Sleeper Train Question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

samwise

Sleeper Train Question

Post by samwise »

Hi Folks,

3 of us planning to get the sleeper up to Inverness early next year.

Wondering if the following money saving exercise is possible and if anyone has ever tried it..... :ugeek:

Book a classic room with 2 bunks for 2 people, book a seat for person number 3. Person number 3 sleeps on the floor of the room with their camping gear. A squeeze I'm sure....

Cheers,
Sam
RIP

Re: Sleeper Train Question

Post by RIP »

No helpful advice Sam, apologies. The conductor might be intrigued by the extra person when he brought the tea and biscuits in the morning though :smile: .

However it does remind me of the "Inside No 9" episode "La Couchette", when one of them got murdered, so best be careful when choosing your sleeper companions!

Also reminds me of the time two mates and I were "bikepacking", as we imagined it at time, and one night they booked a Travelodge as a "treat". They went in through the front entrance and into their room. After they opened the window, I sneaked round the back and climbed in. Left my bivvy gear on the floor, we got ready to go out to the pub, then all left together via the front door just as a police car screamed up to the entrance; policemen got out and demanded to know if we'd seen any suspicious character skulking around! No officers, but do you know any good pubs nearby? I think that set the pattern for my continued bikepacking career......
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

At the risk of de-railing (thanks, I’m here all day) the thread, that inside no 9 episode was brilliant, one of my favourites!

Back on track ( :o ), the man in seat 61 may be helpful
https://www.seat61.com/index-mobile.htm

I see he’s got a twitter site etc, so maybe able to ask there too
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Charliecres of this parish has used the sleeper a few times for cairngorms Bikepacking trips, try him for advice.
samwise

Post by samwise »

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:35 pm No helpful advice Sam, apologies. The conductor might be intrigued by the extra person when he brought the tea and biscuits in the morning though :smile: .
I guess there is only one way to find out..... :|
RIP

Post by RIP »

samwise wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:22 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:35 pm No helpful advice Sam, apologies. The conductor might be intrigued by the extra person when he brought the tea and biscuits in the morning though :smile: .
I guess there is only one way to find out..... :|
What's the worst they can do? (*)

(*) standing on Carstairs station in your pyjamas at 3am with no other possessions hopefully wouldn't be as bad as it sounds..... (**)

(**) actually, it would be wouldn't it (***)

(***) no disrespect to Carstairs obviously. Lovely place, lovely place...
Last edited by RIP on Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:43 pm What's the worst they can do?
Withhold biscuits? :shock:
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I am not sure it is always easy to get from the seated carriage into the rest of the train… you have to get into and beyond the dining car. Seated passengers aren’t normally given access to the dining car… I may be wrong though.

Also… cheaper to get three seats. Get a two+together rail card for two of you to make it cheaper.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

As said above, there’s an apartheid system for seated and cabin passengers and staff can be quite sniffy about it. People do stretch out on the floor in the seated carriages when the train’s not busy. I always just make do with a seat since the old “bargain berths” disappeared. It’s possible to get a reasonable sleep but take something to use as a pillow and a quilt or sleeping bag
samwise

Post by samwise »

Charliecres wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:00 am As said above, there’s an apartheid system for seated and cabin passengers and staff can be quite sniffy about it. People do stretch out on the floor in the seated carriages when the train’s not busy. I always just make do with a seat since the old “bargain berths” disappeared. It’s possible to get a reasonable sleep but take something to use as a pillow and a quilt or sleeping bag
The main reason for asking is previous experience with bad nights sleep on the seats in a busy carriage!

Thanks for the info :-bd