Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by RIP »

Oh, yes, sorry, the spinnaker groundsheet. Here it is, still a bit of a porker at 112g but comparable to Tyvek, maybe a bit lighter. As MuddyPete pointed out, it's got a nice little verandah - perhaps for sitting out on with a cocktail on those balmy summer evenings. Rather more down-to-earth, the practical reason is for me to sit/kneel on when self-extracting from the sleeping bag during calls of nature etc etc.

So the spinnaker was a considerable improvement on Tyvek apart from any weight-saving aspect. So the next experiment is a modified space blanket, which I shall test next time. Still fully waterproof of course, tiny packsize, a (very!) small amount of additional insulation, but a featherlight 38g. Its main advantage over polycr[y]o, which I've tried and given up with, is you can see it! Yes, I know there's potentially quite a high crisp-packet feature, and maybe a bit more slippery, but we'll see....

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

Evening all,

I'm new to the forum/bikepacking and was inspired by all the amazing posts to try the 'Bivvy a Month' challenge.

Possibly a daft question, so do humour me! Can I start this month and carry on till next October, or do I have to wait until January to begin?

Many thanks!: )
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Hello and welcome to the lunacy :grin:

You can start any month you want so if you start now you'll have done a year by next September's bivi :-bd

By then you'll have 12 months in a row and will want to keep going so as not to break the steak :lol: Good luck.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Fargoist wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:59 pm Used to be good yoga classes in that park on Sunday's, a bivi and yoga class following morning would be ace.
Oh, if only I’d known! :grin:
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:27 pm Hello and welcome to the lunacy :grin:

You can start any month you want so if you start now you'll have done a year by next September's bivi :-bd

By then you'll have 12 months in a row and will want to keep going so as not to break the steak :lol: Good luck.
Ah OK Many thanks for the info.
Let the lunacy begin! :)
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:27 pm ... so as not to break the steak
That'll be the gourmet camp food bivvy, yes?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:04 pm
sean_iow wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:27 pm ... so as not to break the steak
That'll be the gourmet camp food bivvy, yes?
:lol: should have gone to Specsavers

In my defense I was knocked off by a car on the way home so I'll say it was that which has affected my vision, or was it the driver with the bad eyesight? Apparently they didn't see me :roll:
RIP

Post by RIP »

BridlewayBimbler wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:43 pm
sean_iow wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:27 pm Hello and welcome to the lunacy :grin:

Ah OK Many thanks for the info.
Let the lunacy begin! :)
Welcome to the madhouse. Although as my signature says, the sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round..... who indeed are the lunatics....

As said, you can start any month of course, and after 12 months you are eligible to receive a 'Four Seasons Legion' badge from Stuart. Yes, cue huge "ooohhhh!!" from the assembled brethren. Everybody loves a badge don't they :-bd .

However there's also a separate award (no badge :sad: ) for a full calendar year of 12 bivvies in a row, such as this very thread.....

Good luck and we'll see you out the other side.... if you make it :wink: :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:43 pm ...I was knocked off by a car on the way home...
Gah. No significant harm done I hope?
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:48 pm ...I've never seen Pete "Muddy".. I think we should be told....) ..

Still, those dirndls are rather agreeable aren't they :YMDAYDREAM: .
I cleaned-up my act :smile: .

And those traditional Alpine bib-shorts have a lot going for them, too :wink:
May you always have tail wind.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:08 pm
sean_iow wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:43 pm ...I was knocked off by a car on the way home...
The bike looks ok so that's the important thing :grin: I've ripped open my knee, the one that had just healed from my crash on the trip with Mike, a graze and bruises but I was lucky. She pulled out as I was crossing a roundabout so quite low speed and I was nearly across so she caught the back half instead of running right over me.
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:13 am
Bearlegged wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:08 pm
The bike looks ok so that's the important thing :grin: I've ripped open my knee, the one that had just healed from my crash on the trip with Mike, a graze and bruises but I was lucky. She pulled out as I was crossing a roundabout so quite low speed and I was nearly across so she caught the back half instead of running right over me.
Good grief, bad luck Sean :sad: . Especially with the same knee.

This bollox about "I didn't see you" always sends me incandescent. Well what the hell were you looking at then? Your phone maybe? Bloke pulled out in front of me from a minor road a while ago. I always expect this, fingers on brakes ready etc, so stopped without contact, but then he stops and gets out and rants at me. "I didn't see you, you're wearing all black. And you're not wearing a helmet". Never mind my garish orange bike. Or what I was or wasn't wearing on my head having zero bearing on his (lack of) driving ability.

