before the system won't let me start it.

Dropped it off last Thursday - "We need to get authorisation from XXX that they will pay" and get a phone call later that day: "We've diagnosed the problem and ordered the parts and will do the work tomorrow". All well and good. Friday: "Your van has been fixed. We are just waiting for XXX to pay us and then you can pick it up".

Yesterday I rang up. "We are still waiting for the payment. Wait a moment and I'll check with head office... No, still not been paid." Ring the original garage - "I'll chase it up and get back to you" Of course they didn't so rang them again this morning. "Give me ten minutes and I'll see what's going on" Twenty minutes later. "All now sorted, you can pick your van up".

Total time has been seven weeks!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry