Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gecko76

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by gecko76 »

Sounds rough Mr Lip, but you played it well. Just back from mine, which was a cold one.
Headed out of town to a bit of community woodland on spec that was surprisingly bereft of trees. Made myself comfortable on a patch of frosty bracken, which was appreciated as the mat proceeded to deflate overnight.
Slept well, waking every hour or so to chart the progression of Sirius and reminisce about my first girlfriend (hey Jen).
Got down to about -2 but I was snug in my bag and reluctant to leave it this morning.
A flask of peppermint and licorice tea with a tot of last month's rum plus an eccles cake for breakfast and after defrosting the bike I was on my way.

11/12
Last edited by gecko76 on Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

Hello Gecko. Looks beautiful...................but bloomin' freezing! :shock: Can I just enquire about your bike and gear please? :geek:
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Sure; specifically? The bike was a Bamboo Bicycle Club homebuild, with subsequent modifications to increase tyre clearance to 40mm.

The bags are Rockbros from eBay, which the saddle bag was too originally but replaced with a Blackburn one with removable bag.

Winter sleeping bag is a Rab Ascent 700 with a Vango Aotrom Thermo mat and a basic pertex bivi bag. Plenty warm enough last night.
RIP

Post by RIP »

'Roadie'??? <makes sign of the cross> :wink: .

Nice to see some frost there. Water frozen by morning? All character-building stuff.

Commiserations with the gut-rot, 'Lip. I must say that's one of the main things that would upset a bivvy for me. Did you get to the bottom (arg, sorry, sorry... insensitive Reg, insensitive) of the cause, or just one of those things?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Water frozen by morning?
You know what, I didn't even check.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

BaM for November.

There was a frosty layer on the car as I left home at around seven o’clock, bound for a place I’d bivvied in my first year of BaM. Twelve miles of lanes later, I pitched my hammock on Larkton Hill, and found I’d forgotten to pack my tarp. Again! A dry night was forecast so it seemed a safe bet that I wouldn’t get wet.

View from bed…

Went to bed with a full stomach and 100ml of Captain Morgan’s and slept like a log.

View from bed in t’ morning. Sunrise over the Cheshire Plain…

I was too close to home to bother with breakfast, but hung around and had a cuppa and waited for the sun to paint the town red.

A swift pedal home, calling at the Nisa store for bread rolls and bacon to have for breakfast. I mean, there’s got to be a bacon butty on a BaM, right?

Finally, here’s my pilgrims clam shell that came with me on my Camino a couple of months ago…

11/12. One more to go for another year. :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Hyenas it said on the interpretation board I was hoping for Guinevere maybe there is a connection.
I went to the Forest of Dean last Tuesday for a ride with a friend and the intention was to head out for my November bivvy afterwards but it was such a grey day I went home instead . Friday came no work sunshine and a cold night perfect conditions I had decided I was going to head in the direction of Staunton and have a look at the Suck stone supposedly the biggest rock in the country I may have found it I am not sure but the views were amazing .
ImagePXL_20231124_153111982 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
It was starting to get cold and it was only 3ish so the second option seemed more attractive but first a very long decent into the Wye valley followed by a crossing of the Wye on the wire bridge to the Biblins campsite where I spent a week as a youngster on our school camp one of the few approved school activities that was great fun .
ImagePXL_20231125_083554702 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I had been told there was a shelter there so had an explore in case I needed a bail out option and what a shelter it was but a very early start would be needed as it is a very popular spot with the dog walkers . It was very cold down by the river so a nice long climb warmed me up.The aforementioned interpretation board said the place I was looking for was only a short distance away and there was still some daylight left after a great deal of searching and too much turning left I arrived back at the interpretation board in the dark ? A couple turned up with their dog so I asked them " it's just down the track round to the right left a bit right a bit and its there" and they were right .
What a fantastic place it was King Aurthurs cave.
ImagePXL_20231124_172040495 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImagePXL_20231125_072429583 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImagePXL_20231125_072602666 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
In bed at 8 with a nice starry sky owls and unfortunately the A40 for company I listened to the radio slept and got up around 7 dry and relatively warm, beyond the trees it looked a bit colder .
ImagePXL_20231125_081309382 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Breakfast and just away as the first dog walker appeared for a cold but glorious ride back across the river and on through the forest to Dean Forest Cycles their woodburner and excellent coffee .
ImagePXL_20231125_083600041 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

11/12 for this year
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Looks lovely, that. Can feel the chill from the pics though!
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

RIP wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:42 pm 'Roadie'??? <makes sign of the cross> :wink: .

