Whats your trouser of choice?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Whats your trouser of choice?

Post by FLV »

A decent while ago, i asked what peoples fave shorts were and got great answers that me happy in my shorts choice to this day.

So, as its a bit wintery i thought id ask those who ride in trousers / pants what their favourites are.

Cheers
Bearlegged

Re: Whats your trouser of choice?

Post by Bearlegged »

If you don't need waterproof, these are fine:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-wat ... R-p-309674
The arse and shin areas are water repellent (at best).

The half length fly zip reduces bunching. Does mean you need to pull the waistband down a bit if you want to pee.
Two sets of poppers on the main body of the trousers, plus one set on the flap that covers the fly. This allows for a bit of adjustment.
The fabric is stretchy too. I wouldn't say they have masses of adjustment, but they're not fixed when it comes to waist tension.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I tend to wear trouser for most of the year, so....

In the past I've used the Gore (I think either) R3 or R5 trousers. There're basically designed for running but found them great for summer due to its very lightweight material. However the backside didn't last long due to riding a bike!
Then moved onto the Gore C5 trousers, excellent and had them for over 5 years now and still going strong.
Last January I bought a pair of 45NRTH Naughtvind trousers. These are in a league of their own* specifically during colder winter days have proved to be a very tough quality pair of cycling trousers. I bought them from Bike24 with no issues at all. :-bd

*in my opinion
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Al

Post by Al »

I'm a recent convert to MTB trousers for riding.

Had some Madison zenith but moved them in after a couple of rides - found them too loose and a bit short for tall and skinny build.

Got some endura mt500 burner and very happy. Nice fit and plenty of leg length.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I've always thought what a great word 'trouser' is, as opposed to 'trousers'. Bit more Victorian perhaps, or posh. Speaking of which, how about some plus fours? :smile:

Being contrary Reg, in the same way that I've given up wearing undercrackers with shorts (as per our main man), if it's raining in summer I replace shorts with thin bamboo base leggings and Goretex overtrouser(s).

To answer the question, in winter I don't wear short(s) or trouser(s) at all, just thick 'brushed' thermal leggings (£10 a go) - much lighter. Then add the overtrouser(s) if it rains.

So, one word answer: none.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
FLV

Post by FLV »

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:07 am So, one word answer: none.
Very 'Whinnie the Pooh'

When I was riding a lot more, I got used to not wearing a chamois and the elimination of this eliminated most sore bum issues I'd experienced in the past :grin:

Hoping to follow that up in the colder months, so I think I will stick with some sort of trouser (I also enjoy the word in this form)

Thanks so far everyone, I am looking into those mentioned.
ton

Post by ton »

i have been using Keela roadrunner trousers for years.
very tough, and stretchy and dry very quickly.

but recently been using some of these from Decathlon. and the seem very good. again stretchy and dry quickly.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-wat ... 023&c=grey
samwise

Post by samwise »

ton wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:24 am i have been using Keela roadrunner trousers for years.
+1 for Roadrunners.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Stolen Goat ( expensi e but like their kit and a good company) kiko bibs warm, feel like normal bibs/ material and pretty much waterproof*( not cheap though) and bottom of legs can go over my winter boots to stop ingress there

* deluge needed and even then you get a bit damp not soaked and I wear hard shell trousers. Army surplus or alpkit ones carried whe bikepacking
Last edited by Lazarus on Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If you're tall and don't have the required waist size that most companies assume you have, then finding MTB trousers is tough

My two recommendations are keela roadrunners and the alpkit floe, both of which are available in a long leg length. The floes fit better with knee pads than the keelas. The keelas are better normal cycling trousers, they're like a pair of slim fitting stretchy outdoorsy trousers
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Endura humvees for me - got them in 2019 and still going strong. I ended up buying another pair as they were £35 for use when these fall apart.
Leg length is OK, just, for my 33" pins. Not waterproof at all but quick drying, OK down to freezing and comfy for some long days with bam boxers underneath.

I do like the look of the Keela ones though and the factory shop is local so may end up with a pair at some point.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The decathlon ones are good for the money, the Crikey, how much ones are great if you can catch a sale (like now). There was also mention on STW that Altura have their Esker trews for £37 and Planet X have the On-Ones in the sale (they look to have decent pockets, etc.) and you can bundle them with some trail shorts for only a fiver extra so under £60 for both.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Endura humvees for me - got them in 2019 and still going strong. I ended up buying another pair as they were £35 for use when these fall apart.
Leg length is OK, just, for my 33" pins. Not waterproof at all but quick drying, OK down to freezing and comfy for some long days with bam boxers underneath.

I do like the look of the Keela ones though and the factory shop is local so may end up with a pair at some point.
A secret about the Humvees is that you pull that chamoise liner ouy whilst it's still brandnew and flog it on ebay. About £15 it fetches which ends up the trousers having cost only £20 :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Endura Singletracks for me Dave. But harder to find on offer nowadays. My next trouaers will probably be the Endura 500 mentioned above. Always heard hood reports about the proofing and comfort/breathability.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Aldi "adventure trousers", on sale a few months ago. Black, stretchy, windproof, quick-drying and cheap enough (£13) not to worry about trashing them. And they fit :-bd .

Or if the weather's really gopping: waterproof shorts, Gore-Tex gaiters and walking boots.
May you always have tail wind.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

OT but have you the link to the shorts thread?

I still prefer waterproof shorts worn over either fleecy knee length bibs or if it's proper grim full length bibs. My legs like the ventilation, they say, and the shins rarely feel cold apparently.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Tend to wear another variation of the Decathlon trouser. The cycling fit of the ones above are probably better, but these are lightweight and quick drying.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-hik ... R-p-325496

I just change what's underneath depending on the temperature. From just merino boxers, to thermal bib leggings when it's very chilly. The ankles cinch down so never get in the way, and they seem very hardwearing. Only downside of being non-cycling specific is the rear waist is a bit low.
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

The Decathlon ones mentioned are excellent-only caveat is the slightly weird sizing which means I had to size up! :shock:
I also have a pair of Madison Roam trousers which have a DWR coating- I got mine in a flash sale on CycleStore for about 20 quid.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I've been really impressed with RAB Crank pants. Expensive, but can't fault them. Not waterproof, but just did a long weekend in the Cairngorms with bib longs underneath. Very comfy on their own when warmer.