Bloke was driving a black car. And not wearing a helmet.

Get her reported for driving without DCAA. Of course, it was only a "car accident" wasn't it, but if you'd hit her it would have been "reckless cyclist".

Boab

Post by Boab »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:13 am The bike looks ok so that's the important thing :grin: I've ripped open my knee, the one that had just healed from my crash on the trip with Mike, a graze and bruises but I was lucky. She pulled out as I was crossing a roundabout so quite low speed and I was nearly across so she caught the back half instead of running right over me.
Glad to hear you've escaped without too much harm!
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

An over night at Loch Venechar. Going to try to keep these going. This was on 29th of Sept.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'll put this in as a placeholder for my October BAM.
The remains of an old picnic area / garden at the Llanwyrthl 24hr spar shop. I only got an hour and half's kip so a bit marginal. I'll probably get out for a haloween bivvy towards the end of the month,
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry to hear that Sean, of the accident.

Welcome Bimbler sir/madam. Hopefully I'm starting a new BAM from this month. Last month(s) have been hectic. Hardly any biking. Was doing the loft and asked the wife not to start daughters room.

But she started decorating so I gave up on putting in the joist spacers as I needed to come down and 'will you sort out the walls, they're crumbling'. We already knew that! Then I learnt how to plaster and did em, but I was 'nabbed' for the rest of the decorating.

Half did daughters room, then took the radiator off in the bathroom as might as well change em both whilst the plastering was done! Learnt how to reattach a radiator (and balancing a central heating system - who knew it was a thing). Forgot to nip/tighten one of the lovely new rads in bathroom.

That was a couple of days before the BB200 of which I was looking forward. But all the awkward angles during decoarting and the shake-down training ride in Cotswolds got my back seizing (again - long term injury from 20 years ago involving a Miele washer). Had to cancel the BB200 ride for which I was almost 3/4s ready due to the old back.

Woke up and whilst they set off on the BB200, I set off filling up the central heating (water tank) system. Brought the pressure up, daughter screamed 'living room ceiling is leaking'. Checked and the pipe on radiator was 'squiffing' out water. Turned off water, drained the central hwating system (without opening the bleed ports, so it never bled/drained much).

Ran round simultaneusly looking for an emergency plumber and whacking the ceiling through as the leak looked like a burst pipe 'somewhere there'. Got my mate over, saved £168 on an emergency plumber (1st hour then they quote for the rest), nipped up and redid the radiators. The adrenaline must've sorted out the old back for a bit.

Now, just managed to convince 'the daughter' that she's responsible enough to paint the skirting as I'd done the plastering and the walls-paint. Let her use my 20 year old Purdys. Thought much about the BB200 and what I'd missed (alot of bogs it seems) and what plans of BAM were remaining for the year.

I'm in, phew :o
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Reg... What's R value on that mat pls (and wieght). Nice setup(s).
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

Sorry all, totally forgot to log September's outing. Ventured out with two other chaps with the intention of doing the Peaks 200 route. Day 1 started at Hadfield and was great weather wise. Decent progress was made until a horrible muddy section somewhere in the white peak totally clogged both my wheels up(mudguards & 3" tyres didn't help) I actually had to remove my front wheel to get things spinning again.
Wasn't much later when we all decided the woods we were in would be an ideal camping spot,so set up with the last bit of light fading about 9pm. Made another balls up with my water supply for making my meal..well we all did..there was no water. We managed the best we could,making water resupply a priority in the Morn. Think just over 50 miles had been done..it felt like a lot more :lol:
Descending a fare way first thing certainly wakes you up. We soon realised it was Chatsworth Estate that had put us up . Finding an outside tap at the side of a pub really was a bonus. Oh, I didn't mention it was already raining, and the forecast wasn't great for the rest of the day. The riding was brill with lots of new areas visited, but basically time frames meant we decided to cut the inner loop out.
This turned out a very wise move, the route is tough & conditions were only adding to this. I had a bonus mishap when I lost the bolt from under my brooks B17 and it then duly collapsed :shock:
30 torturous miles later,I didn't want anymore to do with the B17 or any other saddle for that matter. Think the total mileage over the 2 days was just over 100 miles :-bd
9/12 ... 10th will all going well this weekends BB200 :cool:
redefined_cycles

Nice report stinginglip. Enjoy the BB200. Peaks200 is a mighty beast in the wet. One of the locals told me the white Peak can be trecherous due to slipperiness and it shouldn't be attempted in other than summer months :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:17 am Reg... What's R value on that mat pls (and wieght). Nice setup(s).
Dunno exactly... 2.9/3?.... 365g... fine down to pretty much any minus this country can throw at you anyroad...

Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:12 pm Nice report stinginglip. Enjoy the BB200. Peaks200 is a mighty beast in the wet. One of the locals told me the white Peak can be trecherous due to slipperiness and it shouldn't be attempted in other than summer months :smile:
I can vouch for the locals advice..one of the group is riding in the area next week,he is very keen to avoid some of the sections that we had a mare with :lol:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Has anyone else been finding it hard to switch into autumn/ winter bivvy mode (apart from the BB200/300 folk of course...)?

Well I have.... my last BAM seems a VERY long time ago, and it was, right at the beginning of September in the Forest of Dean...and I've had a proper hot and sunny week in the Pyrenees in between too....but the end of October has been looming large, so I thought I'd better get my act together.... Saw this last week and thought, National Crumpet Week, that's as good an excuse as any....let's go Thursday.
ImageIMG_20231018_130746 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Thursday came and went without a BAM, mixture of not having got anything packed and ready (apart from crumpets, butter, and a couple of coffee bags), and CBA.

II have recently started cuban salsa dancing with a few people from work, and there was a salsa party night Friday - I had considered going out after that, thinking that might make quite a funny sort of cinderella type story, me turning into a pumpkin at midnight as I slip my waterproof trousers and buffalo over the top of my frock, testing out the R value of sequins, that sort of thing... but nah, CBA and the weather forecast won....

But last night I finally made it, and of course as soon as I had actually made it out of the door, it was brilliant!

Short ride up to the common, and this time I opted for a spot I have often wanted to try, there's a really beautiful big old dry stone wall, with some very big equally beautiful beech trees along it, and in a few places the wall has partially collapsed, creating a gap to sneak through and duck in behind the wall, out of sight from any possible passers by, into a gap before the stock fencing for the next field, and with a good view of the morning sky.

I'd gone for tarp, just because it's so nice and open, and a simple low lean to design. It had been dry riding up, but as soon as I was in my sleeping bag, it started raining for much of the night.
ImageIMG_20231024_062731 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

It did occur to me that this looked like a bit like I was sleeping in a cage.
ImageIMG_20231024_061612 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Ah well, I thought, all the better to keep the (non existent!) wildlife out :lol: !
No such luck though, as I rolled onto my left side, I swear something was trying to make its way into my right ear...

When I woke up after my first round of sleep, I thought I felt a drop of rain had landed on my eyelid. I went to wipe that away, but my fingertips instead landed on a cold, slimey thing which was of course - a fully grown slug!!!!!

Apart from that, I had what I think was the bestest ever night's sleep on a bivvy. For once, everything was perfect, the pitch was flat, I was warm and toasty, the pillow stayed put, and the best thing was the huge fluffy scarf I had brought, which meant I could keep the wet soggy bivvy bag away from my face, stay warm and still have face out to feel the fresh air.

National Crumpet week had of course ended on 22nd, but I had still brought my breakfast that I had packed for last Thursday.... alas the crumpets had by now grown more mouldy that I was willing to risk, so coffee it was, then home....
ImageIMG_20231024_063704 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

While I was packing up, the cloud was rising up to meet me, and I found that I had been sharing the common with these guys
ImageIMG_20231024_072733 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

The ride home was really quite magical, with a cloud inversion going on.
ImageIMG_20231024_083010 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

So yes, chuffed that I've made it out for the first of the autumn and winter BAMs, I loved it!

10/12
redefined_cycles

Has anyone else been finding it hard to switch into autumn/ winter bivvy mode (apart from the BB200/300 folk of course...)?
Nice report V. Very brave getting out into the forecast storms :o Yes, indeed I've been feeling similar. Only ridden the bike twice in the last month I think now. Been supposed to be getting out all week, but even today when the weather had turned a bit less sloppy I just looked and shrugged and went back off to sleep.

Good encouragement to see your slug-ride though and think it might have convinced me to get up/out in the next 20H or so. Watch this space :sad:
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:38 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:17 am Reg... What's R value on that mat pls (and wieght). Nice setup(s).
Dunno exactly... 2.9/3?.... 365g... fine down to pretty much any minus this country can throw at you anyroad...
Very nice Reg, thanks. So you reckon going any further than 3R is diminishing returns with the excess weight and prices! V interesting as I'm slowly buikding up to seeing about swapping the air mat (maybe).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I hope you fed the moldy crumpets to the slug!
Good one Verena. I'm also feeling a bit CBA about October but my brief snooze on the BB isn't really cutting it enough so I will endeavour to get out this weekend.