Nice to see some frost there. Water frozen by morning? All character-building stuff.

Commiserations with the gut-rot, 'Lip. I must say that's one of the main things that would upset a bivvy for me. Did you get to the bottom (arg, sorry, sorry... insensitive Reg, insensitive) of the cause, or just one of those things?
:lol: Tbh, the missus and lad had the same but a good week before. I honestly thought I'd avoided it and felt fine until waking in the night. I've actually been done with it before years ago on a hiking wild camp in't Lakes...much worse with the hike back being very difficult and the fact I'd drove..not pretty.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I got November’s bivvy ticked off at the end of last week (24th-25th), the second month in succession where I decided to revisit a site I’d used three years ago. On this occasion the spot in question was on an estate in East Lothian. Among the organised activities on offer there is clay pigeon shooting. Handily, the wet weather shelter immediately to the rear of the shooting stands has three sides, a roof, a table and a bench plus two picnic tables right next to it. All mod cons and no need for a tarp. :-bd

The forecast was for a dry but cold and windy night and in truth I wasn’t in any great hurry to head out into the darkness. Anyway, a couple of beers and some nibbles were demanding my immediate attention and who was I to argue? I couldn’t put my departure off indefinitely, though, and I finally headed out at 6.30 pm. The forecasters hadn’t been exaggerating and it took me a little while to get warmed up. Fortunately, the biting wind was behind me so it could’ve been worse.

I set off eastwards along the coast mostly on road, then turned inland on to dirt/gravel tracks. I entered the estate after a total of 18 miles and, not wishing to advertise my presence, I turned my lights off and was soon at the shelter.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

The temperature had dropped significantly but I soon got my warm gear on, my sleeping kit laid out and had some hot food on the go. The Met Office was stating of a temperature of -1 C and it certainly felt like it. I did manage to get a decent night’s rest though.

I awoke in the morning to find a layer of frost on the nearby grass and I was tempted to lie in a bit longer. However, it being a Saturday, I knew there was a good chance a clay pigeon session might be planned for the day. I therefore packed up everything except my brew kit and when shortly afterwards I heard the motor of an ATV heading my way, I wasn’t overly concerned about any disapproving looks or words being directed towards me. In the event, the ATV driver, a young member of the estate staff, was just coming to set up the log burner and the various clay pigeon traps for guests arriving later.

“Good morning. I’m just getting a hot drink on the go. I'll be out of your way shortly”, was my opening gambit. He was friendly and happy to chat for a bit and, since he didn’t ask if I’d slept there overnight (not that he even cared, I imagine), I didn’t see the need to volunteer that info.

Once fully packed I mounted up and rolled homewards along the former Pencaitland Railway gravel track. It was a cold but sunny morning but things did warm up slightly as the sun climbed a bit higher.

That’s 11 from 11 in ‘23, making 71 consecutive BAMs.
Last edited by JimmyG on Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

JimmyG wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:00 pm I got November’s bivvy ticked off at the end of last week (24th-25th), the second month in succession where I decided to revisit a site I’d used three years ago. On this occasion the spot in question was on an estate in East Lothian. Among the organised activities on offer there is clay pigeon shooting. Handily, the wet weather shelter immediately to the rear of the shooting stands has three sides, a roof, a table and a bench plus two picnic tables right next to it. All mod cons and no need for a tarp. :-bd

The forecast was for a dry but cold and windy night and in truth I wasn’t in any great hurry to head out into the darkness. Anyway, a couple of beers and some nibbles were demanding my immediate attention and who was I to argue? I couldn’t put my departure off indefinitely, though, and I finally headed out at 6.30 pm. The forecasters hadn’t been exaggerating and it took me a little while to get warmed up. Fortunately, the biting wind was behind me so it could’ve been worse.

I set off eastwards along the coast mostly on road, then turned inland on to dirt/gravel tracks. I entered the estate after a total of 18 miles and, not wishing to advertise my presence, I turned my lights off and was soon at the shelter.

