New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by jameso »

https://nabendynamo.de/en/new-edelux-he ... unction-2/

New SON light with power out and a high/low bean (edit/ beam, perhaps)? Sold :-bd (when it comes out in 2024)
Magnetic connection is really smart. Just need a suitable connector for the Garmin and this would tidy up my SON dynamo light + power set up by replacing the USB-Werk.
Last edited by jameso on Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Price would be interesting given the sinewave beacon does this but is quite expensive [ i have one faultless for about 5 years now]
jameso

Post by jameso »

I don't think it'll be cheap. Sinewave did look good but doesn't have the StVZO beam pattern which is the main drawback for me, I want it for long road rides at least as much as off-road. It lacks the the cache battery the SON will have also, so charging a Garmin needs an additional battery and in the end it'd be no more compact that the std SON plus a USB-werk.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

What is the magnetic connection? I'm not familiar with that. From the pic it looks like a connection at the bar side? Not down at the dropout?
jameso

Post by jameso »

I think the power out charge cable connection is shown on a display bar, I assumed it was their OE version of the magnetic connections available on ebay. Not replacing the dropout connection. But now you mention it.. a bike with the contact dropout connectors and this system would be so good. Those spade connectors are solid but a faff in the dark or with cold fingers.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

jameso wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:37 pm Those spade connectors are solid but a faff in the dark or with cold fingers.
Yep, I switched over to using these which have been working well.

https://www.brickstuff.com/store/p240/WIRE-2P-MAG.html

I've also used some that are available through SJS I think which are good too.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

You dont need a cache bank as you can just plug your garmin straight into a sinewave* even if the light is on, that said everyone is carrying a battery bank** anyway so its not additional weight
Most bike lights are not the " road legal" German set up but it works fine for me on the road , most of my commute is unlit road. What is that road standard like off road ?
Always good to have more dynamo light options and internal cache is nice feature [ but presumably either large light or small capacity].

* Having never tried [ charge it over night from a battery bank] i can confirm that you can plug a 530 straight into the light and it will charge [worked with both USB only and light on and i was barely moving as just outside on the road.
** i charge this during the day then run the light off it at night for off road [ the dynamo is still on so will still charge the battery bank as you are using it.

I used some waterproof ebay connectors for mine and its a faff with gloves as they are so small but no effort required to connect and they dont come lose that magnetic connector is a good idea but quite pricey for not much real benefit ; i connect mine at the start of a ride [or winter for the commuter] and that is it.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:49 pm You dont need a cache bank as you can just plug your garmin straight into a sinewave* even if the light is on, that said everyone is carrying a battery bank** anyway so its not additional weight
Most bike lights are not the " road legal" German set up but it works fine for me on the road , most of my commute is unlit road. What is that road standard like off road ?
Always good to have more dynamo light options and internal cache is nice feature [ but presumably either large light or small capacity].

* Having never tried [ charge it over night from a battery bank] i can confirm that you can plug a 530 straight into the light and it will charge [worked with both USB only and light on and i was barely moving as just outside on the road.
** i charge this during the day then run the light off it at night for off road [ the dynamo is still on so will still charge the battery bank as you are using it.

I used some waterproof ebay connectors for mine and its a faff with gloves as they are so small but no effort required to connect and they dont come lose that magnetic connector is a good idea but quite pricey for not much real benefit ; i connect mine at the start of a ride [or winter for the commuter] and that is it.
I don't use a Garmin that much but I've always just plugged it straight into the Beacon and it charges fine. I found the connectors useful as I was taking my front wheel off pretty often (for transport). I also found them pretty good stuck on the side of the trail in the dark in the pissing rain fixing a puncture.
jameso

Post by jameso »

