Contents / bike cover for many, many bikes..

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

flash

Contents / bike cover for many, many bikes..

Post by flash »

My contents insurance with LV renewal has almost doubled.
Is there a company that does normal contents insurance that will also cover multiple/ frequently changing bikes (currently about 18) mostly cheap but with a few worth about £1000? I’m trying not to have to list each bike individually….
Ta…
Hyppy

Re: Contents / bike cover for many, many bikes..

Post by Hyppy »

I don't recall the exact details of what I set up and just pay the premium each year now, but NFU Mutual worked well when I was in a similar situation. I recall them determining there was no need to list each individually when talking through my requirements.

I had previously avoided them on recollection of them taking somewhat of an anti-cyclist stance in some case or other that made the news, but cost and decent customer service won out over my principles that time round.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I took a specific cycle policy with Barclays.
You set a value for the most expensive bike and pay based on that. All less expensive bikes are covered.

Was about £70 for £5k.

Much cheaper than any other way of doing it
samwise

Post by samwise »

We have home and contents insurance with Nationwide. They cover bikes ( inc away from home) up to £1000, or higher for individually listed bikes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ours is through Swinton. For contents cover we only have to list bikes above £2000 in value. Total contents cover is £80k with high value items (i.e. bikes) limited to £24k. Can't find the actual underwriter. The bike cover is for new replacement not current value. I've just been looking at the schedule and it doesn't split the premium into building and contents parts so can't say what the premium for just the latter is.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Ours is with A-Plan (now Howden appaarently).

I have to list all bikes, but i just tell them what it is, when I add one, and what the value is.

A recent bike build of an 2001 Cannondale Headshok F&F into a 'gravel' bike, which cost £1,000 in parts to build, was insured for an extra £11.00 on the annual premium.

Bikes are insured away from home if locked up. I've not changed bikes mid-year,so don't know if there's an admin charge for adding/ removing bikes mid-year.
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
flash

Post by flash »

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have 18+ bikes and they can change on a weekly basis so listing them individually is a pain.
Churchill is looking promising.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Related, don't ever get a house with a detached garage. Because it's treated as an "outbuilding" it's a major, major pain in the arse to get a home insurance policy that'll cover bikes stored there for any sort of decent amount. I doubt most people would know as they've probably got better things to do than get into the weeds of the terms and conditions. :ugeek:

Very frustrating.