Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by Verena »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:35 pm I hope you fed the moldy crumpets to the slug!
Bashed it over the head with it :lol: ( do slugs have heads??)
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

BridlewayBimbler wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:59 pm Evening all,

I'm new to the forum/bikepacking and was inspired by all the amazing posts to try the 'Bivvy a Month' challenge.

Possibly a daft question, so do humour me! Can I start this month and carry on till next October, or do I have to wait until January to begin?

Many thanks!: )
Welcome, I started in January as its an OCD thing :lol: have fun pal
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Verena wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:03 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:35 pm I hope you fed the moldy crumpets to the slug!
Get down with the crumpets :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Verena

Post by Verena »

Leerowe76 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:57 pm
Verena wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:03 pm
Get down with the crumpets :-bd
I'm definitely going to give the crumpet thing another go....
KernowSteve

Post by KernowSteve »

October 10/12 done.
Kept it local this month as been a bit busy to do anything that required a day or 2 of cycling, and wanted an excuse to get back out to Penlee battery for another nose around!
Left after tea last night for a brief 45 min peddle out along Whitsand Bay to Cawsand were I took the track up towards Penlee Point, which in the right weather has incredible views over Plymouth Sound and the English Channel. Obviously it was dark so no photos of the veiw last night apart from my poor attempt at capturing the cross Channel ferry coming into port! Image
With the wind and rain forecast I decided to have a look at Queen Adelaides grotto as a possible bivvy spot. Getting down the cliff to it with a loaded bike was awkward, but no were near as difficult as trying to manhandle the loaded bike back up the cliff this morning!
Once inside it was pretty much perfect and has to rank as one of my best bivvy spots for wet and windy conditions. The grotto was built in the 19th century onto an existing cave that had been used as a lookout for centuries. I believe the then Princess Adelaide was on a royal visit of some kind to the Mount Edgcumbe estate and the grotto was built to mark the occasion. Since then it has had some odd bits of restoration work here and there and most beneficially a concrete floor section added which just happens to be flat and smooth! Image.
Rolled out the bivvy bag on the luxurious flat floor and hung the wet gear on the bike before climbing into my sleeping bag and thanking the Royal visitor for creating a nice comfortable bivvy spot out of the wind and rain.
Slept brilliantly, helped by the hip flask and Chocolate Image. No Sheep s@*t to step in on my nighttime toilet breaks which was nice for a change.
This morning dawned fairly clear with no rain, so I was treated to a pleasant view which my phone camera has failed to capture adequately as usual Image
Conveniently the grotto builders had put in a ledge for me to put my stove on and sit down whilst eating breakfast, which was kind of them Image.
Did I mention going down the cliff to get there last night.....This morning I was treated to the joys of struggling back up a cliff with a loaded bike!! Got up safely in the end before a quick ride back home just missing my Wife as she had already left for work.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one KS, an unusual and interesting location there. I can only dream of a morning sea view, living about as far from it as it's possible
to be :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

That looks amazing!!
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Stunning, only been to Cornwall once and would love to see more.
And now I'm thinking whether to take the espresso maker out with me tonight. Might have to be done.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Live bivvy in progress, in a posh shed in fife. It's wazzing it down!
Verena

Post by Verena »

gecko76 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:14 pm Stunning, only been to Cornwall once and would love to see more.
And now I'm thinking whether to take the espresso maker out with me tonight. Might have to be done.
Same here!

I'm thinking a Cornwall trip sometime next year is definitely on the cards.

And my neglected espresso maker is coming out to play for my next breakfast with a view!
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Looks a great spot KS, and a fabulous view.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

October done but no pictures as I forgot. I hoped to get another overnighter in but it has happened and a samhain ride to a churchyard is not going to happen now

My ride was my non finish of the BB200 at the beginning of the month. I realised when I got to the mountain road I did not have the condition to finish. I was ok riding but I had not prepared for the HaB and the push a few metres, rest, push a bit more did for my legs. Rather than continue I went to Nant Rhys bothy on Saturday night and headed back to LLanbrynmair on Sunday.

I arrived to an empty bothy, put down my bike and headed out to get some water. As I was leaving the bothy a father and son arrived and we spent the evening talking and again the next morning. I was half way down to Sweet Lamb before I remembered I had not taken a photo but here is my ride on Strava:

https://www.strava.com/activities/10006840402

10/12 and 22 continuous months. Looking forward to November and December.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Right, ignore the last one, this is my October BAM!
Inspite of a horrible weather forecast I decided to go out as I need to get some bad weather karma in, given how lucky I've been this year on various trips and rides. In view of the rain I headed to a spot I've not used for a few years, in Falkland Estate

Luxury! I managed to scavenge enough dryish wood to get a nice blaze going in the stove so had a fine evening reading and sipping a beer or three, whilst torrential rain took place outside.