You dont need a cache bank as you can just plug your garmin straight into a sinewave* even if the light is on, that said everyone is carrying a battery bank** anyway so its not additional weight
Maybe it's my older Garmin Edge, but if there's no cache battery it powers down when the current stops. The cache regulates it so that junctions on the road, slow climbs etc don't give you the powering down timer message. It's a fault of the Garmin more than anything else. I don't generally take a power pack with me when riding with the dynamo set up I have, I'm charging either Garmin, phone or camera as I ride in the day and I just make sure I have a full Garmin charge shortly before dusk when I go onto lights powered off the dynamo.
I find the standard torch beam pattern more tiring on my eyes on longer rides, the Edelux beam pattern is so good for roads and easy trails, a no going back kind of thing personally. Better for drivers ime too, at least in terms of visibility for me : glare to them ratio.
Off-road - I'd not be going fast on real MTB trails with it, but it's fine for gravel / XC or anywhere you don't have hairpins, or a lot of low-hanging branches :grin: A small head torch helps there. A >500L battery torch is better for consistent output on anything tricky off-road on a more MTB-orientated trip so I use a battery and an Exposure light for that kind of thing, or a headtorch if it's a possibility and I'm on the gravel/tourer bike. Hence the hi-low feature of the SON appeals as it could cover both uses well.
Boab

Post by Boab »

New Lotus eBike, yours for a wallet shredding £20k. Not sure I'd want to strap bags to it...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
jameso

Post by jameso »

That's an e-bike? :shock:

But... ..nah forget it :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

That's slightly perverse - all that tech to make it light and aero but if its got a motor then it will still only do 27kph.
Target audience - rich idiots who want the look but can't be bothered putting in the miles. Yawn.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Boab wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:20 pm New Lotus eBike, yours for a wallet shredding £20k. Not sure I'd want to strap bags to it...

I've turned my brightness up to full and still can't see anything. :lol:
It must be 12k for the stealth technology. :shock:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:15 pm That's slightly perverse - all that tech to make it light and aero but if its got a motor then it will still only do 27kph.
Target audience - rich idiots who want the look but can't be bothered putting in the miles. Yawn.
Oh, you want a bike for rich idiots...? I give you the J.LAVERACK ASTON MARTIN .1R. Featuring "Hidden cables. Hidden bolts.".

Not sure where you're supposed to put your water bottle...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Presumably one's butler carries it in the support car.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:lol:
That'll get the 'standards' types foaming at the mouth. A bit heavy as well - 7.5kg plus. The fancy spesh road bike my boss was banging on about the other week is 6.
No mention of price, doubtless in the "if you have to ask, your not in the market" category.....
Be nice to think I might blaze past one on the steamroller up some suitable climb at one point
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:30 pm That'll get the 'standards' types foaming at the mouth. A bit heavy as well - 7.5kg plus. The fancy spesh road bike my boss was banging on about the other week is 6.
No mention of price, doubtless in the "if you have to ask, your not in the market" category.....
I wouldn't say no to a S-Works Aethos (Dura-Ace Di2), but at £12K, let's be honest, that's never going to happen...
Boab

Post by Boab »

Canyon have announced an updated Lux Trail. Was quite excited when they released the last one, but hte reviews weren't very good. Hopefully this one is better, as it looks like it ticks all my boxes...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It's reminiscent in looks of the early-mid 2000s hydroformed aluminium bikes that were all the rage for a while, not that that's a bad thing. Not cheap though. I don't use my full sus at all any more but looking at the price of new ones makes me reluctant to sell it because I'd never be able to justify the expense. My youngest will grow into it in a few years :grin:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Boab

Post by Boab »

What? You don't want to ride around on saddle that looks like it's got an anal plug on it...? 🤔
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

firestarter wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:59 pm It's not April is it ?

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/saddl ... est-304951
Just wait and see what kind of saddle bag designs this will trigger. Next to triggering many other things supposedly.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Boab wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:10 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:15 pm That's slightly perverse - all that tech to make it light and aero but if its got a motor then it will still only do 27kph.
Oh, you want a bike for rich idiots...? I give you the J.LAVERACK ASTON MARTIN .1R. Featuring "Hidden cables. Hidden bolts.".

Not sure where you're supposed to put your water bottle...
I actually really like this, always like skinny tubes on road bikes paired with deep sections.

I’d also be tempted to say it’s one of the nicer joint projects of bike/car manufacturers out there as they normally look horrific
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

firestarter wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:59 pm It's not April is it ?

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/saddl ... est-304951
When looking for a saddle that’s good for the prostate that wasn’t quite what I had in mind.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://bikepacking.com/news/new-garmin-etrex-solar/
Not much in the way of functions but it's a start.