Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Boab »

Feeling like I'm starting to get over a virus that's semi-flattened me for the last week.
Didn't spend any money today either.

Capitalist madness...
https://bfcm.stripe.dev/
https://bfcm.shopify.com/
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cheery enough. Barn floor now dug out and awaiting concrete. The lone socket in there (why one?) now has another seven friends (with another eight coming shortly) and I've changed the two p1ss poor lights for a fine array of LED replacements .... and it's not rained :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Cheery coz I'm in my hammock BaM-ing for December. I've still got a couple of slurps of Captain Morgans and I can go to sleep looking at the stars through the trees. Less cheery because I can see the stars, because I've forgotten my tarp again. Doh!
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

...and you're a bit early for December?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Depends how long they sleep for
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just be careful it's not forever, in these temperatures!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
frogatthefarriers

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:09 pm ...and you're a bit early for December?
On yeah, so it is. Today's even cheerier then, because theres still another four weeks 'til Christmas.

Have a picture from my bed…

Last edited by frogatthefarriers on Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Actually, Lu, one of the advantages of these temperatures is you could do a re-enactment of the famous 'watertrough' bivvy and be guaranteed not to get an accidental dunking because it would be frozen!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

frogatthefarriers

RIP wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:44 pm Just be careful it's not forever, in these temperatures!
There was a bit of ice on the puddles, yes, but only -1 on our wall thermometer in the garden when I got home. I was too warm, with an Alpkit cloud cover inside my Cumulus 350 and UK hammocks underquilt. I had to uncover in the night.
frogatthefarriers

RIP wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:46 pm Actually, Lu, one of the advantages of these temperatures is you could do a re-enactment of the famous 'watertrough' bivvy and be guaranteed not to get an accidental dunking because it would be frozen!
There’s a thought. Hmm. I think I'd need better insulation to prevent me from melting a hole underneath.
psling

Post by psling »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:46 pm
Bearlegged wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:09 pm ...and you're a bit early for December?
On yeah, so it is....
Ah, the joys of being retired :cool: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Christmas tree up and outside decorations in full flashing mode too :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think I went past your house earlier, Voo. Is it this one?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Christmas tree up and outside decorations in full flashing mode too
.... but it's still November.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

That’s the one Reg, should have popped in for a cuppa and warmed yourself up next to the plug sockets :lol:
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:54 pm
So it is!

I like to get my monies worth and there’s only 4 Tuesdays to go until Christmas :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Like the.day with the family but the buildup is ridiculous and getting worse (and earlier.)
RIP

Post by RIP »

No no, he just hasn't taken it all down since last Christmas!

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

RIP wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:23 pm
No no, he just hasn't taken it all down since last Christmas!
Some truth in that :lol: Indid leave one set up in the tree last year and they came on for special occasions :-bd
Lazarus wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:32 pm Like the.day with the family but the buildup is ridiculous and getting worse (and earlier.)
It may sound strange but I like it the other way around. Quite enjoy the build up, buying presents, visiting Santa etc etc, but I find socialing on Christmas Day incredibly stressful (and the days following whereby I have to see people I only see once a year!).

Previous years I have cooked for both sets of families and I find it quite relaxing being in the kitchen out of everyone’s way :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Saturday marked the tenth anniversary of having my hip replaced :-bd

Celebrated by trying to fix my mother-in-law's vacuum cleaner :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Verena

Post by Verena »

Early I know, but not just one, two, or even three things to be cheery about - four at the last count!!!

Last opencast coal mine in UK closing today https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67564413 :-bd

Got paid my annual pay award, backdated and paid in one nice lump sum today :-bd

It's that most smug time of year, when I woke to the sound (and smell!!) through the open bedroom window of various neighbours leaving their cars running on idle on their drives (isn't that illegal now???) to deice them. Anticipating my daughter bursting into the room at just before seven to get me to move my car out of the way, then panicking as she's running late, and noticing too late that it's all iced up, I had that satisfying moment that only electric car drivers have, of reaching for my phone, opening and tapping the app to prewarm the car, then rolled over back under the covers and went back to sleep :-bd (no ice scraping or filthy fumes required...)

And last not least, I am being taken out to play by the kids tomorrow night!! Literally the kids, daughter and her friends want to invite me along to this https://www.theplayzone.co.uk/home-swan ... t-swansea/ - how that ever got passed by any licencing or risk assessment will forever be beyond me!!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

All nicely cheery there V, although it appears a 'ball pit' isn't what I thought.

In the spirit of early ... after the sad demise of Cranked magazine, I was asked where I'd vent my notions, ideas and other things that whirl round in my head. Well, I have a new gig in the form of a monthly column in Back Street Heroes magazine. I thought the name was apt and provides plenty of scope for upsetting folk :-bd

RIP

Post by RIP »

As opposed to devil's Advocaat, which is a very unpleasant garishly yellow drink that my nan used to "enjoy" at Christmas.

Fairly cheery here. Transpires that my good mate Jezzer has only got low-level prostate cancer which they're just going to "monitor" (I think I'd want the bloody thing zapped pronto but there we go). Also my right eye still seems to function after two hours of scary laser spot-welding of three difficultly-positioned retina tears on Monday - good old Stoke Mandeville. A "miracle" that we caught them after a random eye test the previous Friday, because they can go "full retina detachment" after only a matter of hours and that's often "game over" for that eye. Possibly less cheery is going to see brother-in-law tomorrow who's about to have open-heart surgery with new valve and three veins swapped and de-coked. Bodies. Who'd have them eh.

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Snow!

That is all.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Happy Friday everyone.
This has just been making me chuckle:
https://jonn.substack.com/p/the-swedish ... -christmas
faustus

Post by faustus »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:27 am Snow!

That is all.
Great picture thenorthwind! I'm happy today as it's the first time in at least 3 weeks when I've felt pretty much well. Had a stinker of a chest infection that wouldn't move until I got an our of hours doctor and a round of antibiotics last weekend. Not been on a ride in weeks, and I normally love cold and crisp weather for riding. Maybe a gentle pootle today :-bd