Lakeland 200 ITT

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alexinthepeaks

Lakeland 200 ITT

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Just came across this great video documantary on the LL200

https://youtu.be/A4vmiFGy4aU?si=pLHrNBWsTK6OkX0T

Looks like the record still stands....tempted to have a crack in early summer!
redefined_cycles

Re: Lakeland 200 ITT

Post by redefined_cycles »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:51 pm Just came across this great video documantary on the LL200

https://youtu.be/A4vmiFGy4aU?si=pLHrNBWsTK6OkX0T

Looks like the record still stands....tempted to have a crack in early summer!
I got that sent me earlier from my mate Faruq from Bristol. Didn't finish watching it but had wondered whether it was yourself that had recently broken the record Alex and maybe forgotten to update them at the FKT website! :-bd
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Nah, i got the LL300 record: https://www.strava.com/activities/9153605176

But this is ripe for the picking in summer with a bit of training! (fighting talk)...
Incidently the self supported website has not updated with my time despite emailing them a couple of times! meh....

Its still showing Chris Hopes time of 21h 37min vs my 19h 54min.

https://www.selfsupporteduk.net/lakeland300
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The selfsupported site was redesigned a couple of years ago but hasn’t been updated for a while. Not sure if Steve is still in charge of it since most of the updates were done by Colin (Scotroutes) who seems to have disappeared from the scene as I’ve not seen any posts from him on any of the forums he used to frequent for a while.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:18 am Nah, i got the LL300 record: https://www.strava.com/activities/9153605176

But this is ripe for the picking in summer with a bit of training! (fighting talk)...
Incidently the self supported website has not updated with my time despite emailing them a couple of times! meh....

Looking forward to it Alex... You got this :-bd
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

I'm never gonna be at the top of any FKT table, so no skin of my nose but something something film crew and self supported? :wink:
redefined_cycles

Hyppy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:57 pm I'm never gonna be at the top of any FKT table, so no skin of my nose but something something film crew and self supported? :wink:
I don't think the FKT has any problems with film crew and self supported... It's just go as fast as you can on your own steam. I believe Beaumont when he went for the Highlands500 (the road version, forget the name) FKT had a full support crew including people keeping an eye on his calories and bloods etc... Same with the chaps that attempt the LeJOG FKT :-bd
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:20 pm
Hyppy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:57 pm I'm never gonna be at the top of any FKT table, so no skin of my nose but something something film crew and self supported? :wink:
I don't think the FKT has any problems with film crew and self supported... It's just go as fast as you can on your own steam. I believe Beaumont when he went for the Highlands500 (the road version, forget the name) FKT had a full support crew including people keeping an eye on his calories and bloods etc... Same with the chaps that attempt the LeJOG FKT :-bd
Oh, I'm only sh1t-stirring, and playing into the ongoing debate as to whether having a film crew en route and/or following along gives an unfair advantage. :-)
redefined_cycles

:lol: Well, you'd have to bring in the ethics of that film crew having a nic3 little fire away from civilisation and without charring (is that the word) the ground.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Hyppy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:25 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:20 pm
Oh, I'm only sh1t-stirring, and playing into the ongoing debate as to whether having a film crew en route and/or following along gives an unfair advantage. :-)
I did think this, but (spoiler alert) since he didnt get it, its doesnt really matter!
I can tell you now that if during my 300ITT attempt i had a film crew dotted around the route, it would be a huge mental lift and security blanket which would potentially offer a gain. Or perhaps playing devils advocate it was actually a hindrance and he pushed to hard resulting in the puncture. When i completed the 300ITT, I drove to the lakes alone, rode it alone and finished it alone, thats how it should be done in my humble opinion - after all its an "individual time trial".
I guess this is what happens when sponsors get involved, if they give you a bike they expect somethijng back. The advantage of being a privateer means no ties to sponsors and you can do what you like - albeit is does cost a bit more!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Oops - got a rim puncture and didn't twig you also get a slit in the sidewall down by the tyre bead.... a minute or two to plug that and he'd have saved 5 minutes or so!
Boab

Post by Boab »

