Recommend me a GPS

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BridlewayBimbler

Recommend me a GPS

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

As per title, what do members favour for on bike navigation? Just want something that can reliably get me from A to B. Happy to go 2nd hand if needed.
fatbikephil

Re: Recommend me a GPS

Post by fatbikephil »

Garmin Dakota - still available on ebay cheap - use AA's and fairly idiot proof.
Garmin etrex touch - recent acquisition for me - supposed to be a bit rubbish but so far it's been fine - basically an updated Dakota, not quite as idiot proof.
Garmin etrex - fetch a premium second hand but simple and AA's last for ages. Very idiot proof.
Above are really meant for hill walking but nice and simple and won't keep telling you how much to eat after a ride

Cycling specific - Garmin touch 530 - loads of irrelevant crap features (how much I should have eaten on a ride) but OK if you turn all that stuff off (and the turn by turn nav which doesn't work) battery lasts 25 hrs in saver mode. Very light and can be had for sub 200 quid new. No SD card but you can save OS / OSM / TT maps onto it

My pref - must be able to have OS / OSM / talk toaster base mapping, must be idiot proof, must be robust.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I've a garmin edge explore with after market uk 50 maps on it like new in box for 75 if that's of any interest mate
BridlewayBimbler

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:32 pm Garmin Dakota - still available on ebay cheap - use AA's and fairly idiot proof.
Garmin etrex touch - recent acquisition for me - supposed to be a bit rubbish but so far it's been fine - basically an updated Dakota, not quite as idiot proof.
Garmin etrex - fetch a premium second hand but simple and AA's last for ages. Very idiot proof.
Above are really meant for hill walking but nice and simple and won't keep telling you how much to eat after a ride

Cycling specific - Garmin touch 530 - loads of irrelevant crap features (how much I should have eaten on a ride) but OK if you turn all that stuff off (and the turn by turn nav which doesn't work) battery lasts 25 hrs in saver mode. Very light and can be had for sub 200 quid new. No SD card but you can save OS / OSM / TT maps onto it

My pref - must be able to have OS / OSM / talk toaster base mapping, must be idiot proof, must be robust.
Thanks for the feedback- :-bd
Can the walking ones be attached using the standard Garmin mounts?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yup - they do a bike specific one which works for the Dakota and all etrexes. I use a RAM mount for the Dakota but it sticks up a bit.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Can the walking ones be attached using the standard Garmin mounts?
Not the mounts you'd use with a Garmin bike gps - 500, 1000 etc. The erred mounts are larger and the device slides in, rather than twists.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Not the mounts you'd use with a Garmin bike gps - 500, 1000 etc. The erred mounts are larger and the device slides in, rather than twists.
You can get a converter on Amazon for use with Garmin mounts, I have one, there was a thread and link on here somewhere
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

I'd highly recommend the wahoo element roam. Links to kamoot and ride with GPS, loads come up on eBay and has links to a database of base maps.
Garmin etrex 20 as well.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

IME touch versions and.rain or gloves are not great and I much prefer buttons.
Touch is better if it works but a big issue if it dies not
Like my 530.non touch with memory map on phone as back up
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Garmin Edge Explore works well for me. Maps and navigation are fine, can sync with phone and services such as Komoot, Strava or Trailforks to download routes or uploads rides.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

riderdown wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:38 pm
You can get a converter on Amazon for use with Garmin mounts, I have one, there was a thread and link on here somewhere
Garmin spline device (hiking GPS)
To
Garmin quarter-turn bar-mount (cycling)

TUSITA [2-PACK] Mounts Spine Clip... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09D7KS91J? ... b_ap_share

See my review on Amazon from 20-May-2022 for some illustrative photos.

Though I since swapped back to using an Edge 1030. :lol: :lol:
BridlewayBimbler

firestarter wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:01 pm I've a garmin edge explore with after market uk 50 maps on it like new in box for 75 if that's of any interest mate
I would definitely be interested if that's still available? :grin:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Sorry sold the other day
BridlewayBimbler

firestarter wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:05 am Sorry sold the other day
No probs. Thanks :-bd
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I have the garmin 830, I don't reccomend, it is crap in the wet, but otherwise excellent. Apparently the new 840 is supposed to be OK in the wet .

Having come from a walking gps I highly recommend getting a bike one, at least with garmin, the direction turn by turn features are vaguely exciting. A game changer IMO.

