New bike day (2 years in the waiting) Alhamdulillah!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

New bike day (2 years in the waiting) Alhamdulillah!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sold the Pinnacle and got a shiny used SID. So this beauty has finally atarted being built. Bought in 2021 June so well over two years. Thankfully it's not a Sonder though so hopefully the excellent warranty offered by SC won't let me down in case it's any manufacturing faults.

Bottom bracket in and SIDs on. Have a 12 speed crankset at 650g so that'll have to do with an 11 speed drivetrain (unless I can be bothered swapped chainrings over). Stem, I'm not sure but it might have to be the PRO xc type as opposed to the heavier Thomson or HAVOC. 120mm of travel. Bars are waiting and can plug straight into the stem.

Wheels, thanks to our Allen I have em but couldn't be doing with that gaffer/gorilla tape. So will need to order some more Tesa tape to get em up and running... Got 2.2 inch tyres to go at both ends but the forks are Boost so should take a good 2.6. Problem with the 2.2 tyres is that the weels are rather wide (35mm internal I think) so the 2.2 might be a stretch.

That's all for now. New pic coming once some more parts are on. Hopefully won't be long so I don't start suffering mtb withdrawal symptoms!
Teaman

Re: New bike day (2 years in the waiting) Alhamdulillah!

Post by Teaman »

Looks nice and hopefully you'll get to try it out before too long.
Well done with your fund raising :-bd
redefined_cycles

Thanks Teaman. Managed to order a dropper for less than £150 by Crank Bros (online, EU bikeshop but needed to do a minimal order of €160) so that can go on in not too long.

Apparently they're very good (not that there's much choice at 27.2 :-bd
Loki

Post by Loki »

Looking quite lush, I cannot wait to see the finished bike :D
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, there are standard tables for matching the width of the tyre to the rim width. Do a search for ETRTO charts.

I've seen figures suggesting tyre to rim width ideal ratio of 1.8 - 1 so a 35mm rim's best fit is: 35 * 1.8 = 63mm; 63/25.4 = 2.48"

Of course then you need to ensure that such a tyre would fit in the frame with enough clearance. On my Mk1 Solaris I can *just* fit a 2.8" 650b tyre but mud does accumulate. Subsequent versions have room for a full 3" 650b wheel/tyre combo.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thanks Bob. In that case (unless the 2.2 miraculously stretches over the rear wheel - gap suggested by SC is 2.4 max) as the internal is actually 41mm it'll have to be a 2.4 at the rear and a 2.6 upfront (for now) in the boost fork.

Internal dropper Highline XC by CrankBros ordered frok europe. Hopefully no extra taxes to pay when it arrives.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Watching with interest as I have the same frame (in XL and a better colour :wink: ) bought specifically to create a "UK gravel bike" ie rigid, Jones bars, 2.2 Ikons to cope with the majority of UK trails.

I tried it down some of the techy local stuff once and did not get far! It was not the tool for the job (or maybe I'm old and frightened nowadays), hence my interest as to whether a sus fork and dropper change it's character markedly.

It's comfortably under 10kg naked, although I will admit to breaking the yoke at the top of the seatpost recently so might have gone a little too light there.
SC Highball DorsetDivide23 small.jpg
SC Highball DorsetDivide23 small.jpg (198.1 KiB) Viewed 3689 times
redefined_cycles

Dyffers wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:46 pm Watching with interest as I have the same frame (in XL and a better colour :wink: ) bought specifically to create a "UK gravel bike" ie rigid, Jones bars, 2.2 Ikons to cope with the majority of UK trails.

I tried it down some of the techy local stuff once and did not get far! It was not the tool for the job (or maybe I'm old and frightened nowadays), hence my interest as to whether a sus fork and dropper change it's character markedly.

It's comfortably under 10kg naked, although I will admit to breaking the yoke at the top of the seatpost recently so might have gone a little too light there.

SC Highball DorsetDivide23 small.jpg
Very very nice Dyffers. Agreed, you have the better colour scheme. Them Trav Prongs I had to go on, but ended up sold!!

Since we're Highball brothers, you can have the Brand X (if it fits the bill for your other frame) which is a 31.6... for... £35 :-bd
redefined_cycles

Posted :lol: (I should kick myself... but won't).
faustus

Post by faustus »

I do like your build dyffers, and i'm coming to the same conclusion about a uk gravel bike being a lightweight flat bar mtb, is best for me. As a former local, what techy bits do you mean? :smile:

Build is looking good shaf, it'll be a capable and light bike when done! I'm off to have another look at the chinese Airwolf frames that rip-off the Highball geometry... :lol:
redefined_cycles

Airwolf. Used to love that (and fhe game on Amstrad) when we was 12 or 10. Thinking about a Mt Zoom thru axle to save another 35g upfront. 35g lost, £25 spent. Seems reasonable.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:45 pm Thinking about a Mt Zoom thru axle to save another 35g upfront. 35g lost, £25 spent. Seems reasonable.
Wasn't there a rule about no more than £1 spent per gram lost?

I have some Mt Zoom stuff, including the carbon post and alloy stem on the Highball and a 12mm thru axle in my Mason road bike. All works fine with the caveat that as mentioned above I managed to break the seatpost when I missed the pedal clip and came down heavy on the saddle. XC Racer sent me the seatppost parts gratis and quickly, which made me think they might have had a few go like that...
faustus wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:20 pm As a former local, what techy bits do you mean? :smile:
Went to Puddletown Forest with my mate and our kids. WE both had a go at some of the old trails we knew, nothing particularly bad, and he had to be talked out of one of the drops on his gravel bike. Oh to be young again.
faustus wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:20 pm I'm off to have another look at the chinese Airwolf frames that rip-off the Highball geometry... :lol:
I've had more than one direct-from-china carbon item, including a Flyxii CX frameset and a Hylix fork that's on my Ibis conversion. I don't like the look of Airwolf though.
redefined_cycles

Hate wrapping frames, but couldn't risk the carbon scraping!

3m tape in 50mm x 1m arrived yesterday (or this am) so off to work. Not enough of it but thankfully SC include a sheet of protection tape/tabs.

Couldn't decide where to go and used some iPA mixed with water to help positioning ended up wrapping under the down tube, around the top tube at the front for a TT bag. Some strips inside the rear behind and around the BB. Hopefully it protects against any tyre rub. A couple of strips around the top of the seattube.

Think I did a good job and no bubbles!
redefined_cycles

Hmmmm, though I'm trying to cut down any excess spending, I reckon I needs some more 3M tape for the headtube.

I got the see through version, but maybe the one on a white background so you know which way rouns itsgoing on during the stencil process.
redefined_cycles

CrankBros dropper arrived. Hopefully a significant upgrade but I mainly needed it for the 27.2 diameter...

Outgoing (redundant, for now) 150mm or 125mmBrand X dropper = 618g
Incoming CrankBros 125mm Gravel/XC = 468g

:grin: Happy with that and worth the wait. God Willing it lasts a long, ling time with many happy drops!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Looks Lush mate