I'm going to give this route a bash next year; there I've said it, can't not do it now. Can't see me getting round anywhere near that fast though! Might get one of those Restrap carry harness things for those two big HAB sections.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Hi didn't beat the record poor lad. Moral of the story, Alex... Don't go on a Canyon. They're trash :lol:
redefined_cycles

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:18 am Nah, i got the LL300 record: https://www.strava.com/activities/9153605176

Not anymore. Your time of 19H54 is up there. Maybe we're looking at the wrong site as it got a makeover a year or so ago.
redefined_cycles

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, Alex is looking at selfsupporteduk.net not fastestknowntimes.org.uk
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Boab wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:56 pm I'm going to give this route a bash next year; there I've said it, can't not do it now. Can't see me getting round anywhere near that fast though! Might get one of those Restrap carry harness things for those two big HAB sections.
I did it carrying full HT550 kit last spring. I only made it with 12 minutes to spare of the 40 hour time deemed to class as a completion, but did have a proper-ish night's sleep midway! Write up here: https://cycling.hypertelia.com/lakeland-200
redefined_cycles

Shaf, Alex is looking at selfsupporteduk.net not fastestknowntimes.org.uk
Aha. Yes, I see where the difference/confusion is coming. Thanks Bob.

Interestingly FastestKnownTime in terms of running and cycling has a slightly different set of 'guidelines'. Seems that the cycling version wants riders to be fully self supported (no caches or kit borrowing, but camera crews and morale boosters aren't discussed [yet]. The running version of FKT seems to have thre categories...

Supported; unsupported; other... https://fastestknowntime.com/guidelines
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:13 pm I did think this, but (spoiler alert) since he didnt get it, its doesnt really matter!
I can tell you now that if during my 300ITT attempt i had a film crew dotted around the route, it would be a huge mental lift and security blanket which would potentially offer a gain. Or perhaps playing devil's advocate it was actually a hindrance and he pushed too hard resulting in the puncture. When I completed the 300ITT, I drove to the lakes alone, rode it alone and finished it alone, that's how it should be done in my humble opinion - after all it's an "individual time trial".
I guess this is what happens when sponsors get involved, if they give you a bike they expect something back. The advantage of being a privateer means no ties to sponsors and you can do what you like - albeit it does cost a bit more!
Things can get a bit, mmm, murky (maybe that should be mucky :grin: ) - if you set the FKT on a group start does that count? Neil Beltchenko, Liam Glen and Angus Young all had company (admittedly competitive company) for varying lengths of their record rides on the HT550. Without knowing, it could be that in this case the film crew just said "we'll catch you whenever", there were quite a few big gaps in the route in what made into the film, whether that accurately reflects what was actually filmed is unstated. I suppose even here there's shades of grey - a film crew you don't know; a film crew you know; a film crew of close friends.

I did the Lakeland 200 in a similar manner to your 300, the only person that knew I was doing it was my wife though I did bump into Alan Goldsmith towards the end (what's the chances of that?), apart from him I only saw a handful of riders on the whole route. Not a quick time (38hrs) due to some truly horrific winds, I was in bottom gear going across the Old Coach Road :shock: , and a few mechanicals, but it was satisfying.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

due to some truly horrific winds
I was out that day and had a road average of 8 mph, mainly into that headwind ,after 4 hours at an altitude of about 200.ft

No idea how you did the lakes in that
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Boab wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:56 pm I'm going to give this route a bash next year; there I've said it, can't not do it now. Can't see me getting round anywhere near that fast though! Might get one of those Restrap carry harness things for those two big HAB sections.
I wouldn't bother with the strap on Boab - the carries aren't long enough to justify it and switching between push and carry reduces fatigue in my experience. Thought you weren't keen on rough trails.........
Boab

Post by Boab »

boxelder wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:21 am
I wouldn't bother with the strap on Boab - the carries aren't long enough to justify it and switching between push and carry reduces fatigue in my experience. Thought you weren't keen on rough trails.........
I'm not, but there's only one way to get better at them... 🤷
Besides, if I want to go and do the HT550 at some point, I should really be able to get around this.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.