The temperature had dropped significantly but I soon got my warm gear on, my sleeping kit laid out and had some hot food on the go. The Met Office was stating of a temperature of -1 C and it certainly felt like it. I did manage to get a decent night’s rest though.

I awoke in the morning to find a layer of frost on the nearby grass and I was tempted to lie in a bit longer. However, it being a Saturday, I knew there was a good chance a clay pigeon session might be planned for the day. I therefore packed up everything except my brew kit and when shortly afterwards I heard the motor of an ATV heading my way, I wasn’t overly concerned about any disapproving looks or words being directed at me. In the event, the ATV driver, a young member of the estate staff, was just coming to set up the log burner and the various clay pigeon traps for guests later.

“Good morning. I’m just getting a hot drink on the go. I'll be out of your way shortly”, was my opening gambit. He was friendly and happy to chat for a bit and, since he didn’t ask if I’d slept there overnight, I didn’t see the need to volunteer that info.

Once fully packed I mounted up and rolled homewards along the former Pencaitland Railway gravel track. It was a cold but sunny morning but things did warm up slightly as the sun climbed a bit higher.

That’s 11 from 11 in ‘23, making 71 consecutive BAMs.
What a spot :-bd
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Yep, it’s a belter right enough :grin:
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Boab

Post by Boab »

FFS! Was planning on getting out tonight, but had zero sleep last night, and appear to be coming down with a throat infection. This is after being on-call for a week, and then having a mystery virus for a week... 😞
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

November done. I had plans, lots of them but two weeks ago I came down with a cough which has still not gone away. I feel ok and it is usually a problem late evening or when I go to bed and lie down. Raising my back helps. Anyway with the clock ticking I set off yesterday afternoon to a birdhide I have used before. It is all enclosed and with plenty of warm clothing hoped all would be good. The ride was about 23 miles and the hide overlooks a small lake, or is it a big pond?

I had a freeze dried meal, hot chocolate, a Bounty, mint tea and whisky and read a biography of Seigfried Sassoon. I struggled to sleep and started coughing about midnight but a few minutes sitting up solved this and then I slept and dozed until 0650 when I packed up, had some breakfast and then headed into Ashby to the Tesco for more refuelling. Lovely sunny ride home along NCN6.

11/12 and a run of 23 months.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0MaCYZolbJ/?img_index=1
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

@Boab that's really unfortunate. What's your work pattern the rest of the week? Can you cosy up somewhere close with a flask of lemsip, suitably fortified?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye we all do 'placeholders' when life gets in the way. Nearest wood? Graveyard? Barn? Good luck with it Bob. Shame to miss one.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Boab

Post by Boab »

RIP wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:26 pm Aye we all do 'placeholders' when life gets in the way. Nearest wood? Graveyard? Barn? Good luck with it Bob. Shame to miss one.
gecko76 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:50 pm @Boab that's really unfortunate. What's your work pattern the rest of the week? Can you cosy up somewhere close with a flask of lemsip, suitably fortified?
The original plan was an open sided barn two and a half hours away. While I actually managed to sleep last night, it was drug induced, and I think another night of that might be a good idea. I've never bivvied in the same location twice, but there is a local open sided barn, only a few KM away, that I've used before. My old Rab Atlas 800 and the Wild Rover fleece liner should mean I can survive the expected -5°C on Thursday night. We'll see...
frogatthefarriers

Boab wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:01 pm The original plan was an open sided barn two and a half hours away. While I actually managed to sleep last night, it was drug induced, and I think another night of that might be a good idea. I've never bivvied in the same location twice, but there is a local open sided barn, only a few KM away, that I've used before. My old Rab Atlas 800 and the Wild Rover fleece liner should mean I can survive the expected -5°C on Thursday night. We'll see...
Needs must, when the devil drives…. A placeholder is acceptable - I’ve had a few over the years, the nearest being just a half mile from home on a first ride after cracking my pelvis and another after a heart attack. That’s not forgetting the garden BaMs during lockdowns.
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and I'm out. Could barely stand-up last night, so thought it was a bit much to attempt to ride a bike. 😞
Roll on next year.
josh

Post by josh »

This month's BAM was neither when, or where it was originally planned to be. As it was, I left home after work, in the dark, with the temperature already down to a solid 0ºC. I rode at a much slower pace than normal, to stop me getting too warm from pedaling while simultaneously getting cold from the wind.