I can't speak for non garmin
BridlewayBimbler

Mr conners wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:15 am I'd highly recommend the wahoo element roam. Links to kamoot and ride with GPS, loads come up on eBay and has links to a database of base maps.
Garmin etrex 20 as well.
Thanks-Have you had any experience of the original Elemnt at all and whether it would still be useable- I think ones are about 7 or 8 years old now?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I'm a Garmin Edge 8XX user for many years for bikepacking. Now on the 830 and it does what I ask from it. Eg. battery save mode, screen lock (helps in the wet) and connectivity that lets me sketch route(alternatives) on the go from smartphone apps and easily load them to the Edge. It never struggled even with huge gpx files (with many different long tracks and loads of POI). Have followed other brand's developments and user experiences and never saw any benefit.
The way I use it I get 3 days worth of 10+ hours on the go out of it. Charges pretty fast once empty and has the port in the right place to charge while riding. Works well in below freezing. I recommend using (any GPS) with a screen protector. I tend to cut them from old mobile phone screen protectors from one quid boxes you find in many shops.
fatbikerbill wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:48 am I have the garmin 830, I don't reccomend, it is crap in the wet, but otherwise excellent. Apparently the new 840 is supposed to be OK in the wet .
Ever tried the screen lock function?
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

BridlewayBimbler wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:11 pm
Mr conners wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:15 am I'd highly recommend the wahoo element roam. Links to kamoot and ride with GPS, loads come up on eBay and has links to a database of base maps.
Garmin etrex 20 as well.
Thanks-Have you had any experience of the original Elemnt at all and whether it would still be useable- I think ones are about 7 or 8 years old now?
Still getting good service from mine after many years and miles in all conditions despite 5 BB200 events including that wet year and going under water a few times at straa with it, good unit still.

Use for endurance road and off road events audax etc, faultless on transatlantic way this year and still get great battery life.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BridlewayBimbler wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:11 pm
Garmin etrex 20 as well.
I've had em from the Bolt v1 and my two pence are...

They're good, but the colour added to later screens is a lovely addition.

They never used to cope well with the lack of storage space but this could be worked around by deleting old rides and not having too many route loaded - it would become a pain whilst riding if the route was too long (200+ miles) and the memory ran out. But, I'd still have one (and did as my spare).

Main thing IMO to worry about the v1 (BOLT and ROAM... and I have owned more than one of each... or something like that and I did love em) is that you'll be getting one that's probably been drained and recharged many many times. Chances are they may have not looked after the battery too well so as to have drained to the limit and then recharged. This ends up losing battery capacity and I've experienced an ebay unit that had that going for it.

All in all, if you can, then get a v2 (BOLT really isn't too far off a ROAM) and the BOLT is much cheaper. Buying second hand and then just ensure to ask about history of ownership and battery life issues. I just sold a v1 to Keith on here and it's got excellent battery life. Bought it off a friend who hadn't used it too much.

Making routes inside the device isn't doable on a BOLT v1, so just be aware of that too. I think thwy sorted that by the ROAM v1. But, it's hardly an issue as the app can do that for you and you just star the route or bluetooth it across etc etc...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Heres a BOLT v2 Bimbler. Bet you could push this person down to about £150 if you asked really nicely. You can tell by the buttons being raised (another downside of the v1 versions but not a deal brwaker) that's it's v2.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126160702822 ... media=COPY
ootini

Post by ootini »

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but beyond the "power issues", are there any GPS units out there that have the screen, interface and processing power of a smart phone?

I currently use a Samsung S10 (I think) running GPXVIEWER Pro. It's immeasurably better than my previous Garmin Etrex 20, in basically every way, apart from power consumption and ease of charging.

So I'm just thinking dynamo hub, multiple power packs etc and stick with the phone, unless someone can suggest an alternative?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

A garmin 1040 solar might be your answer (big screen, very long battery life, lots of processing power) but it’s a big chunk of change and unless you’re a racer a lot of features are novelty value only.

Personally, I’d go for the much cheaper 540 solar and get the phone out for those occasions you need a bigger screen. It really depends on how much on the fly navigation you tend to do.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

are there any GPS units out there that have the screen, interface and processing power of a smart phone
No but my solution is a garmin 530 and a waterproof phone for when I need to check
Phones don't last all day ( with screen on ) so you have power issues ( and a garmin will.warn you when you are off course and a phone wont)
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

fatbikerbill wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:48 am I have the garmin 830, I don't reccomend, it is crap in the wet, but otherwise excellent. Apparently the new 840 is supposed to be OK in the wet .

Having come from a walking gps I highly recommend getting a bike one, at least with garmin, the direction turn by turn features are vaguely exciting. A game changer IMO.

I can't speak for non garmin
I have the Etrex touch 35, which is a hiking orientated model, along with talkytoaster maps - turn by turn navigation works just fine.
BridlewayBimbler

Thanks for all the advice guys-I managed to pick up a Wahoo Bolt V1 off Ebay. :-bd