Salsa Warroad owners….

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tomwoodbury

Salsa Warroad owners….

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Any recommendations on mudguards you are using please?

I’m running 700 x 32c tyres

Cheers
Lazarus

Re: Salsa Warroad owners….

Post by Lazarus »

WarBIRD owber
Don they come with the bolt holes for proper mudguards ? Warbird does but mine are seized up so currently

SKS Speedrocker bomb proof but might be a bit wide??? [ work off road with my 44mms and use 35 mm ish road for commuting in winter

Have also used / do use in summer Crud Road Racer with 28 mm tyres they are a faff even with them and often rub as pretty flimsy but very light and easy to remove.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

They apparently can take proper guards with the “provided mounting hardware” which I will have in the garage somewhere.

Lazy me thought I’d ask for first hand experience before I go and suss out how they fit on.

Cheers
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Should be some Allen key bolt at bottom.of each fork(rear) and seat stays and one by bottom bracket (.rear) then some.screw in hoops meaning all mudguard types will fit.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

No idea, not running mudguards on it, that's what the Cotic Escapade is for :)

But yes, there is a mounting kit for a full set of real guards. I flit between 650b and 700c on mine over, so that's the main reason I've not fitted any.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I’ve not actually ridden my one further than 10 miles since I bought it….. thinking some guards will stop it collecting dust until the spring.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’ve spent all week (maybe a forum career?!) contributing nothing but unhelpful advice this week, so might as well carry on…

No mudguards for me either, just put up with a muddy or soapy bum but I only ride solo and most rides on it take in off road. Was thinking of those ass saver win wings to keep some of me.

Running 650b x 47mm, so not a lot of room either for guards (I don’t think)

Anyways, what’s with all the low mileage on the bike? Flippin’ love mine, it’s my most used bike
Attachments
CE496909-48D4-42F5-82CB-136FD8E1B92F.jpeg
CE496909-48D4-42F5-82CB-136FD8E1B92F.jpeg (238.77 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Well I bought one of the cheap ones from Lyon and planned to use my fancy stans carbon wheelset with it with 38c tyres but they didn’t fit. I tried it with 650b but those wheels are now on my Fairlight Faran.

Also I’ve been meaning to swap the 11-32 cassette for an 11-36 with my wolftooth road link - so the narrow tyres and road gearing have meant it’s the Fairlight I pick when I’m heading out most of the time!

Also not totally convinced it’s the right size. I’m
173cm and bought a 54.5 but it’s a lot more compact compared to my other bikes
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Also not totally convinced it’s the right size. I’m
173cm and bought a 54.5 but it’s a lot more compact compared to my other bikes
I’m 170ish and got the same size, it’s a biggest frame I’ve had and it fits well, think they run a little small (I’d normally opt for 52cm or so). That’s a shame if you think you’ve got the wrong size frame as otherwise they were a bargain from Lyon.

I do like the look of the Fairlight, only seen one in the flesh and it’s looked great :-bd

As a side note, I’ve found with the 650b wheels the Salsa is a great, much more versatile than the Salsa blurb gives the bike credit for
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I did head out on it with 650b wheels on in the new forest in the summer. Was 45mins in when I realised I’d left my water bottles in the car. I sped back as fast as I could and ended up having a crash in the car park on a huge pothole. Cut myself up pretty badly.

Since then the wheels have gone on the Faran, and I put my posh wheels on the Warroad for road rides.

Sounds like I need some posh 650b as the Warroad did ride very nice on gravel with the 650s.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Sounds pretty tight clearances for an allroad bike; my 'pure' road bike Mason Definition clears 700x32 and mudguards with plenty of room.

Maybe try a roadie-lemgth stem (110-130mm) if you're going full winter road setup and it feels a bit compact?
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Yeah it’s a bit odd really. Most bikes that can take a 650 x 47 have better 700c clearance than this. They claim the maximum is 36c I think. But I couldn’t fit a Vittoria Terreno something 38c in there.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It is definitely more road than pure gravel. Was always supposed to be that way.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Warbird is 44 mm rear front would take bigger in 700c no idea about 650b