I rode for about an hour to a local indoor bouldering centre and spent a couple of hours climbing there before heading back out to find a place to sleep. I had a spot in mind that was between home and the bouldering place, but in reality it proved too close to a busy A road to be any good. So, instead I rode almost all the way back home, past the turning that would have taken me all the way home and kept going for another 10 minutes to the same spot as last month.

I'm happy I chose not to put up with the road noise as my 'regular' spot was basically silent – with only the rustling of nearby deer to be heard (and fighting deer or something in the middle of the night, which was a little worrying).

It felt bonkers to be not only riding to/from somewhere most people would drive, even it wasn't around freezing, but to ride basically past my house, to sleep in a field, knowing it would get to negative single digits overnight.

It was fairly late by the time I leisurely got all my kit set out and into my sleeping bags (yes, bags – I'd layered a thinner summer bag inside a 3 season bag in lieu of a proper winter bag). The moon was bright and the air was biting.

Everything went in a rucksack, just.

Once snugged up, I was almost too warm, but knew the temperature was due to drop further. I was grateful for my Thermarest NeoAir XTherm, helping to bolster my sleeping arrangements in this weather.

As is standard for me, I woke quite a few times, but felt more comfortable in the bivvy bag this time than the tent I'd used previously – perhaps oddly, I feel more exposed behind two layers of fabric & zips, not able to see out.

The temperature hit a low before dawn, so I woke ever so slightly the wrong side of comfortable, but perfectly acceptable. I quickly warmed up as I faffed around in the moonlight packing.

Frosty

I'd set up the night before using the moonlight too – only turning a light on to take a couple of photos and to check I hadn't left anything behind when leaving.

A short roll down and a couple of short walks up and I was home in time to defrost the car for my wife.

My enthusiasm has been low for BAM recently, but I never return having wished I hadn't gone – I've always either actually enjoyed it, or learned something for longer/bigger trips, found somewhere new, or just got a good laugh from the utterly bemused reactions from people when they find out "you did what!? It was minus X last night! You're mad."
Verena

Post by Verena »

Boab wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:30 pm ... and I'm out. Could barely stand-up last night, so thought it was a bit much to attempt to ride a bike. 😞
Roll on next year.
O Noooooooo!!!! Such a shame!! But yes roll on many more months to come.... and most importantly, get better soon!!
Verena

Post by Verena »

Love it Josh!!

I think it's that "bonkers" element that totally does it for me, nearly every time, as most of mine are just very local and mid week.

Brilliant to have caught one of those really cold nights :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Verena wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:11 pm
Boab wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:30 pm ... and I'm out. Could barely stand-up last night, so thought it was a bit much to attempt to ride a bike. 😞
Roll on next year.
O Noooooooo!!!! Such a shame!! But yes roll on many more months to come.... and most importantly, get better soon!!
Yeah, ditto this - get well soon!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:11 pm
Roll on next year.
:sad: :sad: ahh.. commiserations... so near... but indeed next year is, well, next year

frogatthefarriers

Last BaM for 2023. Coinciding with Global Fatbike Day.

I'd wanted to make more of an effort, but I was working nights last night and didn't get out of bed early enough, so the Fatty was hastily loaded and I set off mid-afternoon to bivvy in a spot I've had in my sights for a good while.

Arrived after dark, set up, ate my tea and went to bed. Didn’t sleep well - never do after night shifts. It was bloody cold and the wind gusty enough to make me fear for my shelter but it suddenly died down after an hour or two, thank goodness.

Fatty overlooking Llangollen...

Bivvy….

View from bed…

Bivvy with Dinas Brân standing in a cloud inversion…

And the Vale of Llangollen….

I had thought to ride across the mountain for breakfast at Llandegla Forest but I’d sent a brag-photo to my daughter living in Llangollen,(“Look at me - bivvying out here in this weather”) but she invited me to hers for artisan sourdough, fancy cheeses and cold meats,so that’s where I went.

So another BaM-year done. Another year awaits.
Last edited by frogatthefarriers on Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.