Really good egg wanted - and a SPOT tracker

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Really good egg wanted - and a SPOT tracker

Post by slarge »

Hey all,
I am looking for a really good, kind person who has a SPOT tracker, and who is not doing the Highland Trail Race, who would be prepared to lend/hire it to me so I can do the HTR with one (as it's compulsory).

I can probably hire one, but I thought I would ask on here first.

The HTR is the week starting the 24th May, and I would need to get hold of it the week before, and would be able to return it the 1st week in June - obviously it would be borrowed on a "replace it if I damage it" condition. I would (I hope) be able to bring back a nice bottle of malt for such a kind person as well.

Does anyone have one and would be prepared to lend it to me for that time? (Either PM me or drop me a line at "slarge at jaguarlandrover dot com")

Thanks
FLV

Re: Really good egg wanted - and a SPOT tracker

Post by FLV »

alan organised rentals last time. He might again, dunno.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I've got one currently not in use that you could use (I like the idea of something of mine being able to finish the HTR as it's not like I'll be doing it anytime soon).

It's only 1st generation but it works!

I'll be in the UK at the end of the week and could post it to you.

The only downside is that I'd need it returning to France (though inexpensive as it's small and light).

Let me know if you want it.

Gairy.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Thanks Gairy, but fantasticmrmatt has offered his.

Dave, have been discussing with Alan via email and thought I would get organised early. Alan got a US bloke to bring a load over last year and then Mike Hall took them back before the Tour Divide as they were needed for that. 'Twas a bit stressful apparently as there wasn't much time between the two races.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Can anyone clarify for me: When using a spot for events with trackleaders (and donating a fee for the service) I assume the spot still needs to be linked to a yearly subscription? If so, unless using regularly it is probably cheaper to rent (if available) even if you can get hold of a spot?
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

If anyone else needs to borrow a Spot for the Highland Trail, mine is available. First generation, so its a bit of a brick, but it works.

SteveH - you do need a subscription for it to work. But if you borrow from someone who has a subscription, they can set up a profile in your name when they lend it to you. You'd have to ask Al about how that works for rental units.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Cheers Aidan, that's what I thought - looks like I better pay the subscription then,
gairym

Post by gairym »

slarge wrote:Thanks Gairy, but fantasticmrmatt has offered his.
No worries - enjoy!
slarge

Post by slarge »

Steve, the way I understand it is that the Spot needs a yearly subscription that offers general tracking, and then if you want to be tracked as part of a race or event you pay an additional fee to be setup for that event.
kbrembo

Post by kbrembo »

If anyone wants to purchase a Gen3..cheapest in UK let me know.
I am doing the HRT and lucky for me the company I opened an account with SPOT as we supply windfarms etc with them :-)
This is not a personal sales pitch an they go through official sales channels.

I have sold a few already to HT 2014 riders

The subscription is around 100 euro for basic tracking at 10 min intervals..the subscription is 100% purchased through SPOT

Drop me a PM and I will give you my mobile...
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

kbrembo - I can't seem to pm you. Could you email me? 31satara AT tiscali DOT co DOT uk. Cheers, Steve