A new sign has appeared on the entrance gate stating 'Private, Keep Out' but in theory you are covered by access rights so I'll ignore that. Plus it looks like it's being run by Fife Council (who employ me) so I might make some enquiries to see about official use for the Scottish Winter bivvy.

After a fine breakfast from the Falkland Bakery I sploshed my way round various roads and trails. This one was a bit much for the straggler, uphill at least. Eventually the rain went off and I finished in sunshine!
RIP

Post by RIP »

A shed within a shed?! Now that's too much of a good thing :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

I hereby dub you fatbikearthur'twosheds'philjackson.
A new sign has appeared on the entrance gate stating 'Private, Keep Out' but in theory you are covered by access rights so I'll ignore that. Plus it looks like it's being run by Fife Council (who employ me) so I might make some enquiries to see about official use for the Scottish Winter bivvy.
I'd be up for that. Report from last night to follow, but this gives some flavour.

https://youtu.be/ZhreMQWrIQQ?si=yYnGbAjqOe7eQvmQ
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:lol:
Twas shed tastic actually as there are a couple of composting toilets in sheds of their own
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Cutting it very fine this month. Was going to go out this weekend but had (well didn’t have to, but you know how it is?) work so it’ll have to be a Halloween bivvy on Tuesday, come hell or high water. Photos probably follow in November.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

October bivi: it wasn't supposed to be like this. As per the August ride, headed west (there is no other way) along the canal but at night this time, the only lights the little solar powered catseyes (white, and red and green for junctions) and the glare of oncoming delivery riders, then once clear of the city chasing mice and moths along the towpath, streaming spiderwebs.
Quick slow quick quick slow for thirty miles, the slow bits being where trees had rootsed up the tarmac then dumped leaves on top. That really dingles my dangle, as do the slippery stones under bridges. It was wet. Did I say it was wet? It was wet across the Slateford aqueduct then the Almond aqueduct and finally the Avon aqueduct and that was enough. One o'clock in the morning by now and time to go searching for the embalming house promised by one Nicole McDonald on google maps.
After carrying fully laden bike down many wooden steps to the valley bottom, I started looking but Could Not Find It. Something I'd read suggested it was actually a summerhouse, but I couldn't find that either. Found the cemetery but that was full, so after tramping around in the woods for twenty minutes I retraced my tracks and crawled into a hole in the river bank.
Which was dripping with nascent stalactites and giant spiders.
Needs must though, and I thought I had my 'sleeping in an underground chamber' technique down after January so duly rolled out the bivi bag, popped the mat in, flipped it over so the hood was uppermost, added sleeping bag and crawled in to enjoy a wee snifter of Havana Gold with a wagyu beef jerky chaser by pumpkinlight.
Pulled my beanie down over my ears to keep drips off my scalp and went to sleep.

Woke at 3.28 to find I'd lost my hat (bloody spiders) and was buried deep in my bag and hyperventilating, also a message from my wife asking if I was drowning? It was wet. Outside it was even wetter, but not much.

Next morning I found my hat and made coffee. Had a cup of espresso with a stroopwaffel then a cup of espresso with a stroopwaffel then a cup of espresso with an eccles cake then another cup of espresso, which woke me up.
Got myself together and out of the park (saw two deer) then spent the day helping friends put solar panels on their log cabin build until back along the canal. The bike was very tired for that bit, but at least it wasn't wet.
RIP

Post by RIP »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:06 pm so it’ll have to be a Halloween bivvy on Tuesday
Looking forward to some appropriate clothing :smile: .

Bit uninspired for Nov/Dec here. Maybe Nov 5th.....

RIP

Post by RIP »

Much enjoying your adventures Gecko :smile: . Usually something a bit out of the ordinary.
gecko76 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:12 pm Found the cemetery but that was full
...but with permanent 'bivviers' rather than monthly ones?
a hole in the river bank
Looks suspiciously like a drainage tunnel, I'd've been afeared of being flushed out in the middle of the night :smile:
giant spiders
Arg!! 'Bye......
Woke at 3.28 to find I'd lost my hat (bloody spiders)
:grin:
Had a cup of espresso... then a cup of espresso..... then a cup of espresso... then another cup of espresso, which woke me up....
.... and sent you into orbit?! :smile:

gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

I think you're probably right. It was fully blocked with earth about 20 feet in though so wasn't too worried about being flooded out in the night.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Quality
I feel a 'desperate bivvy' award coming on...
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think you'd have to award that to everyone TBH Phil :smile:

gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

I feel a 'desperate bivvy' award coming on...
Nah, it wasn't desperate so much as 'that'll do'. Had a tarp as a backup but still aiming for bivi-bag-only this year, which admittedly did feel a bit daft on this occasion.
Verena

Post by Verena »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:08 pm :lol:
Twas shed tastic actually as there are a couple of composting toilets in sheds of their own
Almost as if one of us lot had built it.... :wink: :lol: