Lachlan Morton on the great divide

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: Lachlan Morton on the great divide

Post by jameso »

^ I just went to look up Lachlan Morton's Instagram .. his bio says "For the action, not the reaction."
I like that.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

jameso wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:18 pm ^ I just went to look up Lachlan Morton's Instagram .. his bio says "For the action, not the reaction."
I like that.
I like that, might even steal it…

A very impressive time too :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It odd to post it on his.pulic feed which.is designed entirely for a reaction. No bike ride requires an insta profile to have happened
Him or his marketing people are very good at their jobs though.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Or is it just his take on it all?

He's a pro rider, it's part of the job to get publicity from his actions whether that's his priority or not. Loud bikes, breakaways, wins, things like this, just being fast in the first place, it's all publicity for the opportunities that come with it. And he's got $21k out of a $25k target for a good cause, that's a great form of reaction.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Johnallan wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:53 pm Second, I hope people stop trying to implement 'rules'. It's just riding bikes. Sometimes it gets a bit daft but if it was totally safe, I doubt most of us would be interested anyway
I can't really add much beyond labrat's excellent post, other than saying it's not about what's necessarily safe for us, but safe for others.

Veering across a road because you're half dead from sleep exhaustion is a very different scenario to crashing your bike on a dangerous rocky descent.

Edit - I appreciate I'm reading old posts at this point. Just something I feel quite strongly on.
mskinner

Post by mskinner »

Just did some quick sums on this, when kipchoge ran his support marathon that took him under 2hrs using pacers on a flat loop course he took about 1.2% off the world record time, Lachlan was approx 13% under the record, I have the upmost respect for the rules and Mike halls record but it has to stand as a very impressive bit of long distance riding and perhaps will change how many people approach ultras as he stopped for 12 hours in every 48hr period
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Didn't he also do the atlas one without stopping? Therefore it depends on the length of the ride ?

As you note , naval gazing about rules aside, it's one hell of a ride time/speed
mskinner

Post by mskinner »

I think it was the Badlands in Spain
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

mskinner wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:24 pm Just did some quick sums on this, when kipchoge ran his support marathon that took him under 2hrs using pacers on a flat loop course he took about 1.2% off the world record time, Lachlan was approx 13% under the record, I have the utmost respect for the rules and Mike halls record but it has to stand as a very impressive bit of long distance riding and perhaps will change how many people approach ultras as he stopped for 12 hours in every 48hr period
That is quite unusual given that most record breaking attempts become asymptotic, i.e. they converge on what might be considered an "absolute" value. Someone breaks the record by 24hrs the next break is by 12hrs, then 8hrs then 6hrs then ...

Being an ex(?) pro-rider Lachlan will be fast by pretty well everyone's standard so he could afford to have long(ish) breaks and still have a decent, well bloody fast actually, overall speed. Those of us not from the pro-racing scene would have to have less stopping time/sleep to even stand a chance of approaching that overall speed. If you can average 20km/h for 18hrs then you get six hours kip and are still keeping up with someone whose average speed is 15kmh.

We've discussed before the benefits of even a couple of hours sleep - my own example was the final day and a bit on the HT550 without a break taking 31hrs40min for 260km then just four weeks later doing 300km in 29hrs but with a 90min nap. So 40km further in three hours less time. So even a small nap works for me.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

This brings me back to a previous thought on another post that FKT's are becoming irrelevant unless the course is identical and there are a host of rules about not engaging with friends, rellies, film crew etc. etc. either in person or via a phone. I've always thought that group starts take away a bit of the challenge as you have other riders to speak to, or at least to see where they are and pace yourself accordingly. And I'd agree that if your nearest and dearest is only a phone call away that's nearly as good as having them at the side of the trail. You then end up with a list of rules a mile long, that are impossible to enforce and take away the simplicity of "here is a route, go and ride it self supported as quick as you want"

So we should just take every ride in absolute terms and what Lachlan did is an all round good thing. Same with other routes - rather than comparing times just praise for achieving a particular finish time rather than a placing.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:26 pm So we should just take every ride in absolute terms and what Lachlan did is an all round good thing. Same with other routes - rather than comparing times just praise for achieving a particular finish time rather than a placing.
Guess it’s a bit like winter fat bike races, I really think each year stands in its own right as one winter condition can be completely different to another

Rovaniemi 150 first place one year was 34 (ish) hours legislate another year it’s was 13 (ish) hours* Really don’t think it was due to the quality of rider but rather the conditions of the snow/ice etc

*times are from memory as it appears the website has gone
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, unless conditions are identical than it's hard to draw any meaningful parallels between different riders on different days ... last years BB200/300 were a good example of that.

Anyway, very impressive but so far out of my sphere, that we might as well be discussing landing on the moon :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
JackT

Post by JackT »

Rack and panniers. Just sayin’ :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Veering across a road because you're half dead from sleep exhaustion is a very different scenario to crashing your bike on a dangerous rocky descent
In about 2012 (I think) on the CVMBC (Colne Valley MTB Challenge - a race but not a race for local scouts/cricket club) the fastest 2 or 3 riders did it in 2H**. But the chap who was in the lead I think ended up coming 2nd cos he crashed into a (? couple of) horse(s).

I believe the collision happened on a cross roads where 2 mtb/bridle tracks criss-crossed. Not making any comments about mtb racing and falling into the verge, but I have seen various injuries from horses riders falling off. Despite the helmet I can tell you they're really not pretty at all.

So, though it might not be cars/roads (mostly), serious damage can/does happen on the trails. Whilst walking (sorry if any SingleTrackWorld tossers* are listening) with the kids/family it can be a real scary exp being passed by riders who act like its 'their' trail. There's not many, but these are those that (or, don't look to be) aren't too tired.

On the recent Everesting (uncompleted, project ongoing) on a local DH track you coukd see the fright on the walkers faces as I rode back down. Especially since some of those rocks can launch as you go past. Obviously I always (tried to) slow(ed) down and gave a wide a berth as poss in a narrow gully - but, must be scary for other users in a different way to road-fatigued-riding.

*Obviously not all STW frequenters are such, but I did leave cos of the fair few that are/were!... bar stewards!

** For the record I've hardly broken the 4H barrier properly, but am reading the excellent book 'Endure' by Hutchinson about how the mind/safety net holds us back... So I reckon next year will be a breakthrough InshaAllah (God Willing).
redefined_cycles

final day and a bit on the HT550 without a break taking 31hrs40min for 260km then just four weeks later doing 300km in 29hrs but with a 90min nap. So 40km further in three hours less time. So even a small nap works for me.
Bob, that book I mentioned goes into this very thing. Pacing, fatigue and how the mind restricts or opens the possibilities of new achievements. Every ITT person should/would love the read/depth.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

JackT wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:09 pm Rack and panniers. Just sayin’ :grin:
That not traditional bikepacking then....
Original recieved wisdom was panniers & racks break....
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

https://youtu.be/x7qxW9yTyRM?feature=shared

According to Josh I there's a new FKT for the course. Maybe Lachlan might enter next years lineup for the official race (and rules) to see what he can take do officially. Anyway, well done him...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

ledburner wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:09 am
JackT wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:09 pm Rack and panniers. Just sayin’ :grin:
That not traditional bikepacking then....
Original recieved wisdom was panniers & racks break....
IIRC when Tailfin first burst on the scene a couple of years back and it seemed like half of the field were using them, there were a few breakages in the GBDuro and Silk Road Mountain Race but I don't know if that was just a bad batch or they were overloaded. I've just finished a road tour with bikepacking bags and I can appreciate the simplicity of just having to unclip a couple of panniers at the cost of a little weight.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Few seconds saved for sure but all my " systems" have a removable dry bag
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Blister review outdoor gear winter & summer. Gerk-out.
Ant way saw this ..lachlan-morton-on-the-tour-divide-record-bears-payday-bars-more-ep-194
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..