Turkey Türkiye

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Turkey Türkiye

Post by Rasta »

I hope to head off to Turkey in a few weeks. I tried a search on here but found too many 'Christmas turkey dinner' trips to sort through.

I went last winter for a month and loved it. I am amazed that I don't see trips on this forum. I rode along the southwest coast, stopping for the night in remote bays that only had singletrack access. All to myself. Spending the mornings practicing my freediving. My luxury items were a mask, snorkel and trunks. December seawater was still warm enough. And flights were very cheap.

I can't seem to find much info for bikepacking the country. I know inland, due to the altitude, will be too cold this time of year. I want to keep the bike light.

Has anyone been? Any recommendations, links, vids? Anyone been inland in the months of Nov/Dec?
:-bd
Bearlegged

Re: Turkey Türkiye

Post by Bearlegged »

Not 100% sure which bits of Türkiye they've travelled, but if you're on Instagram, try @tmdub and @a__dyson
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Can’t help but Restrap did a tour there recently
https://youtu.be/3UTooSGFWTQ?si=SvNYqSnFcuMzOchx
javatime

Post by javatime »

Never been there on a bike, but walked a lot, very hospitable and great food available everywhere.

I recommend Julian Sayarer recent book for a current view. He cycled across last year for the centenary of modern Turkey.
javatime

Post by javatime »

Jblewi

Post by Jblewi »

Turkey is one of the best places I have ridden a bike, amazing food, vaguely exciting people, great roads and epic scenery.

Winter will be tough, spent some time there at sea level over Christmas and it wasn’t warm. Expect snow for sure. This was in the north in Izmit so maybe the south would be a bit better but north and inland it would be winter for sure and you’ll want to be prepared.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Rasta wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:23 pm My luxury items were a mask, snorkel and trunks.
I hope it goes well, :-bd
Sorry I can't help... ...except

Ditch the trunks

#TakeLessStuff. :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Thanks for the links/replies. I hope to be heading off in a couple of weeks. One way ticket, no set time. I'll see how the weather holds out.
I was there in December last year and defo no sign of snow on the southern coast. If it gets too cold, I could hide the bike in the bushes and hike the Lykia/Lycian Way, it's only 500km long. I've heard you can ride it, but that would be tough.
Still taking my trunks though.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I would have thought such a prestigious club/publication as the Geographical Society wouldn't be using such a cheap website host. Packed with irrelevant adverts. Liposuction! :lol:
An interesting read but also hard to read with all the flashing adverts left right and centre.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Rasta wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:34 pm
I would have thought such a prestigious club/publication as the Geographical Society wouldn't be using such a cheap website host. Packed with irrelevant adverts. Liposuction! :lol:
An interesting read but also hard to read with all the flashing adverts left right and centre.
AD-Blocker* add on in Firefox makes it very readable
Other irrelevant content blocker are available such as uBlock Origin etc ..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..